Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2017, 08:22   #1

Ultras!

I've seen occasional references here and there that what I thought were the Ultras (i.e., the ones right in the middle of the Clayton End) might not be Ultras? That the Ultras are no more or, that there's not as many Ultras as there used to be.

What's the story? Where did they come from and where did they go, and what made someone an Ultra?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2017, 12:11   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Ultras!

killed by the club and its idiotic health and safety implementation
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:47   #3
I am Banned

Started dying since jase got banned after Newcastle game, never really picked up again
cashman and mab like this.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:10   #4

Look back on kipax website to the conference days, see the displays. Check YouTube for the noise, songs, atmosphere it was home and away! The home displays where something of magic! Constant noise, lowey coming out with some right banter to normally the goal keeper!
Old 19-03-2017, 16:25   #5
I am Banned

Something needs doing to bring them days back, something I used to look forward too, the colour and the noise
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:42   #6

The reason I'm stuck with a ~£250 season ticket for the rest of my life.

Not a clayton ender at the moment but the atmosphere from those lads got me hooked as a 10-15 year old.
cashman likes this.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:50   #7

Thanks - I checked it out on YouTube: The Dale Cabrese song looked brilliant. Also, the praise from other clubs for the noise and passion.

(Very similar to Cremonese last Saturday where their Ultras also sang Dale Cabrese, waved flags, set off flares and sang throughout.)

Makes a big difference. Notts County, Bradford and Crewe away this year had plenty of singing and were ace. Luton and Carlisle, by contrast, like a wake.

Cup matches apart the home atmosphere has not been what it was last year. A shame.
Old 19-03-2017, 19:01   #8
Senior Member+

When the current 'Clayton Enders' are on song and in good form the singing is very reminiscent of the days of 'The Stanley Ultras'. What is missing now are the flags and banners which Jase and a few other 'Young Ultras' were deeply committed to making. To me it seemed that Jase provided the artistic flair and most of the ideas but he had a few helpers and they all spent many hours preparing some wonderful banners and flags and planning how we greeted our players running out onto the turf!
The one banner that sticks in my mind was the superb 'Bobby Robson' banner when we played Newcastle United at home in the FA Cup. The banner was designed to pay homage to a true football legend who had manged Newcastle, England and other clubs.......Sir Bobby Robson. The love for Bobby seemed to cut across club loyalties and he was so respected throughout the game of football!
The Newcastle fans were suitably impressed.

Ironically it was at the end of this match when the imported IDIOTIC STEWARDS caused a load of unnecessary trouble and singled out Jase. He got banned and has only been on the ground a few times in the last couple of seasons.
It would take quite a commitment for another young group to emulate what Jase and his team did in the Conference and early League Two years.
If there is a team with a desire and the flair out there I am sure that it could happen again.
I know that I am one old codger who would love it to happen again!
ON STANLEY ON
COME ON YOU ULTRAS

KiTChener, cashman, yonmon and 2 others like this.

Last edited by choirboy; 19-03-2017 at 19:05.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 19:50   #9

It's what got me hooked too! My first game was the first home game of the conference winning season! And the noise and the flags was what got me hooked. How every home game got louder and the displays got better! I remember when the players was running out just a sea of flags on the Clayton end! Red and white banners. Also what sticks in my mind is when we loaned Paul Mullin out and 30mins before kick off! Constant noise and songs than soon as kick off started a 10minute protests of silence! Than after that 10min was 80mins off noise constant loud noise!
Old 20-03-2017, 07:49   #10
God Member

went to the newcastle game and i,ve got to say if we could get that type of atmosphere back then gates would improve. best way you can improve things for me.
st06nc2 likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:25   #11

I must say it's the best way I can think of, apart from winning games, to get people to the ground. I know it's not to everyone's taste (my parents hate the drum, although my dad takes his hearing aid out now so can put up with it) but I think it's great being in a noisy, singing crowd.
More of a community spirit if it's done without too much bad language or too much aggression.

