Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2016, 22:55   #16

Re: Well Done Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstanley asfc View Post
Well done Reds!! I thought it was heading towards another penalty shoot out.
Me too,I'd just ordered another pint when we scored
cashman likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2016, 22:56   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
By all means revel in the victory because we deserve to but if I were a Burnley fan it wouldn't really bother me much as when we play in the paintpot or Rangers played in the Petrofac cup. That is modern football unfortunately as money rules instead of winning trophies. That is why they are trying to change the farce that is the "champions league" because the winners get less than the bottom of the premiership.

I remember the real days of cup football when giant killers killed real giants and you could wind up the fans of the big clubs but now only we care, they don't.

But we still beat them so as far as we are concerned it is our night and we deserve it. Roll on West Ham and hopefully they treat this cup with the same contempt.
Have to disagree Dunc, Burnley played a team they thought could do us no doubt at all, they even brought Grey @Arfield on to make sure, I think Stanley fought like hell and credit were its due, we earned that result.
Old 24-08-2016, 23:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have to disagree Dunc, Burnley played a team they thought could do us no doubt at all, they even brought Grey @Arfield on to make sure, I think Stanley fought like hell and credit were its due, we earned that result.
I would agree that it was a team that should have beat us and we did fight like hell to keep up and deserved the win but had they played their team from Saturday I would hazard a guess that it would have been an entirely different outcome but it wasn't and we deserve all the credit for beating them.

What I am saying is that I have been there as a fan of the big club. Once with Rangers when they lost with a significantly weakened team against Queen on the South in our equivalent to the paintpot. I work in Dumfries and some of the locals at work tried to make a big thing about it but to be honest it meant nothingto me. That is the difference between fans of big clubs and small clubs these days. Some competitions are an irrelevance to some clubs and the higher you go the more they don't care.

It's not what football used to be about or should be about but those days are long gone now. I'm sure we both remember those days where pride mattered more than money but not anymore unfortunately.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:36   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
And they brought on Boyd. It may have been a weakened team in terms of names, but hardly a weakened team in terms of resources both financial and infrastructure. I cannot believe that Burnley did not want to win.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:41   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
to be honest it meant nothingto me.
Surprising! I want Stanley to win every game, whether it be a cup game, a league game or a "meaningless" pre-season friendly against supposedly weaker opposition.
Kiwi John likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 02:22   #21

(To be imagined in an excitable Norwegian accent)....We did it! We have done it! Jimmy Ad-am-son! ....Jimmy An-der-son! Can you hear me? Ralph Coates! Pe-ter Noble! We did it! Al-as-Tair Campbell! Tony Blair can you hear me? Lord Town-e-ley. Lady Town-e-ley. Lady Ted Lord. Lady boys. Acc-ring-ton Stan-ley One Burn-e-ley Nil! Maggie Philbin can you hear me?
YOUR BOYS TOOK A HELL OF. A BEATING!!!!

(some artistic license here)
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:19   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Darreners View Post
(To be imagined in an excitable Norwegian accent)....We did it! We have done it! Jimmy Ad-am-son! ....Jimmy An-der-son! Can you hear me? Ralph Coates! Pe-ter Noble! We did it! Al-as-Tair Campbell! Tony Blair can you hear me? Lord Town-e-ley. Lady Town-e-ley. Lady Ted Lord. Lady boys. Acc-ring-ton Stan-ley One Burn-e-ley Nil! Maggie Philbin can you hear me?
YOUR BOYS TOOK A HELL OF. A BEATING!!!!

(some artistic license here)
it may interest you Red Darren,that the famous piece of commentary you refer to is played on a semi regular basis here on NZs Radio Sport.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:32   #23
God Member

Great result STANLEY. I got to watch the first 80 minutes courtesy of Bet 365 and the weather gods providing rain. Alas, the clouds parted and I had to head off to work. Got the result on the phone and went ballistic !. The player that caught my eye was our right winger,O'Sullivan?,but I thought Stanleys all round effort was the best I've seen in the 5 games I've been able to watch via the internet.Most impressed by the singing from the Clayton End-it came through loud and clear. Top marks to Stanley and the Ultras.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 06:03   #24
Senior Member+

I said we had a great chance of winning after watching them on Saturday and the lads didn't disappoint!!!
Well done everybody
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 06:28   #25
God Member

Does it feel any less good this morning?? No, it flippin doesn't -
Just hope we've got enough left in the tank to do the same to Morecambe on Saturday!!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 07:08   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Me too,I'd just ordered another pint when we scored
I ordered another pint AFTER we scored! I was in a very friendly local in Shropshire with mainly Wolves fans. After a couple of hours, they got quite absorbed in the match, cheered when Matty scored and even sang 'We can see you sneaking out' at the end!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 07:50   #27
God Member

Quote:
We did really well and I would agree well done Stanley because we got the result and that is all that matters but in the grand scheme of things we beat Burnley reserves with a bit of luck because they should have scored on more than one occassion but didn't. Coupled with the fact that McCarten should have been off for that challenge where he got a yellow but he wasn't so our good luck.

We can only beat the team that is put in front of us and it's not our fault that Premiership clubs treat this cup the same as we treat the new incarnation of the paint pot so lets enjoy it as we are through but gone are the days where these games are real giant killing games because the giants couldn't give a monkeys these days.

Their loss and our gain but lets not go overboard more than we have to
I bet you're great fun at parties

To me, the type of competition isn't important in the slightest. Nor is the fact that we have been drawn against more Premier League opposition in West Ham.

In 5 years time no one will remember dodgy referee decisions for both sides, the profligacy of the opposition or their line up (which, incidentally, should have been more than enough to beat a League Two side - especially with the subs).

What people will remember is the night we faced a top flight East Lancashire neighbour in a competitive fixture and actually won. Aside from pre-season friendlies, the last time we played this lot we were rattling buckets in a bid to save our own skins.

For my grandparents who saw us play and then disappear from Peel Park, for those in my generation who had the p*** taken out of us for wearing Asda-emblazoned Stanley shirts on non-uniform day, and for the young lads and ladettes whose first taste of Stanley was the cruel departure from the League Two play-off race last season, last night was absolutely spectacular. Joy, ecstasy and a beautiful vindication for taking the low road; supporting a team whose own town despises its existence despite its on-going defiance to remain a Football League outfit. The attendance may have been a disappointment last night, but as with all these magical nights, there will be a new handful of people who are now as besotted by Stanley as the rest of us.

If you can't be romantic as an Accrington Stanley fan, what's the point?

Well done to John, Jimmy, all the players and Naz the kitman. Thank you!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:14   #28
God Member

lets hear no more of this we only beat a weakened burnley team nonesence. they are premier league players and squad players, payed loads more than our lads do. you can only play against whats playing against you. we won last night and no one will ever know if we,d have won against their side of last saturday. lets milk it before we go up against the mighty shrimps on saturday.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:25   #29
God Member

Accrington 1-0 Burnley AET | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Watch the highlights, Duncan, and tell me it doesn't matter!
Great, great night. I feel sorry for those silly sods who could have been there but weren't, and missed one of the best nights at The Wham.
Well done to the entire squad, management, and all the loyal fans who made it happen.
Looking forward to a night out at the Olympic Stadium.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:17   #30
Senior Member+

What a fantastic result.

Gutted I was away working and had to miss it, though I did manage to catch it on TV.

Must say the back 5 where magnificent. What a find Beckles is, looks like a 30 year old with 300 games already.

Also thought Parish was brilliant in goal.

Roll on Saturday.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..