Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2018, 18:59   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Who can cut it in Div 1?

For the record Wednesday got promoted in 90-91 to the old first division and won the League Cup.
The following season they finished third in the top flight.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2018, 19:04   #77
Senior Member+

I’m sure Hughes McClair Sharp Irwin Robson Pallister Bruce Ince et al would be delighted to hear you diss them.
Old 11-05-2018, 21:41   #78

Ha! Just googled John Sheridan and it seems I underestimated his later career. He was, indeed, highly regarded at Weds.

Maybe because he was always poor when Leeds played them, because Clough only ever played him once, that I was blind to the high regard he was held in.

Hard to believe he would ever have dominated games like he did in the old div 2 though. Hard to describe how much better he was than anyone else.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 22:56   #79
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
I’m sure Hughes McClair Sharp Irwin Robson Pallister Bruce Ince et al would be delighted to hear you diss them.

Seen as they finished mid-table and Palace finished 3rd they were hardly a good team that season, well below City and the decent teams.

Yorkshire United supporters think they always won the league no doubt, when in fact they had been ****e for decades then.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:17   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Billys hold up play and Link up, is as inspector morse said second to none in my view, speed has never been his asset, but common sense has, i think he will be fine in league 1,
totally agree with that. its those that rely on pace only can have problems going up divisions and as they get older too.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 19:06   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Which players will be good enough next year?

Johnson, The Don, Coneely, Seany, Dunne, Clark, Jackson should step up easily enough I’d have thought.

Richards Everton and Harvey if he regains his form should also do the business.

Not sure about Super Bill or Chappers.

Hughes, Nolan and Brown may struggle.

Who will be sold for decent money? Jackson?

Will Coleman work his usual magic with signings and loans? I would think new signings at a higher level will be harder, but he might still get some very good loanees.(I think we’ve a good chance of keeping Dunne for another few months).

Will anyone come in for Coleman with an offer he can’t refuse? That, obviously, is the doomsday scenario. I hope Andy Holt is paying him well and that he’s become too typecast at Stanley.

Reckon overall we should be able to make mid table.
Got to say that at the time this was posted, I was more than worried...

Here we are now, a third of the way through and I do not believe that even the staunchest of Stanley fans would have thought we would be in this position - honestly??

John and Jimmy, have assembled at team that know only how to win!!

To go to top of the league and come away with the points is nothing more than incredible!!!!

Euro 2004 is the utmost example of what can be achieved with team spirit

We have no right at all to be in League 1!!

We have no right at all to be in the Football League!!!

We have no right at all to be in existence!!!

We are what we are, we are Stanley!!!!

#WEARESTANLEY

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 20:21   #82

Ha ha! Thanks Valarian.... i have been so wrong about Hughes in particular, who i think has actually been immense. I know it's blasphemy but I'm still not 100% convinced Billy is our best bet upfront although he has done better than i thought.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:24   #83
God Member

Quote:
Ha ha! Thanks Valarian.... i have been so wrong about Hughes in particular, who i think has actually been immense. I know it's blasphemy but I'm still not 100% convinced Billy is our best bet upfront although he has done better than i thought.
what has surprised me are that the teams we have played are not as good as i thought they would be. plenty of name players but not much better than who we played last season.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 08:29   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
So please explain who we have got thats better than Billy? cos i am well baffled,
Old 22-10-2018, 14:42   #85
Full Member+

Quote:
Don't start Knocking Bill you will upset Sean.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 19:38   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
what has surprised me are that the teams we have played are not as good as i thought they would be. plenty of name players but not much better than who we played last season.
Your comment is an indication that there isn't too much difference between League 1 and league 2. You could probably add on eight or so teams from the National League too as they are playing under professional standards as well.
Stanley are doing well because we are a well run club,(at last), and have great players playing with a wonderful team ethic!
ON STANLEY ON
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 22:27   #87

Cashy - I reckon Hall and Zanzala will end up being our front two.
Billy is doing ok - especially from the penalty spot - so it’s not like I’m going to irrationally slag him off like the Seany haters would .... not like you are one of them of course.
Old 23-10-2018, 06:34   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Cashy - I reckon Hall and Zanzala will end up being our front two.
Billy is doing ok - especially from the penalty spot - so it’s not like I’m going to irrationally slag him off like the Seany haters would .... not like you are one of them of course.
we will have to disagree on that, whilst i am of the opinion Hall is a very good player, he aint ours as far as i'm aware? whilst he may well get a few games in certain circs,i cant see past Billy.
Old 25-10-2018, 13:13   #89
Senior Member+

Until Conor gets ninety minutes in a competitive game I don't think any of us know. Like Cashy I cant see that happening bar injuries illness or suspension.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..