Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2017, 20:41   #16
God Member

Re: Wigan Athletic Checkatrade Trophy Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
AccyMad,
Not 'tongue-in-cheek' at all.
From Chevyfire tonight; - 'Sousa has had a stormer first half'
From my post after the Boro game;
'How McLeod & Sousa don't make the first eleven every week is a mystery based on tonight's performance.
McLeod in particular was so effective down the left wing, creating numerous goal scoring chances for both himself & the other forwards & Sousa's speed & pin-point crosses caused Boro real problems.
'
My original thoughts that Mcleod & Sousa would have been more effective against Guiseley still apply.
Sousa scores 2 tonight!
Edwards scores!
Mcleod scores!
I rest my case.
It's all about opinions - that's the beauty of football
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2017, 20:42   #17
Senior Member+

Full time 0 - 4.
Good run out for the 'Fringe' players.

I bet Billy was awesome at left back!!!!
AccyMad likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 20:56   #18

Bearing in mind we where playing a very weakened Wigan team. It was a good performance, Stanley's fringe players did all they could. Apart from man of match Sousa, Scottie brown pulled the strings In midfield, Nolan was good enforcer alongside him, this helped are twocentre backs be in command of Wigan's attack. All the forward players had there moments. Tonight will do Jonny Edwards confidence no harm. On the Sousa debate, he could certainly change a game with his ability, negative is can he do it against league 2 defenders and he is not good at defending. I would certainly bring him on if we needed to change/affect a game. Blackburn in next round please if they got through!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 21:00   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Blackburn are OUT on Pens.
Old 07-11-2017, 21:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfire View Post
Bearing in mind we where playing a very weakened Wigan team. It was a good performance, Stanley's fringe players did all they could. Apart from man of match Sousa, Scottie brown pulled the strings In midfield, Nolan was good enforcer alongside him, this helped are twocentre backs be in command of Wigan's attack. All the forward players had there moments. Tonight will do Jonny Edwards confidence no harm. On the Sousa debate, he could certainly change a game with his ability, negative is can he do it against league 2 defenders and he is not good at defending. I would certainly bring him on if we needed to change/affect a game. Blackburn in next round please if they got through!
Great report Chevyfire!
Glad to see Nolan back, I for one think he makes a big difference to our midfield.
Wigan may have played their 'reserves' tonight, but they're still a much bigger club than Stanley.
In any case, according to some on here - SO DID WE!
A brilliant result!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 21:16   #21
Full Member+

Efl site says Blackburn through in second (teams get a point for losing on pens)
Old 07-11-2017, 21:41   #22
Full Member+

But.. Stoke and bury not playing til tomorrow
Old 07-11-2017, 22:01   #23

As a group runner up, we will play a northern group winner away in the next round.
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 22:16   #24
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrI...G5BjAlOSMKrME- https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-compet...trophy/tables/
Old 07-11-2017, 22:23   #25
Senior Member+

Wigan presumably couldn't weaken their side much more than we did? They're not the 'A' team in the group, so they're subject to the same strange rules, whatever they are, as us.

Don't care anyway, it's a half-baked competition but better this year than last, and if it takes us to Wembley, I'll be there ....
Old 07-11-2017, 22:27   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Blackburn are OUT on Pens.
If either team win in 90 they are out, they need a draw and a pen win for stoke by the looks of it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 22:51   #27

We played some excellent football at times tonight - very impressed with midfield, particularly sousa and nolan. MOM for me was Brown - at the heart of nearly everything, passing game was excellent and fitness seems to have dramatically improved. We kept playing a high tempo passing game even at 3-0 up. Coley should take a chance and play the same 11 (obviously swap kee for ogle from the off) in our cup replay next week.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17   #28
God Member

What a great performance, even the interview was audible.
Well done to all involved.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:19   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Wigan presumably couldn't weaken their side much more than we did? They're not the 'A' team in the group, so they're subject to the same strange rules, whatever they are, as us.

Don't care anyway, it's a half-baked competition but better this year than last, and if it takes us to Wembley, I'll be there ....
Maybe they're prepared for (& financially not bothered about) the fines they'll receive for playing what was, according to their own fans on twitter their under 18's team??
Maybe shows again just how cocky Paul Cook was about the game as they only needed a draw to progress - well, that backfired - what a shame
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
What a great performance, even the interview was audible.
Well done to all involved.
Seemed to me J.C. cut interview short for a reason? was good to actually be able to hear it though.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..