Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2018, 11:06   #1

Crown car park steps

I wonder if there are any plans to look at the metal steps leading from the ground to the Crown car park. After the match on Saturday it was quite a bottleneck in that area, with what looked like a couple of hundred people or more all trying to climb the steps. We even had one pillock coming down them which added to the problem. On health and safety grounds, are these steps able to bear the weight of all these people at once and because of their slippery surface, if anyone did slip and fall this could perhaps cause an avalanche of bodies. It could be a matter of ownership. Would it not be a good idea to open up a gate at the far end of the Clayton end car park to relieve some of the pressure from the steps bottleneck?
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2018, 11:16   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Crown car park steps

Those steps are too narrow, same every match but even worse when a bigger gate, the solution would be to double the width of them, there is room enough to do it, if the "Will" is there. imho.
KiTChener and keep the faith like this.
Old 16-04-2018, 12:41   #3

What was the deal with the food van on the Crown car park?

I suspect it was nothing to do with the club and the club will no doubt lose takings to it.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 12:51   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Those steps are too narrow, same every match but even worse when a bigger gate, the solution would be to double the width of them, there is room enough to do it, if the "Will" is there. imho.
Will is there He's behind the bar in the crown
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Will is there He's behind the bar in the crown
You don't happen to be the guy walking DOWN the steps after Saturdays game do you?
Old 16-04-2018, 14:29   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
You don't happen to be the guy walking DOWN the steps after Saturdays game do you?
Wasn't him eric.
Old 16-04-2018, 14:29   #7
Super Moderator

The "ownership" of the Crown steps is a "grey area"; I suspect they belong to the pub.

In the 70's the pub closed the way of entry to the ground. The access again was closed when the pub was being refurbished last year.

The burger van on the Crown car park was definately organised by the Crown.

We did look at opening the gates onto Haworth Street but again poor parking made this impossible. This hopefully we can resolve for the next home games.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 16:03   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

We did look at opening the gates onto Haworth Street but again poor parking made this impossible. This hopefully we can resolve for the next home games.
That would certainly improve things.lets hope its done.
keep the faith likes this.
Old 16-04-2018, 16:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
I wonder if there are any plans to look at the metal steps leading from the ground to the Crown car park. After the match on Saturday it was quite a bottleneck in that area, with what looked like a couple of hundred people or more all trying to climb the steps. Would it not be a good idea to open up a gate at the far end of the Clayton end car park to relieve some of the pressure from the steps bottleneck?
Fully agree KTF! Exile & I said exactly the same as we waited patiently to exit the Clayton End on Saturday.
Success has brought it's own problems - long queues for toilets & kiosks is one thing, but this is an accident waiting to happen.
Thankfully, everyone kept calm, but anyone of a nervous disposition or suffering from claustrophobia could have been panic-stricken in the crush.
With home areas reaching capacity, I think it's time the club gave this problem urgent attention before any serious incident occurs.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 16:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Fully agree KTF! Exile & I said exactly the same as we waited patiently to exit the Clayton End on Saturday.
Success has brought it's own problems - long queues for toilets & kiosks is one thing, but this is an accident waiting to happen.
Thankfully, everyone kept calm, but anyone of a nervous disposition or suffering from claustrophobia could have been panic-stricken in the crush.
With home areas reaching capacity, I think it's time the club gave this problem urgent attention before any serious incident occurs.
I agree entirely your Lordship, it's an accident waiting to happen.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 16-04-2018, 16:45   #11

In addition to an exit via the Clayton End car park, the best option would be a low-incline concrete ramp running sideways from a landing at the Crown pub level down toward the entrance to the club bar.
Would also allow for easier wheelchair access.
Surely there are grants available for improving disabled access?
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 17:35   #12
Full Member+

Don't panic all this will sort itself out once we are promoted.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 17:41   #13
Super Moderator

I 'm sure there are grants for such facilities;

However we need all the grants we have available to assist in the new Whinney Hill stand.

I would also suspect a ramp with a gentle slope for wheel chairs from the Crown car park would end up being that long it would end up in the Clayton End goalmouth and block access to the new Clayton End car park!!

ASFC want to use Haworth St more BUT we need to keep everybody on side and there are other things being planned.

As Coley says KTF
MikeA, baldy and KiTChener like this.
Old 16-04-2018, 17:55   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

So then is nothing being resolved for the next home game then?
Old 16-04-2018, 18:08   #15
Super Moderator

Be patient !!

If the "plan" gets out the "NIMBY's" will be giving the girls grief from 9am tomorrow.

Social media is Ok; but "burgergate" has caused hours of work over a "happy tweet"!

I'd rather pick up crap, clean the ground, help the girls sell tickets than have a local resident give us 30 mins grief in reception.

We've had a complaint from somebody on First Avenue, "that it was rather busy on Saturday"!! Can "we" sort it!!!
Yes Sir; buy an ticket and "join in"!!

All; please take this as all light hearted fun !!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..