Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree169Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2017, 15:08   #196

Re: Clayton End development?

'So come on then whats this atmosphere that comes from the cowshed?? We stand Clayton End near the cowshed end and we have never witnessed it. on that basis how can it be any worse on that side?'

Its not the atmosphere from the Cowshed.

The new stand is likely to dwarf the rest of the ground according to initial plans. If it ends up largely empty it will give a vacous feel like being in an Ikea warehouse. What noise is created will end up sounding tinny. A small crowd in a small space just gives more atmosphere than a small crowd in a big space.

So if we can fill it no probs.

That being said I do love the Cowshed.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2017, 17:22   #197
God Member

I get the idea that a new stand would create a worse atmosphere - some would vacate the Clayton End, some would vacate the main stand, so those areas would suffer and we could end up with 3 quiet stands.

However, 3 points come to mind.

1) the new stand would allow for development of the away end by giving us somewhere to put them.

2) I'd like to see the new stand be designated as a family stand. We would put concerted efforts into increasing that particular area. I would leave the Clayton End if we had a specific area to go to, as it stands my 9 year old stands on his own because he cant see - and I dont like that

3) we've had numerous moans on here recently (and rightly so) because of having to give seats up for non-STH games. Fact is we dont have enough seats to give some to away fans, some to media/hospitality/scouts/players etc AND then have enough left over for STH to sit where they went AND then leave enough seats together for groups

We dont know Andy's Grand Plan, and I'm not convinced that Andy does. Thus far he has done diddly squat with regards to getting the kids in. I know for a fact he would like to, and I know for a fact that he speaks often about legacy, and community. It's his momey that he's spending and his money that he's losing by not having hoardes of kids through the gate. I'm fairly sure that he wants both points to end sooner rather than later
KiTChener likes this.
Old 29-08-2017, 17:41   #198
Senior Member+

If it's not increasing capacity like some people say it's hardly going to be a 10,000 seater stand is it?

If you was an away fan and you'd seen it was expecting showers you'd think twice about coming!

Like people have said, The Cow Shed is out dated now if the money is there, then why not? Andy has said he will never risk anything so he must be pretty happy with the financial side of the new stand?

Maybe it will have offices in the new stand that we can rent out all year round or hospitality?

Also, who's to say the commercial team dont have or won't have a sponsor lined up to sponsor the new stand?...Hard to convince someone to put thousands of pounds in to sponsor the Cow Shed as it is now...
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 29-08-2017, 19:27   #199

Andy holt been talking about this again tonight on twitter says will need the capacity and better without the seats that didn't fit, info to follow but it won't have a Concourse, and be able to drop the coppice end at some point, will be all seater.
Old 29-08-2017, 19:46   #200
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
I can't recall from the original planning application, but surely the new stand as proposed was intended to provide more than just seats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
.... I can't get away from the fact a large empty stand contributes to a poor matchday atmosphere.
In answer to His Lordship, yes, but there are only much needed toilets, several kiosks, store and plant rooms on the ground floor beneath the seating. No changing rooms or offices.

The reason, Inspector Morse, is because it is not a "large" stand that has been approved. Just a modest improvement that would, I suggest, give a much better view of the game, and facilities, than the existing 'stands'.

If you want to check yourself, search for Application No. 11/16/0132 on Hyndburn's planning web page.
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 20:19   #201

'If you want to check yourself, search for Application No. 11/16/0132 on Hyndburn's planning web page.'

Thanks for that: after looking I must agree its a lot more in keeping with scale of the rest of the ground than I initially thought. If home fans start using 3 sides there will be a dilution of the crowd/atmosphere but I guess you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 20:58   #202
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Bournemouth's ground see anything familiar?? and The Wham Stadium. Cowshed would look nicer if it was like that
Old 29-08-2017, 21:11   #203

Most businesses who want to attract more customers, retain staff etc tend to have half decent premises. Generally with room for growth. Don't see why Stanley should be any different.

It's hard to see how Mr Holt can make Stanley into more of a prospect for growing the fan base, for attracting more Away fans, future players (and managers when Coley goes) with the cowshed and coppice as they are. Whilst they have a certain loveable charm, they still verge on being embarrassing.

(Not that there's any guarantee that a better ground will lead to a brighter future).

