Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2018, 13:29   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Swindon Town Match Thread

Many of those last night were pretty obvious to us, but ignored.
Old 07-02-2018, 16:46   #122
Senior Member+

A refs job today is far more difficult than it was years ago. Yesteryear ?? players were told "If someone hurts you don't let him know, get up smile and get on with it". Today lots of, not all, players are soft cheats and encouraged by their useless managers. If I was still reffing today I think I would be tearing my hair out, I see some of them have done? at some of the antics these players get up to. I hate refs but I certainly sympathize with the job they have, also some of the directions given to them by the sweet F.A.

By the way L.D. crime is far worse today than when I was growing up.
cashman likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 21:14   #123
Senior Member+

Lord D....
So sorry that we cannot agree about the standard of the refereeing last night.
In my comments I referred to Swindon as being a team that played like CHEATS.
This is a reference to the very clever and devious number of incidents throughout the match that were the 'Not So Obvious Type of Fouls' that someone else referred to and that largely went unpunished by the referee. The number of times that supporters around me claimed for free kicks when a Swindon player pushed and/or leaned on one of our players would have amounted to something like 35+ free kicks that should have been awarded to Stanley. This style of play was pratised by most of the Swindon players and looked to me as if it was a clear plan to literally 'knock our team off balance' in our desire to play constructive and entertaining football. This is exactly the type of foul play that is difficult for referees to pick up but it was clearly and visibly pointed out to him by our Captain Sean Mac on a number of occasions. I still say that had the referee booked one or possibly two Swindon players half way through the first half then he would have kept better control in the second half, which he totally lost! Of course this can be charged as being seen through 'Red Tinted' spectacles but when any team like Stanley wants to play constructive football, which is John Coleman's Mantra, then they should be encouraged/ allowed to by the referee.

Consider these statistics from the BBC Sport website coverage, here are a few things to note;
1) Swindon had 8 free kicks awarded against them for fouls in the first half.... (Everyone around me seemed to think it should have been much more than double that number!) Stanley had just five free kicks awarded against them for fouls in the first half.
2) In the second half Swindon had 10 free kicks awarded against them for fouls plus the one for 'Violent Contact' which also brought the Red Card out! (It should have been many more IMHO.) Stanley had only three free kicks awarded against them for fouls plus the one for Billy's hand ball when he fell on the ball!
3) Jordan Clarke committed only one foul in the whole match, of an accidental nature, and was given a Yellow Card right at the start of the second half! Marc Richards for Swindon committed five fouls in the match but got no Yellow Card!
4) In the whole match the Free kicks awarded against each team were;
Swindon 18....earning 4 Yellow and one Red Card.......
Stanley 9.......earning two Yellow Cards.
5) Apart from the Violent conduct sending Off I don't really think that there were any really Dirty Fouls of note. ie Swindon are not a 'Dirty' team but IMHO they are a very clever and sly team good at disrupting their opponents play!...ie CHEATS !

I do agree that life is very difficult for our referees of today which can be argued about all the day long but players cheating!!!!!!.......With these sly pushes, (as well as blatant pushes!) The pulling of shirts and the encirclement of a player by an opponents arms thereby restricting any movement towards the ball......players diving (simulation)..... the stupid new off side rules.....the permitting of a defending player to 'Shepherd' the ball out of play for a goal kick by blocking an opponents run towards the ball. This used to be called 'Obstruction' in my day.etc etc.
Some referees seem to think that if they get through a match without booking a single player that they, (the referee), will have had a good match! In truth he could have missed most of the foul play and just let players get away with too much undesirable elements of the sport.
IMHO a good referee will perhaps have booked one player, he will have endeavoured to allow free flowing football to be played, that is entertaining, and he will have kept control of the players behaviour. Finally the fans will very likely have hardly noticed that he was even on the pitch.

Last edited by choirboy; 07-02-2018 at 21:22.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 22:07   #124

Ossykid - for you old boys crime was lower but crime is no worse now than 40 years ago when I grew up.
To hear some people you’d think it’s a jungle out there.

Choirboy - not exactly sure what your point is. Swindon were more physical than us. The ref yielded his cards appropriately. I don’t recognise your allegations of cheating at all.

Funny how many people think they are better at spotting fouls from 50 yards away than a trained, experienced ref right on top of things.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 22:54   #125
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington 2-1 Swindon | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
Old 08-02-2018, 07:00   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Ossykid - for you old boys crime was lower but crime is no worse now than 40 years ago when I grew up.
To hear some people you’d think it’s a jungle out there.

Choirboy - not exactly sure what your point is. Swindon were more physical than us. The ref yielded his cards appropriately. I don’t recognise your allegations of cheating at all.

