Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree685Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2017, 10:59   #226

Re: Signings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
I think Deeayess makes some good points.
Sensible to be wary of any individual who exerts sole control over any entity.
At the end of the day Holt is a businessman and not the Holy Mothers of the Poor.
If business situation were to change perfectly understandable that he would drop Stanley like a stone as it's only a hobby.
Not anti Holt or pessimistic just realistic.
Do wonder sometimes about the good cop/bad cop Holt/Burgess thing.
Thanks for getting my point. I don't think he is the anti christ all I'm saying is pay attention to what's going on. And on that note, I have other things to be concerned about just now as I'm in Luxembourg for the game tomorrow. And some think a trip south is difficult
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2017, 11:34   #227
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I'm always wary, but i tend to give the benefit of doubt to someone who's chucking money at the club, until they give reason not too.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49   #228
Super Moderator

It seems to me that Andy Holt is simply a successful businessman who has got the Stanley bug, after experiencing the unique spirit and atmosphere at the club. If that means I'm being "naive" or indulging in "hero worship" so be it.

Yes, he's said he wants the club to be self-sufficient, but I can't understand this "return" he's alleged to be expecting. How can you make a "return" on a full time football league club with gates of 1,600 and a covenant on the ground which says it can't be used for anything else but football?

But, most important of all, if Andy Holt hadn't turned up, where would be headed to now, as I sure as hell didn't see any others lining up to invest the sort of money he has?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:19   #229
God Member

Andy has gone on record numerous times as 'not expecting a return'.

His stated intent is that of a self sufficient club that can provide a legacy to the community.

As far as self sufficiency is concerned he has developed a quarter of the ground that is now generating money on matchdays.

He has developed a large, quality car park that is now generating matchday income.

He has improved hospitality numbers (not sure on quality) that is now generating matchday income.

He has developed the Commercial department that is now generating year round income with both major and minor partners involved.

Commercial parties are keen to get involved again and many aspects of the club are beginning to bloom.

He has given JC the largest budget thus far (900k iirc).

He has brought much needed stability and respect back to a club that has teetered from one chaos to another for a decade.

The ground and its perimeter are both cleaner and tidier than they have ever been and the groundwork for further development has been done, or is underway.

He has been instrumental in the re-emergence if the Supporters Club.

The pitch has been expensively refurbished to its current best ever state.

... not bad for a little under 2 years since he first clapped eyes on the ground.

Has he made mistakes? Undoubtedly, but I would massively give him the benefit of the doubt. Every corner of the club was a shambles and needed overhauling. He didnt have the cast of Ben Hur in the office to offer their wisdom, experience or professionalism - everything has been pretty much from a standing start. I'd be more than happy to offer him my wisdom, experience and professionalism, as would others, but who is to say I know how to run a football club?

As a parent I expect my kids to adhere to what I teach them is right or wrong. They rarely agree with me because, as kids, they aren't privy to the bigger picture. As football fans we are as those kids. We dont know what finances are available, what people are available to implement ideas, what legislation they must adhere to, what works must be done before other works can be done etc etc etc.

I'm by no means hero worshipping but for gods sake leave off the UNNECESSARY criticism, it's unwarranted and unwanted.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 03-07-2017 at 12:22.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:21   #230
God Member

... and thats not including the work that has gone on so far in trying to secure ownership of the ground AND establish a proper training ground in the town
Old 03-07-2017, 13:13   #231
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Andy has gone on record numerous times as 'not expecting a return'.

His stated intent is that of a self sufficient club that can provide a legacy to the community.

As far as self sufficiency is concerned he has developed a quarter of the ground that is now generating money on matchdays.

He has developed a large, quality car park that is now generating matchday income.

He has improved hospitality numbers (not sure on quality) that is now generating matchday income.

He has developed the Commercial department that is now generating year round income with both major and minor partners involved.

Commercial parties are keen to get involved again and many aspects of the club are beginning to bloom.

He has given JC the largest budget thus far (900k iirc).

He has brought much needed stability and respect back to a club that has teetered from one chaos to another for a decade.

The ground and its perimeter are both cleaner and tidier than they have ever been and the groundwork for further development has been done, or is underway.

He has been instrumental in the re-emergence if the Supporters Club.

The pitch has been expensively refurbished to its current best ever state.

... not bad for a little under 2 years since he first clapped eyes on the ground.

Has he made mistakes? Undoubtedly, but I would massively give him the benefit of the doubt. Every corner of the club was a shambles and needed overhauling. He didnt have the cast of Ben Hur in the office to offer their wisdom, experience or professionalism - everything has been pretty much from a standing start. I'd be more than happy to offer him my wisdom, experience and professionalism, as would others, but who is to say I know how to run a football club?

As a parent I expect my kids to adhere to what I teach them is right or wrong. They rarely agree with me because, as kids, they aren't privy to the bigger picture. As football fans we are as those kids. We dont know what finances are available, what people are available to implement ideas, what legislation they must adhere to, what works must be done before other works can be done etc etc etc.

I'm by no means hero worshipping but for gods sake leave off the UNNECESSARY criticism, it's unwarranted and unwanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
... and thats not including the work that has gone on so far in trying to secure ownership of the ground AND establish a proper training ground in the town
How the hell thats suspicious or concerning to me is way beyond common sense.
Old 03-07-2017, 15:08   #232
God Member

Edwards back for a full season excellent.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 15:14   #233
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Superb result imho
Old 03-07-2017, 15:18   #234

Quote:
Time will tell IMO I don't think he's up to our level hope to be proven wrong.
st06nc2 likes this.
Lord Love Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 15:52   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
not one that knows much about the murky world of finance but it seems to me a lot of clubs seem to go out of their way to purchase their grounds or buy em back. lot of the reasons is to create more finance for the clubs. if this is the case owning our own plot of land should be our number one priority. i live in rented property but wouldn,t fork out for an extension for it.
No but you might be willing to pay a bit more in rent if your landlord built one for you.

But yes i agree if AH can get a good deal to buy the ground either personally or by using his money companys money or even by using his companys credit rating to borrow it and then using the asset to raise money for the upgrade/new stand it wouldnt be a bad thing.

Personally i think this has now left him with a big decision to make and i.m not sure he.ll take the big jump which is why i think hed be better off getting Hyndburn to make the improvements to their asset in return for increased rental payments.
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:58   #236
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
Careful now - that's criticising one of our own.
baldy likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 17:00   #237
God Member

Quote:
To be fair I don't think we saw enough of him to make a judgement - welcome back Jonathan & thank goodness this thread's now got back on track talking about signings - hope there's a few more to come
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 17:32   #238
God Member

Quote:
Best signing so far - well pleased with this

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 18:12   #239
Senior Member+

Brilliant post as ever Rob.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56   #240
God Member

Quote:
thought he was up to our level last season. the bits we saw of him for me he looked decent. needs more game time than he got last season though. showed a lot more for me than a current chorley striker did in the last month or so of the season.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..