Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014, 21:16   #31
Full Member+

Re: Paint Pot cup match thread (Carlisle United)

I hope Proctor can bring some purpose and know how to our midfield otherwise its going to be a long hard season. Our centre backs played more incisive forward passes than any of the midfield tonight
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2014, 21:19   #32
God Member

Only 536 home fans bothered turning up tonight.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:21   #33
God Member

Officials were a disgrace but so were the 'fans' who were booing the lads & shouting ridiculous insults instead of getting behind the team - I know everyone's entitled to their opinion but that sort of ridicule does no one any good!!
yonmon likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:23   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That second half was utter crap,poor officials cannot excuse being slower to the ball.
Old 02-09-2014, 21:27   #35
God Member

We really can,t keep blaming officials they were,nt to blame for an all round poor performance keep playing like that you get beat how ever poor the opposition.
DAV007 likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:38   #36
Senior Member+

Very poor tonight and Carlisle were by far the better team.
Our game plan seems to be go long and fight for the second ball,unfortunately they won most of the second balls and played some nice football.
The last three games we have had a settled back four and keeper,but once again we got rinsed (seven goals?).
We need to learn how to defend first and get them clean sheets on board or it will be all uphill.
Lost count of lads out of position and it caused all kinds of problems.
You can't blame individuals as we should defend as a team and be a lot more compact.
Hopefully Proccy will give this as he's very vocal and a leader.
Big game on Saturday and we can't conceed 2+ goals again
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:46   #37
Senior Member+

Your ever positive Choirboy reporting here on tonights match v Carlisle.......
but I am finding it very difficult to take any real positives from tonights performance........
We started quite well capped by a lovely finish by Carver lobbing the Carlisle keeper from out wide....Carver was one of three players tonight to come out of the match with any real credit.......
The other two were Atkinson who was as steady as a rock and Aldred who played well although he was 'beaten' for a header at the far post for one of their goals. (Tom claimed to the Referee, sorry "Numpty Bloke in black", that he was being held down but to no avail).
Their third goal possibly ranks as "The worst ever refereeing decision in the history of football".......:b igglasse with what looked like the most blatant offside ever! A Carlisle player was jogging back onto the pitch from behind the goal when a weak effort on goal was going gently back to our keeper...knowing that he was miles offside he casually glanced a head at the ball and it went over our keeper into the net. (He could have been booked for it!) The Carlisle fans did NOT cheer or claim a goal and after our keeper picked up the ball and rolled it forward, perhaps a bit too far, for a free kick another Carlisle player seemed to roll the ball back again to our keeper in acceptance that a free kick would be given for offside! Unbelievably the linesman did not flag, the referee absconded any responsibilty for making a decision. In spite of impassioned protests from several of our team the goal was allowed to stand!!!!!!!:ma d:
It is bad enough having to play with about seven players on our side but against thirteen the task was simply too much!
Hope that Procky can make a difference.
Perhaps Hunt or Deano could go at right back , pushing Buxton further upfield with Liddle back in at left back. Pierro with Procky in midfield. Gray and Carver up front.....??????
Also, Tom Aldred pushed up front for the last ten or twelve minutes and perhaps he clould do a job there.......who knows?
Anyway.....off to bed now for more nightmares but I will endeavour to wake up tomorrow as positive as ever....
ON STANLEY ON!
AccyMad and Outback Ozzy like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:51   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
We really can,t keep blaming officials they were,nt to blame for an all round poor performance keep playing like that you get beat how ever poor the opposition.
Yes we can. However, your point about the performance is also correct. I fear for Stanley on Saturday. Thought we started brightly and played some decent football on the deck, however, players must learn they are not good enough to do fancy footwork to get passed a defender, pass the ball! Seemed after we scored, they sat on the lead for 3 minutes until Carlisle scored then went to pot until the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half. Why oh why did we not use all 3 subs? And the players must learn that the officials (however poor they may be) must not be argued with, they won't change there minds which is why it seems we are playing against 14 at the moment.

