Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2016, 10:02   #16
God Member

Re: Hammers post match thoughts

Great performance from the players and the fans. As someone said, seeing Stanley playing at a stadium like that was surreal.
Really pleased that Omar produced a brilliant display in front of so many of his friends, he and 'Man Mountain' Pearson were immense. But so many players gave their all it wouldn't be fair to single any one as MotM.
Well done to the entire squad.
cashman, yonmon, sherry and 1 others like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2016, 11:06   #17

Absolutely brilliant display last night. Would be difficult to name a man of the match as the whole team were outstanding. I bet Chelsea is breathing a sigh of relief as they only have West Ham to beat in the next round.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:11   #18
Senior Member+

Sooooooo....... PROUD of everyone who represented ACCRINGTON STANLEY last night on such a big stage against Premier League West Ham United in London and on the media!
TO A MAN the PLAYERS were simply MAGNIFICENT and were a credit to JOHN COLEMAN and JIMMY and the rest of the staff.........
THE STANLEY FAITHFUL were just 'OUT OF THIS WORLD' in their vocal support!!!!!

It was an amazing feeling entering the Olympic Stadium to watch 'Little Old Stanley' from League Two play against such lofty opponents. The ground is wonderful but West Ham are still finding their way in learning how to best use the stadium for their fans. Talking to some 'Bobbies' on the approach to the ground they didn't seem to understand their role and were somewhat disparaging of West Ham's lines of communication. Their seemed to be far more stewards around than was necessary but they were friendly enough but could have offered a smile or two more!
Before the match I was anxious about the position of the Stanley Faithful in the ground. In the end I was quite happy, in that we were in the lower section and behind and to one side of the goals, and we had a good view of the field of play.

The match was simply a wonderful display of all that is good about STANLEY and the way that COLEY likes our team to play. The pitch was a little wider than ours and this gave us more opportunity to play our passing game. I did a TV interview for International Reuters before the match and when asked for my pre-match thoughts, I suggested that if Stanley did not concede a goal early on then the longer that the match went on, then the more likely we would win by single goal....... I was nearly proved correct but for that man with the 'Magic foot'...PAYET!

First half was pretty even but with West Ham having far more possession than us. However, when we did get the ball we always looked good moving forward and with Brown and Coneely working superbly together we moved the ball up the pitch using our inter-passing mode of play. Coneely was back to his best form of last season and he was the hub of most of our play. The defence looked prettycool and 'quite at home' in a well organised formation but were always willing to make the right decision when to put the ball out of play into Row Z98. West Ham should have scored on 13 minutes though when their centre forward got behind our defence but he got the ball abit too close to his feet and I think it was Pearson who made the saving tackle! Beckles and Pearson compliment each other so well. Beckles would not have looked out his depth even had he been wearing a West Ham shirt playing for them! Half time came with a 0 - 0 scoreline and my confidence started to grow even more!

West Ham manager Bilic knew that a positive result for them would require their top men to be on the pitch and he brought on Lanzini and Payet! West Ham started the second half with a much more 'pacey' approach and initially put our defence under a lot of pressure. The boys stood firm though and keeper Parish looked solid making a couple of saves when needed. The longer the game went on though the more we came into it and we matched them 'toe to toe' in an end to end affair! In the closing minutes of the ninety they won a series of corners and put us under a lot of pressure and on about 85 minutes Parish produced a SUPERB SAVE from a 25 yard shot which was going in the bottom right corner. He stretched wonderfully and finger tipped the ball round the post for yet another corner. West Ham went down to 10 men when a player had to go off with an injury from what I would describe as 'a robust tackle' a few minutes earlier. I was counting down the minutes and thinking....."Extra time against Ten Men..We can win this!"....when a desperate tackle gave West Ham a free kick just 20 yards out!......
PAYET strode up......... and it was all over!!!!!!96th minute!!!!!!!!

Well done to all the fans who travelled down from up north , and to our 'southern' fan base too for turning out in such numbers, and for contributing to a wonderful night that will live long in our memories and in the HISTORY OF ACCRINGTON STANLEY....

Its a big job for John and Jimmy to pick the players up for Saturday at Colchester but the players should be confident that they can beat any other team on any given day in League Two!!"