I rarely watch matches on telly any more - the Premier League standard is a million miles better than it was in the 70s/80s, but I generally get bored and switch off after 10 mins.

Who could not want to be here...... Fourth tier of their domestic league system. a club that averages 1,100 fans..... who recently nearly went bust......

cashman likes this.
Old 21-03-2017, 09:47   #12
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1190447]I must say it's the best way I can think of, apart from winning games, to get people to the ground. I know it's not to everyone's taste (my parents hate the drum, although my dad takes his hearing aid out now so can put up with it) but I think it's great being in a noisy, singing crowd.
More of a community spirit if it's done without too much bad language or too much aggression.

used to love going to grounds where you got a mass of singing swaying hordes where you stood still and ended up twenty feet nearer the front. proper atmosphere and even a poor game and defeat was offset by the experiance. the old den at millwall was worth the admission price just for the atmosphere alone, but sadly those days are over with all seater grounds, elf and sadie etc. at least i was born early enough to be part of the old scene which i,m sure a lot of younger fans would crave for.
cashman and choirboy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 16:04   #13
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1190513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I must say it's the best way I can think of, apart from winning games, to get people to the ground. I know it's not to everyone's taste (my parents hate the drum, although my dad takes his hearing aid out now so can put up with it) but I think it's great being in a noisy, singing crowd.

used to love going to grounds where you got a mass of singing swaying hordes where you stood still and ended up twenty feet nearer the front. proper atmosphere and even a poor game and defeat was offset by the experiance. the old den at millwall was worth the admission price just for the atmosphere alone, but sadly those days are over with all seater grounds, elf and sadie etc. at least i was born early enough to be part of the old scene which i,m sure a lot of younger fans would crave for.
Aye..... when Stanley resigned form the league in 1962 I was only Ten!
I still had to get my football fix though, so one Saturday late in the season I got on the Manchester bus in Melbourne Street. When I got off in the centre of Manchester I 'used my initiative' and spotted some red and white scarves and just followed them! Three miles and over an hour later after a very long walk I eventually arrived at Old Trafford! I went into the Stretford End which was as Monkey Hanger describes and it was simply awesome! I remember being carried around in the 'Sway' by the bigger folk around me. I remember too that when blokes need a pee they just did it on the terraces with a little circle opening up around them to allow them to off load their recycled ale! I also remember on one or two occasions that when someone fainted in the Stretford End they simply lifted them up and passed them overhead down to The St John's Ambulance volunteers down at the front!

When I got home at about 7.30 pm my Mum really gave me a rollicking but I think secretly that my Dad was quite impressed with my determination and resourcefulness!
I continued to go to Old Trafford for a few years and eventually found the local bus service to save me the long walks! The days of "Best, Law and Charlton" were wonderful and I thought that the atmosphere there was fantastic.
Seated Stadia had to happen because of the stupid actions of hooligans but is perhaps still appropriate for the larger grounds in the Premier League. I love the atmosphere in the Clayton End and I hope that we are able to maintain standing at our smaller grounds!

Last edited by choirboy; 21-03-2017 at 16:07.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 17:52   #14
God Member

We must be contemporaries, Choirboy. I too was 10 in '62 and probably contributed to Stanley's demise by sneaking into Peel Park once too often.
As I recall the bus from Melbourne St arrived in Manchester just a short walk to Central Station and then an even shorter train ride to Old Trafford.
And only 1/6d, which was cheap even then, to get in the Stretford End to watch Best, Charlton, Crerand, Stiles and, my boyhood hero, The King.
Don't remember the surges down the terrace as being all fun though; saw one lad go down and get crushed.
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 19:07   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
used to love going to grounds where you got a mass of singing swaying hordes where you stood still and ended up twenty feet nearer the front.
I can relate to that sentiment MH, used to spend lots of time at Anfield in the Kop end, late 70's early 80's, as a young Scally, singing & chanting for 90+ minutes, win lose or draw heading home after the match well content.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..