I also fear for the numbers in the crowd on Saturday. If as has been said only less than 550 home supporters turned up tonight, and we keep serving up the rubbish we saw tonight, then heaven help us.
choirboy likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 21:54   #39
Senior Member+

Third goal was interesting!,my first reaction was to look at the linesman as he was near us and windass was near him( very close to the by-line,)I can only presume he thought he was playing the goal score on-side ,weird goal !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 22:01   #40
God Member

Shambles. Balance, structure, any sniff of a game plan all absent this evening.

Can't bring myself to pick apart the desperate inadequacies of our flanks in both attack and defence (which continue to leave us overrun and stretched from central areas). Will leave a positive comment for Marcus Carver who made a top finish his own and worked ever so hard against an experienced centre half in O'Hanlon.

Back four of Hunt, Aldred, Atkinson and Winnard for Tranmere please. Joyce and Procter holding. Shay, Mingoia and Hatfield rotating. Gray up top.
choirboy likes this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 22:08   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Can't bring myself to pick apart the desperate inadequacies of our flanks in both attack and defence (which continue to leave us overrun and stretched from central areas). Will leave a positive comment for Marcus Carver who made a top finish his own and worked ever so hard against an experienced centre half in O'Hanlon.

Back four of Hunt, Aldred, Atkinson and Winnard for Tranmere please. Joyce and Procter holding. Shay, Mingoia and Hatfield rotating. Gray up top.
I agree Shaker......Sounds better to me.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 22:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Midfield is the main problem and we need to learn how to defend set pieces and corners. The latter can be worked on in training, James needs to select the right players in midfield....and he hasn't done it yet! Shaker's suggestion sounds worth a go on Satueday, please take note Mr Beattie. and Shaker won't say I told you so............
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 23:05   #43
Senior Member+

Why is no one asking the question is Beattie up to the job?
BTLawson likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 23:17   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Why is no one asking the question is Beattie up to the job?
Maybe because no-one wants to deprive you of the pleasure of asking that question - we all knew you would at some point, it was just a matter of time
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 23:42   #45

Very disappointing once again. For the third consecutive game in a row, we have been in a winning position but have failed to go on and close out the result.

It was there for all to see that we started the game well and deservedly took the lead through a great Carver goal (who was fantastic tonight by the way) but having equalized, Carlisle took control of the game and deservedly won in the end. Yes the third goal was farcical (just when you think the officials can't get any worse...), but nonetheless we didn't do enough to win the game and would have lost 2-1 anyway.

Bowerman was completely ineffective; why Beattie took so long to make a change is beyond me, especially after conceding so early in the second half. It was clear to see the game was going stale, yet our manager just sat on the wall and made his changes too late-not for the first time. The team looked worryingly disjointed and short on attacking ideas for large parts of the second half.

As people have already said, the fullback areas and central midfield are our main areas of concern; we looked vulnerable again tonight when Carlisle came forward. Hopefully the return of Dr Procter will go some way to addressing the issues in the centre; his midfield partnership with Joyce was a rock during the play off season and can hopefully be replicated somewhat.

Mustoe doesn't look ready to me yet for league 2 football. If fit, I would like to see Liddle given a start at left back, or alternatively Deano. Again, we were again exposed in the right back area with Buxton caught out of position; I would like to see Nicky Hunt return his best role at right back.

Buxton is much more effective further up the pitch. Unlike many of the players in our current squad, he has the confidence and the ability to run with the ball and take his man on. Personally, I would like to see him given a more advanced role on the right at the expense of Naismith, the consistently inconsistent man. He was poor again tonight, greedy both in possession and from set pieces.

My Saturday team would be:

Lumley
Hunt Alred Atkinson Liddle
Procter Joyce
Buxton Hatfield Mingoia
Carver

Last edited by BTLawson; 02-09-2014 at 23:45. Reason: incomplete
BTLawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..