Funny how many people think they are better at spotting fouls from 50 yards away than a trained, experienced ref right on top of things.
Well obviously yeh cannot recognise cheating, but nor can many refs officials, which is exactly "WHY" they are introducing the "VAR" system,
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:35   #127
God Member

Funny how many people think they are better at spotting fouls from 50 yards away than a trained, experienced ref right on top of things.[/QUOTE]

sometimes the hardest thing to spot are offences that are a few yards from you especially handball. jack taylor was never a greyhound about the pitch but he did not miss much and managed to sort players out. its not all about physical fitness but more a mental thing and being able to deal with players and have a feeling for the game.
AccyMad likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45   #128
God Member

[QUOTE=ossy kid;1208326]A refs job today is far more difficult than it was years ago. Yesteryear ?? players were told "If someone hurts you don't let him know, get up smile and get on with it". Today lots of, not all, players are soft cheats and encouraged by their useless managers. If I was still reffing today I think I would be tearing my hair out, I see some of them have done? at some of the antics these players get up to. I hate refs but I certainly sympathize with the job they have, also some of the directions given to them by the sweet F.A.

problem is ozzy the antics do not stop at pro level they go down to youth football. there are 17 laws of the game but are not written in stone. there is the words in the opinion of the referee. everyone has a different opinion and another day there would have been no penalty,s given on tuesday night. out of the laws when did anyone last see a goalkeeper penalised for holding the ball for more than 6 seconds and a defender shielding the ball out of play yards from the ball and not in playing distance of the ball. if the laws are there use em but imagine the shouts from the bench if they are given.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:10   #129
God Member

Thanks for posting this Mab, but has anyone else noticed that it's becoming more and more frustrating trying to get Sky's League 2 videos to load?
I usually give up waiting for that b****y circle of doom to stop turning.
I thought it was because we live where internet is supplied down a long piece of string. But the same thing happened in the office, in a very well served location. And it happens on a tablet using 3G.
As someone used to say, is it just me...?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:39   #130
Senior Member+

Lord D........
My point is not that Swindon were more 'Physical' than Stanley it is that they persistently pushed, barged and leaned on our players throughout the match.
Other posters have made points to support this view and also how this is difficult for the referee to always pick up.
If you watch just the brief highlights shown on the video coverage posted above, observe the following considering two aerial duels;
1) In the first few seconds of the video, inside the Stanley penalty box, Hughes is barged into/pushed by a Swindon attacker, who is also leading with an elbow, and Hughes is knocked to the ground! .......a foul in my book!
2) For Kayden Jackson's goal there is an aerial 'physical' duel including a possible foul by the Swindon player but the referee saw fit to play on as he saw Stanley's numerical advantage going forward which resulted in Kayden's well taken goal. In this instance the referee did really well by applying the advantage rule.

Both penalties awarded could be adjudged to have been somewhat soft and in my view both were accidental clips of an opponents heel when advancing into scoring positions. But YES, they are both definite penalties. Neither 'offender' was booked as the referee understood that the nature of the fouls were 'accidental' but that they were also stopping a scoring opportunity. Compare these two penalty awards with the single tackle that Clarke made on the halfway line that was obviously an accidental catch of his opponents heel too and yet he gets a Yellow card and for a 'foul' in a much less critical area of the pitch!.......A correct award of a free kick but a ridiculous Yellow card, in my view!
So I repeat my main point about my 'diatribe' is that I am not really having a go at the referee but that I am being critical of Swindon's tactics of persistently pushing.........ie CHEATING!

ON STANLEY ON

ps Just another point.
I thought that the choice of Swindon's away kit of pale green and shiny shirts made them difficult to see on a frosty night with a scattering of snow on the pitch......great tactics perhaps by Swindon?........ssshhhh........possible cheating????........
Naw not really!
AccyMad likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 08-02-2018 at 11:45.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57   #131
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1208370]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
A refs job today is far more difficult than it was years ago. Yesteryear ?? players were told "If someone hurts you don't let him know, get up smile and get on with it". Today lots of, not all, players are soft cheats and encouraged by their useless managers. If I was still reffing today I think I would be tearing my hair out, I see some of them have done? at some of the antics these players get up to. I hate refs but I certainly sympathize with the job they have, also some of the directions given to them by the sweet F.A.

problem is ozzy the antics do not stop at pro level they go down to youth football. there are 17 laws of the game but are not written in stone. there is the words in the opinion of the referee. everyone has a different opinion and another day there would have been no penalty,s given on tuesday night. out of the laws when did anyone last see a goalkeeper penalised for holding the ball for more than 6 seconds and a defender shielding the ball out of play yards from the ball and not in playing distance of the ball. if the laws are there use em but imagine the shouts from the bench if they are given.
Good points made here too monkey Hanger.
Sometimes my daughter and I start counting the seconds when a keeper is holding the ball and we regularly count over 20 seconds!
For me, 'Controlling' a football is a bit like 'Writing with a pen'.
In order to write something you have to 'have the pen in your hand' and then move it across the paper. ie Control its movement!
To control a football, I think that it is similar, in that you should have to make touches on the ball in order to move it ( ie control it!)
The rule of allowing the referee to use his discretion in these 'Shepherding' situations is stupid...It is clearly obstructing an opponents desire to find a route towards the ball in order to play it!
Make the rules to help the referee is my view, not to make the rules more difficult to apply.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:23   #132

New contributor, Choirboy has stolen my thunder, the highlights reminded me of what i thought on the night re the second goal in that our midfield in winning a header got clatttered but the ball then fell to us and Kayden was played in. The highlights show the ref running 20 yards with his arms outstretched indicating advantage.
There was also a late tackle by Nolon in the first 10 mins when we were under the cosh and the ref had a long chat without producing a card. That agression or brake in play helped us settle.
All in all, whilst i agree their pen was soft, you could see how it was won and regrettably, how it was given.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 16:52   #133

The green and white Swindon kit was terrible to spot against the green and white pitch. Of that I agree.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 21:12   #134
Senior Member+

Swindon are appealing against Gordon's red card:
Keshi Anderson restored to Swindon Town squad for visit of Mansfield | Swindon Advertiser
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:24   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Daft but they can afford to do so.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..