Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2016, 09:33   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Playoff Leg 1 - Away at Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
We're all gutted, & it's a long long journey home but can't believe some of the comments on Sean Mac, or can I? He might not have had a good game but apparently he was drafted in because Fossu was carrying a knock so not a case of Coley crumbling as has been said - as for wishing that one of our own players would get sent off?? Really??? I give up!
That's the vibe that I picked up to Accy Mad about Fosu possibly carrying a 'knock'.
I really do not like the excessive criticism of Seam Mac on this thread. some of you are just going too far with it boys.
Now, I agree that Sean was our least effective player last night and has been on other occasions. But being the least effective player in a team that has a had a great season does not make him 'Rubbish' as some are suggesting. We all know that Sean would admit to making a big error leaving Stanley when he did to chase the 'dollars' with a'Bigger club', (true at the time!) He also his way, his fitness and his confidence for the next couple of seasons. Coley and Jimmy brought him back and he has improved significantly. I thought that he played quite well in the two thirds of the season. Last night he did some good defensive work, (as far as I could see that is!) Since the injuries to Crooks and Windass we have lost the supreme passing game in midfield that was so effective in taking us up the league in the middle months of the season. Yes, Windass has returned and he has played well with some great surging runs and opposing defenders but the passing game has not returned. What this means therefore and seems to be so obvious to me is that we have found it so much more difficult to 'feed our wingers'. Pierro is one of my all time Stanley Favourite players but no one is mentioning how ineffective he has been in the last six or seven matches...... There have been matches recently when Pierro has not got past his opposing full back once. Last night he only took his on full back on the 'outside' once late in the match and his ball in to the penalty box caused real problems. Some observers have said our opponents in recent matches have 'done their homework on us' and 'stopped us playing'. Really the truth IMHO is that we are far less effective and creative without Crooks. Yes Sean is our weakest player but some of the vitriol being used here is unacceptable! ...Mini Rant Over!

Last nights match......My view......(as far as I could see!)
Great trip down on the coaches with no motorway problems. When we got to the services there were 'guards' protecting the soft toys which found the ceiling lights when we were travelling to Arriving at the 'Kingstonian' ground there were lots of Womble fans milling about in the sun. The ground is a lovely compact affair with good facilities in general. My daughter and I found the bar, (a healthily long bar it was too!) got a pint and half each of quite nice cask ale and returned outside into the sun. we had some good conversations with very friendly kindred spirits in blue scarves some of whom are travelling up next Wednesday. Eventually we wandered round to the 'Away' ground allocation.

The referee on paper will appear to have had a 'good game' not booking one single player and having 'let the game flow'. What this allowed though was the development of more and more pushing and shoving as the game went on. Particularly from the likes of Darius Charles, (remember Stevenage five years ago?) This set up Akinfenwa to have a 'free license' to come on and throw his weight about literally! Coley alluded to this in his report too and I think he was referring to Akinfenwa pushing in the build up to their goal.
We didn't play particularly well but we did not deserve to lose the match! Destiny seems to working against us along with opponents, referees and lady luck!
Outstanding players for us were Hughes who was superbly cool and used all his experience particularly against the towering centre forward who was eventually replaced by 'The Beast'. Davies too played well as did Buxton, Pearson and Etherridge. In other words we excelled in defence and I will repeat, we did not deserve to lose! We struggled up front as we found it difficult o build from midfield but Seamus and Josh played well on the whole. Billy, Sean and Pierro got very few opportunities against an oppressive defence aided by some lenient refereeing! Half way through the second half i was calling for the ref to book one or two players, (from either side!) to sort out the pushing and shoving which for me spoiled the match.

Well on to Wednesday and like coley, I firmly believe that we can still come out of this Victorious.
Come on Stanley supporters.....100% behind whatever team is selected and let's carry our team to victory on a TIDAL WAVE OF STANLEY SUPPORT

AccyMad and chevyfire like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2016, 09:40   #77

I was impressed with a few Conneely actions going forward on high-lights early in the season, but saw nothing at all of that kind in the last two games. With Brown in the side you seem to get a little too much of the same game. Can you really afford to play two deep-lying midfielders in a must-win game? Made since away, but I doubt that it is a winning concept.
Personally I was more upset with the Stevenage failure. Thought Stanley contained Wimbledon well, and were the better side for 75 minutes. There was never ever going to be more than one goal in it, even though there were penalty calls and a shot against the post.
Problem is that this is a defensively strong line-up. Can't see it score two. And two at least will be needed.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:41   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Those slighting the selection of Sean can go whistle. His defending was more assured than Fosu's would ever have been, and you know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC4LAB View Post
Thought Billy did a lot of good work in defending corners ,coming back for set pieces etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Last night he (McConville) did some good defensive work,

It's a bit of a worry if we praise attackers for their defending abilities.
smudgie and Redraine like this.

