Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2016, 08:04   #16
God Member

Re: Defining Moment ??...a thread for today !.

Not at the races tonight looked lethargic Mooney,s distribution awful long punts upfield to no one Conneely clearly struggling with the flu bug that has floored Buxton, need to go back to basics for Saturday neat patient passing game that as brought about our success this season hopefully more home fans on Saturday last night for such an important game was simply not good enough but expected nothing else from the Accy public.
monkey hanger likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2016, 08:19   #17
God Member

Man for man they were better; faster, fitter, hungrier, classier. They chased down our possession and gave us no time on the ball to build anything. I cant recall any meaningful shot on target from us.

It could just be a bad day at the office, but it was a huge game for both sides and perhaps their wage bill has bought big game mentality? All of their players have that experience and attitude to deal with it whereas much of our squad is young with no experience to speak of.

For me only Billy Kee and Brad Halliday can take any credit from that game, the rest were woefully short of what they can do. The defence were run ragged by probably the most talented forward line in the league, Roberts was a class above whenever he got the ball.

Final note to their fans. I've not heard a louder set of fans on The Crown in over 30 years, what a shame that they only one song and that its only 2 lines long. Their numbers and our songbook would be worth a 15 point headstart every season at this level. At full time the Stanley fans were singing to Billy Kee, the tannoy was yapping away and Pompey were still imploring themselves to "play up". Good on 'em, 584 midweek to Accrington? We dont take that to Morecambe!
AccyMad and Chrisr like this.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:40   #18
God Member

at least we got beat by a side playing football as in the past we,ve been turned over by the in your face ale house sides using week officials in getting away with questionable tactics. the writing was on the wall for us from the kick off and looked more up for it than we did. until they scored however their play in the last quarter of the field was poor as ours. if we,d have kept the first out it might have been a different result. second was an unlucky mistake and the third was goal of the season quality. if wayne rooney had scored it news at ten would have been extended to show it from ever angle possible and interviews with every football expert on the planet.
AccyMad likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:42   #19
Senior Member+

Thought Brayden Shaw looked bright when he come on, never easy coming on when you're 0-3 down though!

Must win game Saturday!
AccyMad, Redraine and cashman like this.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:10   #20
God Member

Apparently we had a gentlemen's agreement with Pompey not to play Boco after he was allowed to leave and sign for us, and Cook rightly so was fuming when he saw the team sheet's described as his needle going through the roof what a pre-match motivational tool for them cock up on our part me think,s.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:03   #21
Resting in Peace

I felt very sorry for Coley last night at the final whistle when he came over to clap the ClaytonEnd End as usual, but by the time he got there nearly everyone had scarpered. I wouldn't blame him if he was demoralised by the lack of home numbers recently, although those who did turn up on the terrace gave good support considering the fare on offer. He did his part last night by making decently timed subs but you have to say the players let him down.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:07   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Apparently we had a gentlemen's agreement with Pompey not to play Boco after he was allowed to leave and sign for us, and Cook rightly so was fuming when he saw the team sheet's described as his needle going through the roof what a pre-match motivational tool for them cock up on our part me think,s.
That's ok to say but with the injuries/suspensions etc. that we have I think that if there was such an agreement it was fair enough to waive it - let's face it, it doesn't take much for Cooky to get wound up, after all Rommy didn't get much chance to actually play when at Pompey & ended up out on loan at Waterlooville so can't see the reasoning behind it really
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:16   #23
Senior Member+

To be fair they did to us what we are good at !!,pressed the ball,good movement,strong in the tackle and good composure.
From the off our shape didn't look right and I thought shay was playing alongside Billy and we ended up more of a 4-4-2
With conneely under the weather and Crooksey unsure who to press we got dominated by good players.
Time and time again they attacked us down the flanks and got numerous quality balls in.
Unsure why we swapped the fullbacks after 20 minutes but it didn't work and the score line could and should have been more.
More worrying is the keeper who's confidence seems to have disappeared.
We seemed a tired team and 2 points from 4 games suggests it won't get any easier.
Back to basics for me,clean sheets and build from there.
AccyMad and Outback Ozzy like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:40   #24
Full Member+

Just watched Coley's assesment of the game and I can't really disagree. However with a massive game against Plymouth on Saturday I do fear we are lacking the quality at the moment with so many of our first team out. It is going to be the test of the season. If we can get 3 points we can still get back on track. If we lose we will be struggling to stay in the play offs.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:48   #25

" with so many of our first team out "

How many would that be ? Just curious
Old 09-03-2016, 14:01   #26

I think Windass has been a massive miss, Etheridge better keeper and Winnard is probabaly our best defender. Gornell would have made a diff last night helping Billy. All missing last night.

Also we could do with Crooksy's more athletic goalscoring alter ego back in the side. Does anyone know when he's due back?
monkey hanger likes this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 14:16   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thought the tall young lad that came on last night, was a good help up front.
Old 09-03-2016, 15:24   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thought the tall young lad that came on last night, was a good help up front.
Braydon Shaw was that tall young lad and yes, maybe give him a start on Saturday and give Piero a rest on the bench (not that he has done much wrong, player of the season up to now for me). Hopefully Bucko will be back in defence and Josh (if fit, as Coley has intimated), Ross back in the nets an Boco instead of McConville (too many times caught on the ball in too many matches of late). We shall see what team the enlightened one plays on Saturday (other than Plymouth for the comedians amongst us).

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 15:26   #29

So not really many of first team out then ??
Old 09-03-2016, 16:14   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
I think Windass has been a massive miss, Etheridge better keeper and Winnard is probabaly our best defender. Gornell would have made a diff last night helping Billy. All missing last night.

Also we could do with Crooksy's more athletic goalscoring alter ego back in the side. Does anyone know when he's due back?
Have to disagree Billy Casper add Buxton to those 3 and 4 is a big miss imho

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..