Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2016, 19:06   #46
God Member

Re: Leyton orient match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19
From a football point of view,we are definitely a top ten team
That's why we are 1 place above the league 2 relegation zone!
smudgie likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2016, 19:21   #47
Senior Member+

Four games ago Cambridge were near the bottom,started scoring and are now are two points from the playoffs!!
As I said before it's a strange league this year
AccyMad likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 19:30   #48

Without a doubt, the league table does not lie. But! It sometimes deceives. We aren't converting chances. Last season we scored in almost every game, but we needed and created many more chances in games than we are doing this season. Our approach play is often better but we don' t seem to have the urgency we had last year. We'd often shoot from anywhere and it would trickle in or get a deflection....and Windass was a master of running into the box and falling over a leg .......we need more of the same...... less attractive approach play and more direct shooting and running..... Rommy's the only player who does this in the current team......reading this back it sounds like rubbish.... but some of you may know what I'm getting at?😉
AccyMad and Chrisr like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 19:36   #49
God Member

Like last week at Woking, the sending off turned the match into a different game. Prior to that, it was a great, end-to-end tussle with both sides showing intent.
I, and others, were puzzled why our 'proper' captain was sat on the bench, along with an apparently fully-fit left-back, but the players on the pitch were really getting into their stride for the first 20 minutes. The midfield of Messrs Davies, Brown, and Lacey was, I thought, starting to show great promise. Then, I suspect because he's isn't a full back, our 'temporary' captain lets one their better forwards get past him and 'pulls' him down. Very harsh red card, but the ref and the linesman on our side were a couple of idiots and, after what seemed like a five minute chat together, decided McMarmite had to go. About the only positive to take from that was at least it was him, and not another Stanley player, who might have really been missed.
After that it was much harder work, with Lacey once again 'relegated' to playing left-back and losing what influence he'd begun to exert in midfield. But all ten Stanley players really gave their best. No-one left on the field had a bad game. I'm not even sure that, for once, the substitutions were a good idea. Replacing Gornell, who seems to have gained a bit of muscle and was battling well with their big centre backs, with McCarten wasn't really effective. Orient's back line of four weren't going anywhere near the half way line, so there was no space for McCarten to exploit. BTW, he ain't Payet, and needs to spend the next two weeks doing extra practice until he can at least hit the target.
I've seen Stanley play worse and win. But, Orient were also not a bad team and had some tricky forwards who, but for one scrappy, scrambled, goal, were pretty well contained by our defence.
But there's plenty of good teams who've gone down claiming they were constantly unlucky and Stanley have no reason, on today's result, to think it can't happen to them.
AccyMad, cashman and yonmon like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 21:27   #50
God Member

McConville incorrectly sent off as Beckles was covering. Orient scored via a handball. Things not going our way but hardly a crisis. Much ado about a little bit more than nothing.
AccyMad, cashman and monkey hanger like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 21:46   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
I think that's a little pessimistic Yonmon but at the moment we are on the wrong end of some very fine margins. Orient today hardly had a shot on target, whether against 11 or 10. They managed a spawny goal and then survived a goalmouth scramble where we were desperately unlucky not to score. Could have easily held out for a point otherwise. Best to keep our heads rather than start to speculate about misfortunes ahead. We need to offer more threat up front, no question, but Coley has always found the solution from within and we should give him some trust that he can turn this around.
Of course I fervently hope that this will be the case Phil, but I do get despondent when viewing the clean sheets kept against us !.

Perhaps, as Jnr. Is always reminding me, I really do expect too much from a developing team.

On Stanley, On to greater things !... is still my battle cry!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 21:58   #52
God Member

I take it back. The ref wasn't an idiot. He was a completely cretinous buffoon who shouldn't be allowed to referee a game of tiddly-winks. Move over Mr.Kettle, you've lost the top spot in the Table of Numpties.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 22:09   #53
God Member

Knew as soon as I saw it was Drysdale in the middle this afternoon that it'd be a rocky road ��
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:17   #54
Senior Member+

Exile has summed it up perfectly. McConville's foul should have been a yellow card - but why on earth is he playing as full back? He was on the wrong side of the attacker when he fouled him and the result was inevitable. What has happened to Callam Jones, a full back? With Jordan Clark playing like a left winger should play, and John O playing well on the right, there is clearly no place for McConville as a winger. It really does seem now that someone is ensuring that McConville has to play - somehere. As for making him captain, that is beyond a joke. Terry Gornell was captain; if he is not available, surely Matty Pearson or Mark Hughes should have the role.

I also want to comment on Aaron Chapman. A player of his size should dominate that goal area but he is very reluctant to come out and claim set pieces.

As Exile says, it was hard to fault any of the 10 players yesterday. But it is a fact that Alex Cisak did not have a real shot to save. McCartan's appalling free kick at the end summed it up. Despite what he may think, he does not have the skill of Payet or Messi to threaten the net from that position. That free kick should have been played off to another player to create a gap in the defensive wall. A classic training ground situation. Does the training not anticipate this?
smudgie likes this.

Last edited by Revived Red; 11-12-2016 at 09:23.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:26   #55
God Member

I believe that Callum Jones is back at his parent Club - injured I think??

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:29   #56
Junior Member+

Is that the same Sean who's played superbly at left back in the last 3 or 4 games?
AccyStan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:57   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
I believe that Callum Jones is back at his parent Club - injured I think??

Thanks, Joe. I don't recall seeing him mentioned, but I am probably wrong.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:09   #58
Senior Member+

OK for the first time ever I am going to be critical of Beckles. When the cross came in for the goal he just got bullied by the centre forward. Should have cleared that away no problem.
The team is desperate for a forward. The supply routes are fine but we rarely win the first ball and even worse the second ball.
January is critical. Two forwards in even if loan deals. There are some good young lads playing in the under 21s at major clubs that would jump at the chance for three months to make their mark.
I know it was League One not Two - but two loan signings turned Barnsley into world beaters - Fletcher and Isgrove. They are there these nuggets - just go to go out there and find them and invest a little. Premiership teams and some Championship clubs will even pay a big portion of their wages.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:10   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyStan1962 View Post
Is that the same Sean who's played superbly at left back in the last 3 or 4 games?
"Played superbly"?? "For 3 or 4 games"?? Can you be exact, please, about how many games he has actually played full back? As for his performance in the Yeovil game, I certainly would not say that it was "superb". Nor would another spectator whose views I respect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Although I usually keep my thoughts close to my chest where the chosen one, who made a real mess of it all this afternoon when attempting to convince everyone that he could play full back !....I cannot help but point towards the 17 times when he cleared the ball without a glance as to where it might eventually finish up !. This failure to perform the basic skills of Soccer almost persuades me to join the ranks of those who pour vitriol on his shortcomings .
Old 11-12-2016, 11:10   #60
Full Member+

get off the lads back FFS there are quite a few players not playing up to scratch and they are playing in their normal positions.
AccyMad and Chimer like this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..