Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2018, 17:21   #46
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Re: Coventry away ... all tickets a fiver

920 Stanley fans at the game today
Lord Love Rocket likes this.
Old 10-02-2018, 17:34   #47
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

, x revised figure of 513 Stanley fans, wrong info given
Old 10-02-2018, 20:09   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

For my money twas the best 90 mins of the season, Coventry (with all their resources) never looked like getting into the game, we completely outdid em,johnson laid both goals on fer clarky. another everyman did his bit.
Old 10-02-2018, 21:44   #49
God Member

Best away performance from Stanley since....West Ham?
Really assured from all XI, played a team game, closing down in numbers, making themselves available for a pass.
Coventry were very poor. Maybe Professor Coleman's being diplomatic mentioning their injury list, etc, or maybe they had their minds on the FA Cup. But definitely Stanley made them look second rate; even when they had the ball they rarely threatened.
Very impressed with Messrs Johnson and Dunne, as relative new boys, and good to see Captain Conneely back.
And great support from the Syanley fans.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 22:04   #50
God Member

Coventry were never in the game because we didnt let them. Great points allround today
Old 11-02-2018, 00:21   #51

No one entering the Ricoh Arena for the first time could fail to be impressed by such grandeur
How can it be that this one-time member of footballs elite, winners of the FA Cup, are reduced to plying their trade in Englands 4th tier of football?
How are the mighty fallen.
I predicted that Coventry's bumper home crowd of over 27,000, would will their team to victory. How wrong could I be?
Enter little Accrington Stanley to spoil the sky-blues big party.
Coventry were outplayed by perhaps the most complete performance I've witnessed by Stanley this season.
They came close to scoring on a couple of occassions but then, we too could easily have doubled our goal tally on another day.
Every man wearing red - and 1 in black, gave 100% today. But my 'm.o.m.' would go to young Johnson who imho, was simply outstanding.
He took on the role of missing captain McConville with skill & aplomb, creating many of our best moves.
Stanley's 515 travelling faithful - almost 50% of our normal fan base, made a monkey of the home advantage by outsinging our hosts from start to end.
Today will live long in the memory of every Stanley fan who had the privelige to be there.
In all honesty, I didn't have much hope of winning today.
If fate decrees we achieve promotion this season, surely this will be remembered as the 3 points that secured it.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:00   #52
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;1208552]No one entering the Ricoh Arena for the first time could fail to be impressed by such grandeur
How can it be that this one-time member of footballs elite, winners of the FA Cup, are reduced to plying their trade in Englands 4th tier of football?

easy answer. bad owners and
bad decisions. its not where or what a ground you play on its the skill and character of the players on it. roll on tuesday night at the little wham.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17   #53
Senior Member+

The match has been well summed by earlier posters above.
Maybe it was a mistake for Coventry to draw in such a big crowd, with the really cheap admission fee, as it might just have added to the pressure on their team to win. They were missing a couple of players through injury too. Having said that our boys were magnificent right down the team list. Chappers got better and better and did a couple of really confident high catches above a crowded penalty towards the end of the 90 minutes. Very pleasing to see and with his clean sheet I hope that he can repeat it consistently for the rest of the season.

Johnson set up the first goal with a driving run round the outside of their right back and he reproduced that determination a number of times throughout the match with similar runs. His corners too were hit hard and caused problems in their goal mouth. I could list all the players again and wax lyrically about how well they all played but essentially this was just a WONDERFUL TEAM PERFORMANCE.
I have to say that part of that team performance was THE INCREDIBLE SUPPORT FROM THE STANLEY FAITHFUL in our long thin triangle of seats in a corner of the ground. The continuous noise and the creativity of our singing still amazes me......!!!
Well done to the 513 loyal RED SUPPORTERS who out sang their 28,000 !!!
The players really do appreciate our support and once again they showed this at the final whistle.

What a GRAND DAY OUT!
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS
ON STANLEY ON

KEEP THE FAITH

Last edited by choirboy; 11-02-2018 at 10:19.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:52   #54
God Member

It tickled me that Coventry put the words up on the big screen, karaoke style, to try & get their fans to sing their support
Fantastic performance from all our lads & a well deserved result made for a brilliant day, if I was being picky I'd say they were a little over zealous with searching our fans on the way in, but whatever floats their boat - certainly didn't detract from our enjoyment of the day
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:24   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
It tickled me that Coventry put the words up on the big screen, karaoke style, to try & get their fans to sing their support
Fantastic performance from all our lads & a well deserved result made for a brilliant day, if I was being picky I'd say they were a little over zealous with searching our fans on the way in, but whatever floats their boat - certainly didn't detract from our enjoyment of the day
By 'eck!
I didn't get searched and I had my 'Little plastic horn' hidden in my fleece pocket under my red gortex jacket!

Must be my innocent choirboy looks!!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:27   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I never got searched either with my little bag, suppose Di @ her mum look very suspicious?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:34   #57
God Member

Must've just been the female steward then, she searched my bag (standard), then my coat pockets & even inside me hat! All in the name of safety I know but I think what topped it was asking someone to open their flask & sniffing it????
Old 11-02-2018, 11:53   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

To be perfectly honest i was surprised me bag wasn't searched, given such a big attendance at yesterdays game?? thats very poor in my eyes.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55   #59
God Member

Yes Cashy, & you look far more dodgy than me or my mum . . . . . . .
cashman, sherry, choirboy and 2 others like this.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:33   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Yes Cashy, & you look far more dodgy than me or my mum . . . . . . .
It's the curtain ring in 'is ear wot does it Di.

ps Cashy.....
Just what did you have in your bag then?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..