Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2018, 19:25   #16

Re: Stevenage Match Thread

Also, can anyone tell me why McCleod was preferred to Sousa? He seemed a different class. He could even stay on his feet without falling over his own laces.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2018, 19:48   #17

Sousa to start on Tuesday - great ability to turn when receives the ball and beat the opposition. I made it that in his brief cameo that he beat defenders on 7 occasions - one of them twice in the space of a few seconds
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 20:11   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Sousa to start on Tuesday - great ability to turn when receives the ball and beat the opposition. I made it that in his brief cameo that he beat defenders on 7 occasions - one of them twice in the space of a few seconds
Wasted effort, beating someone twice, surely?
Old 03-02-2018, 20:17   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
YET ANOTHER AMAZING COMEBACK BY THE STANLEY BOYS.
BUT IT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE HEALTH OF THE STANLEY FANS

It was indeed a wonderful comeback to get the three points and the team showed a lot of character in doing so. Overall though it wasn't a great playing performance with the exception of Kayden Jackson who was just ELECTRIC today! His dynamic running, pace, skill and determination were a joy to see and his performance only lacked his name on the score sheet. Defo MOM for me today.
Billy worked hard as usual against their big and strong No 4 and deserved to have his name on the score sheet.
Sean scored the important goal on the stroke of half time which was the real turning point of the match! Once again it was Kayden who won the free kick in a perfect position for Sean to stroke it in with his right foot. It was right in front of us in the Clayton End and Sean found a 12 inch square superbly in the top right hand corner of the goal. No keeper could have saved that one! I am looking forward to seeing that one on the TV tonight! Had it been scored by a current Man City player it would be hailed as a wonder goal and Sean would be worth MILLIONS!
In the first half although we didn't play well we did make plenty of scoring chances, with balls across the face of the goal just needing one of our lads to be in the right position. In the meantime we managed to let Stevenage score two goals the first of which was down to very poor defending on our part and the second which was simply laid on a plate for them by stupidly trying to walk the ball out of defence just one time too many!
Our second half pressure eventually paid off with the result finally going our way Sean played a Captain's role in the second half and Dunne played very strongly at the back in the second half particularly. Hughes was having another poor match until the last fifteen minutes when he finally made his passes count and did some timely interceptions. I think it also made a difference when Sousa came on as he too was threat and his ball skills were delight to see and it also helped us to keep the pressure on their defence.
I couldn't understand the 'resting' of Everton-Richards though and to me I could see a partnership between him and Dunne being worth trying out.
Anyway........Three very important and hard earned points in the end and another three on Tuesday could see us right up their at the haed of the chase for promotion.
ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH

PS it's my 66th birthday today and my family are taking me out for a meal.
The Beer and Wine will certainly taste good after the WIN TODAY!
PPS I still think that I am only NINETEEN!
Have a damn good evening pal,happy birthday too
choirboy likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 21:21   #20
God Member

Smile Re: Stevenage Match Thread

Got to say that it was great to see us having an attacking threat down the right for a change..........

Thought that Harvey and Callum worked well together and posed a real threat!!

Supermac and Janoi gave the usual left wing supply, but it was great to see us threaten down the right for a change..............

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 21:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Actually Lord Stiff, I didn’t think the first half was that bad. Loads of balls flashing across their six yard box. Jackson giving them all sorts of problems.
I did think either centre midfield or central defence was poor - particularly for their goals.
Didsbury old boy! Were we at the same game????
When they scored their 2nd goal on 38 minutes, we hadn't had a shot on target & they had dominated possession.
The reaction, certainly from our section of the Clayton End after their 1st goal went in was -'It's been coming!'
McConville's goal in the dying seconds of the first half + the addition of Sousa & a much improved performance in the 2nd half turned the game.
Don't recall anyone saying 'We've not played that bad' at half time.
Mind you! I did leave my hearing trumpet at home today.
cashman likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 21:47   #22
God Member

Well, for my two pennysworth, I'd like to thank the lads - I missed the game against Port Vale & for them to recreate the tension of that game for me was truly appreciated Couldn't have been scripted better against our nemusis!
That said, please don't do that again boys - my ticker won't take it
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 22:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Wasted effort, beating someone twice, surely?
Was at the end when we kept winning corners.... Would have been happy for him to beat the same player fifty times if it used up a bit more time
monkey hanger likes this.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 23:49   #24

Lord Stiff - have a look at Football Genius John Coleman’s post match interview. Seems he agrees with my assessment.

Therefore, I am also a football genius and you need to bring your ear trumpet next time.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:00   #25

Watched the highlights.
Hughes to blame for the first? Their player completely unmarked.
Second was clearly Nolan giving it away.
Then their effort that hit the post looked like Hughes getting caught again?

McConvilles goal was a beauty (actually looked better in real life I thought) and we were pretty much gifted the other two.

(Noor Husain got a cracker for Notts County)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:58   #26

Although Hughes does lack pace and makes errors(less ability than say dunne and Richards-everton) I think coley may see him as a calming influence and leader of the back line at the moment.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54   #27
God Member

the difference yesterday was we had to make our 3 goals they had theirs gifted. this side ways passing thing just outside the box was always going to happen. not one of the get it upfield main standers but as my old man used to say pass it forwards or backwards in your own half but never sideways. funny why we did not pass sideways second half, lets hope we have learned for the future.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:00   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
. Also thought Satanage were still under Westly, as they were pigging ANIMALS.
no worse me in the foul department and better than some we have seen this season. they are still good at the dark arts of time wasting and slowing the game up though. did not do em much good in the end thank goodness.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:08   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Lord Stiff - have a look at Football Genius John Coleman’s post match interview. Seems he agrees with my assessment.

Therefore, I am also a football genius and you need to bring your ear trumpet next time.
J.C.s interview he said we defended "Well" but had 2 lapses, well going two down aint defending well by any stretch.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23   #30
God Member

Think young Sousa deserves a bit more game time looked full of energy and played very well against some experienced defenders.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..