Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2017, 21:04   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Nweport Game?

Hope our players aren’t as negative as our posters, Newport played their hoof it game of football very similar to Guisley not pretty but affective at this level, early on the main danger emanated from the long throw’s from Demetriou and they clearly dominated the first half, a well taken goal from Nouble early in the second half looked like enough to steal the points until a late goal mouth scramble produce a goal from Malic, next up is another hard game with Mackail-Smith & Akinfenwa
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by accybeme; 18-11-2017 at 21:07.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-11-2017, 23:36   #17
Full Member+

Coley if you are thinking of playing McClown at any time on Tues please get him some studs for his boots
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 07:29   #18
God Member

[QUOTE=accybeme;1204724]Hope our players aren’t as negative as our posters, Newport played their hoof it game of football very similar to Guisley not pretty but affective at this level,

could well be the same again on tuesday night. not being negative but we do struggle against big sides who play that way and end up with an arm wrestle with them.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 07:36   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Saying what yeh see is negative?
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 19-11-2017, 08:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
Hope our players aren’t as negative as our posters, Newport played their hoof it game of football very similar to Guisley not pretty but affective at this level
Accybeme, were we watching the same game?????
If anyone was guilty of 'hoof it' football it was us - bar the last 10 minutes.
By half time, Newport had exceeded 60% of possession. Far from hoofing it, they won every loose ball (we hoofed) & their passing was faster & more accurate.
They had only 2 corners & scored from 1 - 50% success rate! We had 10 corners & scored from none.
We had 14 shots, only 5 of which were on target. They had only 6 shots, with 4 on target.
Our defence were taken by surprise by the simplest 'set-piece' corner I've witnessed.
Our corners & free kicks were ineffective, because their defence knew exactly what we were going to do. We never varied it once!
You don't need Sherlock Holmes as your manager to deduce - 'The game Is up!'
cashman and Revived Red like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:37   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
By half time, Newport had exceeded 60% of possession. Far from hoofing it, they won every loose ball (we hoofed) & their passing was faster & more accurate.
They had only 2 corners & scored from 1 - 50% success rate! We had 10 corners & scored from none.
We had 14 shots, only 5 of which were on target. They had only 6 shots, with 4 on target.
Our defence were taken by surprise by the simplest 'set-piece' corner I've witnessed.
Our corners & free kicks were ineffective, because their defence knew exactly what we were going to do. We never varied it once!
disagree they never once played the ball out every time it was booted down field from there the ball spent more time in mid air than on the ground
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:06   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
disagree they never once played the ball out every time it was booted down field from there the ball spent more time in mid air than on the ground
We were doing "Exactly" the same,was painful to watch cos were much better than that.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:29   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
So we had a 50% better corner ratio than Newport
Old 19-11-2017, 11:59   #24
Senior Member+

It appeared to me...but then what do I know about Soccer ?, that Newport's midfield were
bigger, faster, and more skilful than Scotty and Callum, which not only nullified any attacks which the REDS set up, but were always a real threat going forward !. This made life for their back four considerably more comfortable whilst ours were continually under pressure ..
It also seemed that there was at regular intervals vast areas of space in the left attacking quadrant ( beginning to sound like F19 now !)... which had been vacated by the wanderings of the Captain for the day. Opponents appear to have worked out by now that the majority of our attacking play is generated down our right wing and thus concentrate their defence accordingly... is the weight of the Captain's armband weighing so heavily on the Golden One's right limb so as to affect the quality of his play ?.. (choosing my words of slight criticism of his abysmal performance yesterday extremely carefully as AccyMad will be reading this at some point !).

Like others, my overall feeling is one coloured by the image of several recent performances
which have suggested that our play is , for most of the time predictable and thus probably so easy for opposing Managers and Players to plan a successful method of playing against us.
But, Akinfenwa permitting, a return to our erstwhile , point-winning style will I feel make a welcome return to the Wham on Tuesday evening... ever the optimist I hear you say ?..

KTF.. AND.. ON STANLEY !, ON TO GREATER THINGS !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 13:19   #25

Yonmon - whilst i completely agree that our problems stem from our lightweight midfield, i can't actually believe you thought McConville was abysmal, whilst i thought he was MOTM contender. isn't football brilliant!!

Lord Stiff - firstly you are factually incorrect on our corners. do you not remember the daisy cutter Sean fired in from a first half corner? (It was rubbish, so i forgive you for instantly forgetting it). Secondly, his corners were floated in slightly differently and also they were not without some threat. A few half chances came of them.... even if the end result was a rubbish header here or an easily scrambled clearance there. I'd keep sticking decent crosses in, away from the keeper because whilst we don't have Harvey and Omar on the end of them mathematically it could still yield the higher % of goals and it keeps a certain pressure on the opposition.

I'm not entirely convinced we hoofed it that much. We certainly tried to pass it around at the back, tried to get it to our wide men, but I just don't think we have the players in midfield to link it all together. I'd love it if Johnson matured quickly, concede that Scott Brown's energy brings something to the team, but overall this is where we have a weakness. I think when Seamus returns that will make a big difference, but we really could do with someone good alongside him. Nolan seems to have a good 45 mins in him, but never 90. Maybe we just have to accept Nolan playing 45-60 mins and then bringing one of the others on later. Johnson was much more effective as their midfield started to fall apart.

Or, is there anyway to accommodate Wilks, Jackson and Super Bill in the team by juggling things into one of these new fangled formations?

Sorry, wittered on for too long.... hope I've not sounded too negative, since the team individually (including England's No 1) are putting the work in and we are in a bloody great position.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 13:54   #26

Couple of points..........Newport played better than us for most of the game when they were without the ball. They do what lots of teams do against us, they press the ball and our players as Chappy rolls the ball out from the back. We don't press the same and we didn't on Saturday. We give up territory too easily allowing them to advance 30 or 40 yards without any pressure or challenge. Our defence is solid, much better than its ever been and we kept Podge and the other big Newport forward mostly quiet. We are missing Conneleys distribution in midfield and my favourite central partnership is Conneley and Nolan. Nolan is improving with game time, it's a major step up for him from non-leagues. Kaden not back to his early season best, but our now bobbly pitch is not helping give him decent passes for his runs into the box. We are going through a poor patch performance wise, but still picking up points ☺
AccyMad and chevyfire like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 14:30   #27

Highlights here:

Accrington 1 - 1 Newport - Match Report & Highlights

May I draw attention to the fantastic tackle by Mekhi around the 50 second mark.

Created a goal through sheer determination there.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 20:09   #28

Agree I thaught donacian an mcconville were the pick of our players on Saturday , big game Tuesday night and in my eyes if we keep akinfenwa under wraps we should win the game.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 18:47   #29
Full Member+

Don't think anybody keeps Feckinmenu under wraps for 90mins or whatever he plays.
Hope I'm wrong.
Old 20-11-2017, 20:03   #30
God Member

Smile Re: Newport Game?

Few seasons ago, Deano had Bayo in his pocket, he did not get a look in.

I feel sure that Big Ben could do the same tomorrow

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..