Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2020, 18:45   #1276
God Member

Re: Former Players!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
I suppose this is as good a thread as any for this quiz about former Stanley players. I amazed myself by getting 8/10!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qu...anley-players/
Even more amazed that I got 9/10 and feel shamed that the one I got wrong was one my all-time heroes.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2020, 20:57   #1277
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
I suppose this is as good a thread as any for this quiz about former Stanley players. I amazed myself by getting 8/10!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qu...anley-players/
Don't want to brag but I got all 10 (it's probably a bit easier for us ladies cos we tend to know what their legs look like )
MikeA and Exile on Spencer St like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 08:31   #1278
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Arron Chapman released by Peterborough been a bit downhill for him since he left us.
I think Aaron lost confidence as soon as Peterborough came out of their winning run. Coley and Jimmy have proved many, many times how they can reinvigorate the confidence of players who have drifted into the wilderness. Aaron would not necessarily be the automatic first choice for many Stanley fans but, if we are struggling to sign on a couple of decent keepers, he could still be a good signing for us at the right cost, in terms of salary. A fully confident Aaron Chapman is a pretty good goalie IMHO.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 08:33   #1279
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
An interesting read. He had so much potential but experienced so many problems. He could make a great coach as he would have empathy in abundance with players career problems. Good luck to him.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 08:50   #1280
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
. A fully confident Aaron Chapman is a pretty good goalie IMHO.
compared to evtimov he is international standard. the former is to goalkeeping what zanzala is to clever forward play and balance.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 11:15   #1281
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
I think Aaron lost confidence as soon as Peterborough came out of their winning run. Coley and Jimmy have proved many, many times how they can reinvigorate the confidence of players who have drifted into the wilderness. Aaron would not necessarily be the automatic first choice for many Stanley fans but, if we are struggling to sign on a couple of decent keepers, he could still be a good signing for us at the right cost, in terms of salary. A fully confident Aaron Chapman is a pretty good goalie IMHO.
Aaron is definitely a confidence player & it would be good to see him back but it was reported when he left for Peterborough that they'd offered him 3 x the wages we were paying him, I doubt he'd be willing to take that much of a cut
Old 14-06-2020, 11:17   #1282
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
compared to evtimov he is international standard. the former is to goalkeeping what zanzala is to clever forward play and balance.
Ouch!, that's a bit harsh on Dimi
Old 14-06-2020, 12:59   #1283
God Member

I liked Aarron great lad great personality wasn't the best keeper at low down shots but during John,s long tenure Goalkeeper and left back for some reason been problematic positions often leading to both positions being occupied by loannees, Joe Jacobson was probably the last really good permanent left back we had as for goalies not many that wer,nt loannees stand out for me so good luck John in finding a good replacement Savin looks ok but as with any youngster time will tell.
monkey hanger likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 13:02   #1284
Senior Member+

We should have signed Nick Anderton when we had the chance.
choirboy likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 13:24   #1285
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Not a bad player wages would have been an issue should imagine a bit injury prone as well.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 15:09   #1286
Super Moderator

Quote:
Go on then?

When did we have the chance ?

Highish wages, fee paid to his former club, loan signing to ASFC authorised in the strangest manner ever and then an injury.

Cracking lad in his spell with us, but when some sense returned at Bloomfield Road he wasn't ( to my knowledge) coming our way at that stage
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 16:18   #1287
Senior Member+

When a player isn’t wanted by his parent club then anyone can make an offer?
A bit touchy that response Mark ?
Old 14-06-2020, 16:20   #1288
Senior Member+

If you’re saying he was too expensive - Wages and a fee that’s fine.
Old 14-06-2020, 16:24   #1289
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Aaron is definitely a confidence player & it would be good to see him back but it was reported when he left for Peterborough that they'd offered him 3 x the wages we were paying him, I doubt he'd be willing to take that much of a cut
Correct Di.
He got himself a cracking deal.
Cant see him taking a 60% cut ........ but then again if no offers .......
Old 14-06-2020, 17:57   #1290
Super Moderator

Quote:
When a player isn’t wanted by his parent club then anyone can make an offer?
A bit touchy that response Mark ?
Reply not meant as "touchy"

Reply was that he came our way as a "result" of "strange issues" at his parent club.

IF he wasn't wanted by the then Manager at his parent club in Jan, why wasn't the loan extended ?? And why (from memory) was FA Cup permission not given to ASFC?

My thoughts remain, parent club "politics"
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..