Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2016, 17:16   #61

Re: Cambridge Blues

According to Coley, Billy was carrying a knock and couldn't take the penalties. Eagles and Gornell stepped up to take, one can only assume they were confident of scoring. Shame Matty didn't pick up the ball first, as it was his header for the second penalty that cheating Brad Halliday stopped on the line with his hand!

Well done Stanley, the lads were unlucky today, sometimes cheating works and there's nothing you can do about it.
KiTChener likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2016, 17:25   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Billy was carrying a knock and couldn't kick the ball, WHY was he still on the pitch? those that traveled, deserve an answer to that.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 01-10-2016, 17:31   #63
God Member

I haven't had a pint, yet, so I'm less sanguine than Phil about today's performance. It was crap.
Cambridge just hassled Stanley at every turn and Stanley did not have the skill to beat them with all their pitty patty short passing, nor the nous to find the space away from their players. A draw would have almost been undeserved. Both penalties were at mid height right into the path of the diving keeper. He wasn't that good, but will no doubt be regarded a hero in Cambridge.
Only highlight of the game was Mingoia's brilliantly volleyed goal; as if his inch-perfect cross for their first wasn't enough pain to take.
Best attacking player on the pitch for first half was Boco. Most ineffective was McMarmite, who was completely nullified by Halliday. So, second half, McMarmite gets moved to the right wing (on account of him not having a left foot, maybe?) and Boco gets sidelined out on the left. It was only when Rommy decided to go looking for the ball later in the second half that he got back into the game. So for first twenty minutes of the second half, we sacrificed our most attacking player in order to accommodate our worst. Introducing two subs with a few minutes to go was the least of the problems today.
I think it'll take more than one pint to forget that display.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:32   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Billy was carrying a knock and couldn't kick the ball, WHY was he still on the pitch? those that traveled, deserve an answer to that.
Agree, Cashy.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:48   #65
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I get the feeling that you would criticise if 2 players who were on the pitch full 90 minutes would have missed pens because they were too tired. To say 2 players who had played 5 mins before the pen weren't properly warmed up is farcical. Its a shot from 12 yards with around a 4 yard run. Of course they were warmed up enough for that. Anyone can miss penalties, thats football.

Overall thought we were unlucky to go in one behind at half time and then played well to equalise but from then on were dreadful, giving away cheap possession but then we seemed to kick in final 15 mins before a breakaway Cambridge goal. The last minutes were unbelievable, never seen the like in football
AccyStan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:52   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyStan1962 View Post
I get the feeling that you would criticise if 2 players who were on the pitch full 90 minutes would have missed pens because they were too tired. To say 2 players who had played 5 mins before the pen weren't properly warmed up is farcical. Its a shot from 12 yards with around a 4 yard run. Of course they were warmed up enough for that. Anyone can miss penalties, thats football.

Overall thought we were unlucky to go in one behind at half time and then played well to equalise but from then on were dreadful, giving away cheap possession but then we seemed to kick in final 15 mins before a breakaway Cambridge goal. The last minutes were unbelievable, never seen the like in football
Get any feeling yeh want i couldn't care less.
Old 01-10-2016, 18:01   #67

The more I think about the match the less believable it becomes. Last year's hero scores late winning volleyed goal against us. Last year's defensive hero, who we would let him sh** our wives, turns arch villain.
Two subs both taking penalties and missing both in bloody injury time. Our hot shot striker being too injured to take them. In a grand period of 15 mins.

Think I've just got an outline plot for a short film. Can't decide whether it will be action or comedy.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 19:26   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
The more I think about the match the less believable it becomes.

Think I've just got an outline plot for a short film. Can't decide whether it will be action or comedy.

Think more a tragedy!!!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 19:39   #69
Senior Member+

On for the whole game, on for five minutes doesn't mean a thing, confidence and wanting it are the things that matter BUT not wanting it just to be a hero, wanting it because you know you're going to score unless the keeper gets lucky. I,m still shaking my head, also we all know what Mingoia can do if you give him room, there are no mates on the pitch he should have been over the line before halftime!!!
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 20:32   #70

Not at todays match, but followed it when possible on the BBC sports app. Couldn't believe the 60% plus possession Stanley seemed to have in the first 15 minutes and the amount of fouls committed by Cambridge, which almost appeared to be one every few minutes. Thought we were going to walk it until they scored in the 14th minute. Then the BBC app failed after half time, so shocked when I heard what happened in the second half!!!
Any team that can't convert the gift of two penalties so late in the game don't deserve to claim to be contenders for promotion. After Tuesday's game against Mansfield, when 'sky high' Lacy wasted two valuable free kicks in front of goal before punting another one over the Clayton end in the dying minutes, I think the first order of the day for squad training should be shooting practise.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 21:03   #71
God Member

Can't comment on today's game as wasn't there but if I remember rightly it was Steven Hewitt who on Tuesday took the two free kicks which went into orbit & not Paddy Lacey - if you're going to slag a player off at least get the right one??
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 21:42   #72
Junior Member+

From my memory it was Hewitt with the first and Lacey with the second on Tuesday
AccyStan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 22:16   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Can't comment on today's game as wasn't there but if I remember rightly it was Steven Hewitt who on Tuesday took the two free kicks which went into orbit & not Paddy Lacey - if you're going to slag a player off at least get the right one??
My night vision ain't what it used to be, especially when the free kicks at the far end of the field, so if I was mistaken I apologise to Mr Lacey.
I shall be making an appointment at Specsavers first thing Monday to have my monocle checked. However, whether it was Lacey or Hewitt, it doesn't alter the fact that we cannot afford to squander valuable scoring opportunities when they present themselves.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 22:18   #74
God Member

Hewitt definitely took the two towards the Coppice End on Tuesday, he did ok during the game but please JC don't put the lad on free kicks again anytime soon - Sean was also in the vicinity before the kicks were taken & can't help thinking if he'd taken them with the same outcome there'd have been pages on here about it ��
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 22:21   #75
I am Banned

Could be worse could be the Yeovil fan that got kicked out by Plymouth stewards for signing a chant at the Plymouth 'murderer' keeper
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..