ON STANLEY ON
SO PROUD........ SO PROUD .....SO PROUD...

choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:26   #19
Full Member+

well how do I follow that????
As I entered the stadium it seemed to stretch and became bigger and wider. I felt like Alice in Wonderland , the atmosphere was electric , brilliant , breathe taking.. Stanley played out of their skin and gave the Hammers a run for their money . This was our cup final and Stanley was out to prove they could give as much as they got and boy did they do just that .The officials were a credit too , a decent ref at last.
We didn't lose ( in our hearts anyway ) our lads can hold their heads high and be very proud of their performance , it was a big stage and we were top of the bill.
AccyMad, yonmon, sherry and 2 others like this.
Greeny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:27   #20
Senior Member+

If anyone's not familiar with this site and has some spare time on their hands, there's a whole page or more of reports and comments here: NewsNow: Accrington Stanley news | Breaking News 24/7

Worth adding to your 'Favourites' if it's not there already.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:40   #21
Senior Member+

Just watched super 4 minutes 44 seconds of highlights on official West Ham website....
It was Donacien who made the super tackle on 13 minutes.
The coverage is very fair and showed Stanley in a positive light!
I don't know how to set up a link for you to watch it but I am sure one of you will know how to set it up?
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 12:38   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Just watched super 4 minutes 44 seconds of highlights on official West Ham website....
It was Donacien who made the super tackle on 13 minutes.
The coverage is very fair and showed Stanley in a positive light!
I don't know how to set up a link for you to watch it but I am sure one of you will know how to set it up?
Try this:
Highlights - West Ham Utd 1-0 Accrington | West Ham United
cashman likes this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 13:08   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Pages 32-36 of the hammers Knees Up Mother Brown deals with thoughts after the match, worth a read.
Old 22-09-2016, 14:34   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Pages 32-36 of the hammers Knees Up Mother Brown deals with thoughts after the match, worth a read.
Very interesting read. Fans either totally p****d off because their team of 'foreigners' (their words) ONLY cost £23million (!) or claiming that just beating Stanley with a 96 minute free kick is 'the turning point' for their season.
Wow!
Kinda feel sorry for those Hammers fans who suspect 'their' club has become just another subsidiary of Corporate Soccer Inc.
Old 22-09-2016, 14:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
i think some of our current div.2 opponents should read this not naming any sides but we know who they are.
Excellent performance by all accounts last night. You did League 2 and our North West region proud.

As a Shrimp fan it ain't easy saying the above but credit where credit is due.
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 17:45   #26

Quote:
It's Knees Up Mother Brown - West Ham United FC Online: Forum ? View topic - West Ham Utd v Accrington Stanley: match thread if anyone wants a look, though in fairness there's not a huge lot about Stanley on there - mostly our lot wailing and gnashing their teeth.

Same rules as here - other teams fans very welcome on KUMB if you behave (not suggesting that you wouldn't, just making clear that non-Irons are welcome)
kludgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 17:51   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Very interesting read. Fans either totally p****d off because their team of 'foreigners' (their words) ONLY cost £23million (!) or claiming that just beating Stanley with a 96 minute free kick is 'the turning point' for their season.
Wow!
Kinda feel sorry for those Hammers fans who suspect 'their' club has become just another subsidiary of Corporate Soccer Inc.
To put that "only" into perspective, there's a lot of context around the largely hot air emanating from the board about their net spending. A couple of seasons ago, we would have considered that a lot as well.

Believe me, after conceding 11 goals in 3 games, a clean sheet against a team from 3 divisions below is a marked improved, even as poorly as we played for a lot of it.
kludgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:25   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thinking after the event, WHY? when teams have a freekick from a scoring position do teams no longer seem to place a defender on each post? sure older fans will remember, that always used to be the case? for me that goal may have been prevented if we did it? not a criticism but an observation for future.
choirboy likes this.
Old 23-09-2016, 08:41   #29
God Member

Quote:
Thinking after the event, WHY? when teams have a freekick from a scoring position do teams no longer seem to place a defender on each post?)
Professor Coleman did allude to the having a man on the post but that would then allow the opposition to stand in front of the goalie and not be offside.
Payet's world class at scoring from there. He runs hard and fast towards the penalty area and the opposing defenders with the express hope of being tackled. He has the skill and speed to make it difficult to defend, other than let him keep running and see if he's as accurate when shooting when him and the ball are moving.
Payet is at WHU because he seems to do it 9 times out of 10. Ryan was one of Stanley's better free kick 'experts' but, at League 2 level, it's more likely to be once out of ten.
Old 23-09-2016, 08:53   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Professor Coleman did allude to the having a man on the post but that would then allow the opposition to stand in front of the goalie and not be offside.
Payet's world class at scoring from there. He runs hard and fast towards the penalty area and the opposing defenders with the express hope of being tackled. He has the skill and speed to make it difficult to defend, other than let him keep running and see if he's as accurate when shooting when him and the ball are moving.
Payet is at WHU because he seems to do it 9 times out of 10. Ryan was one of Stanley's better free kick 'experts' but, at League 2 level, it's more likely to be once out of ten.
True but a world class player like Payet is, i suggest it would be a much better tactic to employ?
choirboy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..