Last edited by Revived Red; 15-05-2016 at 09:48. Reason: Extra quote!!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:41   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Sorry choirboy disagree, whats really unacceptable is a player who had approx 10 good games 5 years ago, and never improved on that, being brought back, for reasons any fool can see. also having a contract extension.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:30   #80
Senior Member+

Finally watched the game and I thought we did OK and controlled the tempo for long periods without hurting them.
The game sort of changed when the big fella came on and did what he's been doing for years.
Not long ago he terrorised Liverpools defenders,and it's difficult to control him.
I would always play a high line and we dropped a little deeper (fatigue?,I don't know).
A draw would have been fair IMO,but I can see similarities to our last playoff campaign,goals dry up and look a bit jaded.
Pitch will be key on Wednesday as I can't see us out muscling them.
I thought we played their wide men well,but crosses started coming as we tired.
Maybe Bocco could have been given a run,he's another who can make something happen.
AccyMad likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 10:35   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I also thought a draw woulda been a fair result, so if we start with 11 men weds, we still got a good chance imho.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:42   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I also thought a draw woulda been a fair result, so if we start with 11 men weds, we still got a good chance imho.
The debate will rage on !!!,but he didn't play against Stevenage and the goals didn't come,if fact I'd say the first half against them was our worst of the season IMO
Rooney has been crap for three years,but you will always play him as its in his locker to win the game.(have I just compared Sean to Rooney ?😂&#128514
Greger and yonmon like this.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:49   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
The debate will rage on !!!,but he didn't play against Stevenage and the goals didn't come,if fact I'd say the first half against them was our worst of the season IMO
Rooney has been crap for three years,but you will always play him as its in his locker to win the game.(have I just compared Sean to Rooney ?����)
Yeh been drinking? just remind me what happened when we played Satanage in the play-offs? i forget. i cant comment on the recent game was in Germany.
football19 likes this.
Old 15-05-2016, 10:55   #84
God Member

Pearson wont be dropped to accomodate anyone. He's the epitome of what Coleman wants on the field and is our 'hardest' player. Evet present and has played across the back four and midfield.

I agree that Halliday (at full back) is a miss but you'd have to drop Bucko to and move Pearson to bring him in. I thought Bucko was possibly our best player last night.

Brown too, haf a good game. I thought that maybe Boco could be the key to unlocking a tight 2nd leg but in all honesty Coley would be hung from the Town Hall balcony if he pinned his hopes on Boco.

Kee, whilst ineffective at scoring, also had a decent game with two or three attenpts snd constantly dropping in to keep the ball moving. I like to have Gornell available but he's a straight like for like swap with Kee, and Billy is better at it. A few weeks ago Billy took a knock and leaving him on cost us - at Coley's admission. So last night it was guaranteed he would come off.

I've a feeling Coley will spring a huge surprise on wednesday and change the formation to get as many match winners on as possible
AccyMad, choirboy and Dav1d like this.
Old 15-05-2016, 11:00   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Hope yer right Macca, Boco or Mcarten would be fine wi me. as a straight swap. or fosu if fully fit even.
smudgie and monkey hanger like this.
Old 15-05-2016, 11:32   #86
God Member

I've a feeling Coley will spring a huge surprise on wednesday and change the formation to get as many match winners on as possible[/QUOTE]

problem is if he keeps the same side and we don,t win he,ll be criticised for it and if he changes a few things he,ll be criticised again for tinkering with a well tried formula if we don,t win. very difficult few days for him. I,d go a bit gung ho against a side that,s not getting younger but I haven,t got a coaching badge so what do I know.
AccyMad and Greeny like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 12:11   #87
Senior Member+

Once Coley picks the bones out of the game,he'll have a game plan to win,it's how the lads execute it that counts.
We have enough to win the game,but I think he needs to freshen things up IMO,we have enough players chomping at the bit !!!
Wouldn't play mccarten on the left,tried it preseason,didn't work and the games too big to take chances,especially early on.
Old 15-05-2016, 12:22   #88
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=football19; the games too big to take chances,especially early on.[/QUOTE]

You are too risk averse pal. Remember how you didn't want Coley to give Fosu a start? Just remind me - how many goals, assists and keeper fine saves has he paid us back with during the small number of starts he's had? Remember, "we all know we're a team of gamblers!"��
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 12:24   #89
Full Member+

I hope I can make Blackpool away, it had better not be a night game.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 12:37   #90
Senior Member+

Sorry Macca, but I don't agree that Gornell is a like-for-like swap with Kee. Gornell is much more mobile and, in modern jargon, is able to "run the channels" in a way that Billy seems unable to do at the moment. Gornell drops deeper to collect the ball and run at defenders, Kee waits for the ball to come to him and ends up tussling with defenders. Again, just my opinion.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..