Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2017, 21:59   #46
Senior Member+

Re: WBA Carabao Cup Match Thread

Some great publicity for the club:
West Brom: Why one young Albion super-fan will never forget the match at Accrington - Birmingham Mail
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2017, 07:05   #47
God Member

Look what you could've won - West Brom have drawn Man City at home in the third round, surely that would've sold out . . . . . . .?
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by AccyMad; 24-08-2017 at 07:10.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 07:17   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Look what you could've won - West Brom have drawn Man City at home in the third round, surely that would've sold out . . . . . . .?
Perhaps we should sell some tickets anyway ......
Old 24-08-2017, 13:24   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Except that draw numbers were allocated alphabetically so we would have been 1 and would have been at home to Brentford who would have been 7. But there's nowt wrong with dreaming.
AccyMad likes this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 13:35   #50
God Member

Well, that's just splitting hairs - I'll stick to my theory cos it's more exciting than the truth
MikeA, KiTChener and Chrisr like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 16:44   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Lovely story. Well done to the steward.
KiTChener and Revived Red like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 09:53   #52
Full Member+

Quote:
Are you sure about that??? The turn out for the West Brom match was poor from the home fans. The baggies brought as many from their place as we did. What do we have to do to bring people through the gate. The ground should have been packed out solid. Even Rovers as a league 1 club are attracting crowds of 20,000 we have a base of about 1400. something desperately wrong somewhere.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 10:09   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Are you sure about that??? The turn out for the West Brom match was poor from the home fans. The baggies brought as many from their place as we did. What do we have to do to bring people through the gate. The ground should have been packed out solid. Even Rovers as a league 1 club are attracting crowds of 20,000 we have a base of about 1400. something desperately wrong somewhere.
Err, do you believe a statistic or your eyes?
And anyway, there was only 16,000 at Ewood last night for what is, apparently, the biggest 'derby' in East Lancs.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 10:33   #54
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Err, do you believe a statistic or your eyes?
And anyway, there was only 16,000 at Ewood last night for what is, apparently, the biggest 'derby' in East Lancs.
I was at the match and I believe my eyes, However there was lot more space in the ground. We should be selling out games like this. There may have been only 16000 at Ewood but there was not even 5000 at Stanley, That is the real point. we need bigger ground support at home. I know it has been an ongoing debate for a long time. So what do we need to do? I noticed Andy has announced that prices to the checkatrade cups are £5 or under 12s £1. Will this help? I personally don't think it will for these competitions. The WBA match should have been a little cheaper and handled better. However that is gone. Maybe a public consultation as to the reason people re choosing clubs outside the area rather than support their own local club. If you don't ask then you won't know. You might not like the answer but you will have something to work with.

Last edited by Chrisr; 25-08-2017 at 10:35.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 11:27   #55

" Maybe a public consultation "

And how many will come to that I wonder ????

The people of East Lancashire are not really interested in watching Accrington Stanley, it has been this way for years, and will be for years to come, why cant people just accept this ??? .
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 25-08-2017, 11:48   #56
God Member

1. Look after the fans we have.
2. Ex fans are easier to entice than new fans. So entice old fans back.
3a. Give over bleating about the public not coming. Never EVER mention it again
3b. Start looking for ways to improve our image locally, helping charities, building playgrounds etc

Somewhere along the lines we hope for success on the pitch to bring in a new batch - then we're back to number 1.

We lost 40 years worth of kids, got back to the league then promptly spent 10 years undoing all our hardwork and losing more kids.

A point made on twitter the other day (by Alvin the chipmonk i think) was that in 2009 we had a FANtastic terrace, bouncing, noisy, colourful and vibrant. The end was packed with kids - who would all be around the 18 year old mark now.

We chased them away. Those who didnt run were priced out.

Oh well, we can start building now for 2025
MikeA, AccyMad, Chimer and 1 others like this.
Old 26-08-2017, 08:36   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post

The people of East Lancashire are not really interested in watching Accrington Stanley, it has been this way for years, and will be for years to come, why cant people just accept this ??? .
not interested or have found other clubs to support. 40 odd years without a league club is two generations of lost fans. in that time if you wanted to watch league football you had to go somewhere else. then the dads took their kids to another club and they got hooked on it. then the greedy league started with all the hype surrounding it with blackburn winning it at burnley now have turned the corner. just cannot see where new fans will come from apart from people moving into the area.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 09:54   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post

Monkey Hanger gives a pretty accurate assessment i reckon, though it should NEVER be accepted, it needs much work and focus on attracting and keeping "New Kids" thats the only way to hopefully increase a crowd yeh got a chance of keeping imho,we all know a consistently winning team increases gates, but that can NEVER last.
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
Old 27-08-2017, 07:23   #59
God Member

the main thing that we need to do to increase home support is something stanley have never done as a league club, GET PROMOTION.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 07:28   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
the main thing that we need to do to increase home support is something stanley have never done as a league club, GET PROMOTION.
The problem with that is if yeh struggle in the new division,its likely to reduce? as i have seen numerous times. it will be fine the season we achieve Promotion no doubt but after?
Chimer, Revived Red and yonmon like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..