I'm happy with the way things are but have no grumble if someone wants to make improvements.
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:42   #204
God Member

. If home fans start using 3 sides there will be a dilution of the crowd/atmosphere but I guess you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.[/QUOTE]

if the cow shed replacement is for home fans then away ones will have to be allocated part of the main stand for seating. don,t think coley would enjoy carlisle fans in his ear all game.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:10   #205
Senior Member+

A new all-seater stand on the Whinney Hill side could be split into 4 or perhaps even 6 sections, with 1 or 2 at the Coppice end allocated to visiting fans, depending on expected attendance. Away fans who wanted the retro experience of the open uncovered terrace behind the goal should also still have the option of the Coppice terrace, which should also be splittable (Stanley section near the Main stand) should excessive demand from home fans make it necessary.

Away turnstiles and catering in the Whinney Hill / Coppice corner (catering in the first block of the new stand).
Old 30-08-2017, 12:49   #206

I think it would be a mistake to downgrade the stand to save money

Be much better to make rentable office space to let out to fund the difference in quality of stand.Maybe Andy has some staff he could relocate there and pay rent or maybe he knows of another company wanting office space to rent. I always thought a row of industrial units up against the fence in the car park at the Coppice end would bring in a tidy income with minimal effect on the operations at the ground.
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 16:02   #207
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL View Post
I think it would be a mistake to downgrade the stand to save money

Be much better to make rentable office space to let out to fund the difference in quality of stand.Maybe Andy has some staff he could relocate there and pay rent or maybe he knows of another company wanting office space to rent. I always thought a row of industrial units up against the fence in the car park at the Coppice end would bring in a tidy income with minimal effect on the operations at the ground.
Aye, but the landlord would most likely want its cut first.
Old 30-08-2017, 16:54   #208
Senior Member+

I am fully in favour of Andy Holt's plan for the building of a 'New Stand' on the Whinney Hill side of the ground. I have just had another look at the 'video' on the 'Fishy Site' which was posted last year.
Before any further development is likely to be undertaken though I think that Andy and the club should complete the purchase of the ground from the council. I believe that they are working on this now.

After which from my understanding, these would be the salient points;

a) A 'New Stand' will make our club 'visibly' more professional and will bring the ground closer to Football League standards.
b) It will make hardly any difference to the Capacity which will remain just over 5,000.
c) The stand will feature much more suitable and respectful accommodation for those fans requiring wheelchair access. I think that this is very important. This would be easy to access from the new Clayton End car park.
d) The stand would not be 'MASSIVE' at all as it would only be about 10 to 12 rows deep but it should give fans a good spectator experience with the seats built on a steeper slope up to the back.
e) If the stand was to be used for both Home and Away fans then we should satisfy the League requirements for the total required number of seats.
f) The stand will house '21st Century' toilets and catering outlets, like in the Clayton End which are super!
g) As has been said by earlier posters the allocation to Away fans can be on a flexible basis depending on the size of the visiting clubs 'following'.
h) It would be another grand step in Andy Holt's super plan to bring the whole ground up to standard.
j) Andy could then plan to complete the ground by developing the Coppice End with a roof, better toilet and catering facilities and changing rooms and medical rooms for the players.

Finally, IMHO. Regarding the 'static' number of Stanley followers. I appreciate that further ground developments cannot guarantee any increase in numbers from the Accy public. However, without any ground improvements the number of Stanley fans is very unlikely to go up at all! I feel that we need to play to a half empty stadium some of the time in order to be able to have a full stadium when we get a good cup draw against clubs from higher divisions and for when we play Blackburn rovers next season!
Think how many we could have got on to the ground for FA Cup matches like we have had in the past against Newcastle, Fulham, Burnley etc.
Andy has really done well for us so far. Exemplified in the ground improvement done so far and in the business of getting players signed up on two year contracts. Just look at the income from the sales this summer of Pearson, McCarten and Beckles. In previous years these players probably would NOT have signed up for another one year contract and all three would have left the club for NOTHING! EXCELLENT BUSINESS indeed!
Let's put our trust in Andy to run the business side of the club and to make us a more professional outfit and trust in our two Legends John and Jimmy to continue their miracles on the pitch!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS WITH THE STANLEY
AND WITH ANDY, JOHN AND JIMMY

Last edited by choirboy; 30-08-2017 at 16:56.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 17:43   #209
God Member

Great post, Choirboy.
Old 30-08-2017, 19:51   #210
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
I feel that we need to play to a half empty stadium some of the time in order to be able to have a full stadium when we get a good cup draw against clubs from higher divisions and for when we play Blackburn rovers next season!
You think Rovers will stay up in League One?
AccyMad, Wynonie Harris and Chimer like this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..