Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 08:07   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Gillingham (H) match thread

Lord S.. if he will forgive the familiarity !, has just echoed my thoughts precisely, particularly where our weak inefficiency in midfield was concerned. . In comparison with the Town's powerhouse they were in the most part slow, ponderous and lacking in ideas !., and dare i say it looking a trifle past their best !.
The game was for sure a reality check for The Reds. I'm certain JC will see it as such and sooner or later will redress the situation !.

But wasn't it disappointing ?.

ON STANLEY ,...ON TO GREATER THINGS !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53   #32
God Member

Taught a lesson today by a very good side hope we learn from it our midfield was frankly shocking 2 in the middle were overran and completely out played why was the new left back Wood overlooked Ben Everton played ok but he is much better at centre half thought Hughes looked a tad slow for this level maybe his time to be dropped as come first game positives were Finley looked ok 2 shots cleared of the line another day they go in.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58   #33
God Member

did not go yesterday but no one has been promoted or relegated yet. only time will tell but i go think there is a possibility of coley being too quick to keep some of last years players. would have liked to see a few older heads in the side who have been in div.1 for a few seasons.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:30   #34
God Member

Poor result , but Stanley are joint 14th on points !
AccyMad, yonmon and choirboy like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:08   #35
God Member

Think Coley got it spot on in his post match interview, can't be downhearted about yesterday - yes, the first half we were outplayed but we improved a lot in the second.
The lads worked their socks off but it didn't quite work against a side who for the most part were quicker & more experienced than our lads. They also used their experience to pull the wool over the ref's eyes on quite a few occasions
But it's only the first game & I'm still confident that we'll do ok this season - however, comments from someone further along than us such as 'Come on Coley, put a footballer on' disgusted me - couldn't see who it was but if that's what they call supporting their team, well . . . . . .
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Think Coley got it spot on in his post match interview, can't be downhearted about yesterday - yes, the first half we were outplayed but we improved a lot in the second.
The lads worked their socks off but it didn't quite work against a side who for the most part were quicker & more experienced than our lads. They also used their experience to pull the wool over the ref's eyes on quite a few occasions
But it's only the first game & I'm still confident that we'll do ok this season - however, comments from someone further along than us such as 'Come on Coley, put a footballer on' disgusted me - couldn't see who it was but if that's what they call supporting their team, well . . . . . .
That was likely "Sarcasm" Di, cos most of em sure didn't look like footballers specially first half.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:48   #37
God Member

No need to shout stuff like that though Cashy, the lads were struggling - surely it's our job to get behind them while they're on that pitch & save opinions for post match discussions with your mates
Some folk have short memories, those same lads were haled as heroes last season & yet, one bad match & the knives are out
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:59   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
No need to shout stuff like that though Cashy, the lads were struggling - surely it's our job to get behind them while they're on that pitch & save opinions for post match discussions with your mates
Some folk have short memories, those same lads were haled as heroes last season & yet, one bad match & the knives are out
Thats a fair point, but can understand some getting peed off with that display though.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:14   #39

No easy games in this league.

As disappointing as yesterday was, I don't think too much needs to change to put things right. We had a good amount of possession, a couple of chances were cleared off the line and we showed that a change in formation meant we could adapt and at least look like we had a chance of scoring. Just thought we lacked some 'identity' - whatever that means!

Thought Finley looked good, made a few things happen with passes going forward. Our wingers were often double marked - centre midfield needs to recognise this and get closer to the play, make themselves more available and knock the ball just past a player to open things up.

No wholesale changes for next weekend, maybe a slight tweak in formation and make sure we start on the front foot.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

To be honest TomD i think our mid-field needs additions, hard for J.C, before deadline day, but badly needed is my view.
DAV007 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be honest TomD i think our mid-field needs additions, hard for J.C, before deadline day, but badly needed is my view.
Like I said Cashy ( and it was good to share some quality time with you yesterday! )..
Midfield yesterday were just not good enough to make any impression on Gillinghams setup .
They were outplayed in every department and bereft of any attacking ideas which made for an easy afternoon for their opponents.. Both our Captain and Scott Brown sad to say both looked not quite ' fit for purpose '... as far as the superior demands of League 1 go anyway. .

But it is early days... and I am busy vigourously polishing the lenses of my rosy red spectacles for future games riding on the STANLEY Rollercoaser !.

ON STANLEY ! ... ON TO GREATER THINGS !!.
cashman likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:54   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Always regard it as a pleasure when i encounter you and AlfredE ,mate.
Old 05-08-2018, 15:17   #43

Good analysis Tom D. It probably wasn’t as bad as we thought at the time.

Obviously there’s always room for improvement but if we want to make the biggest strides I’d be looking at replacing Hughes, Brown and Kee....or, maybe lessening our reliance on these three.

I think if we consider Parker and Zakuani. Parker was much better than Hughes faced last year and it showed, Kee never faced a central defender who managed him with such ease.
Brown....I’m less sure about. Last year he really upped his game and it made a huge difference. But can he do it again and at a higher level?

Clearly there’s loads of question marks about what our best defence is but Sykes, Rogers, Big Ben, Johnson etc are all good enough or likely to improve.

Seamus, Clark and Sean will do ok providing they have some quality alongside them.

Anyway, that’s my current view and I reserve the right to do a massive u turn! Coley and the players usually prove me wrong.
yonmon likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 18:34   #44
Senior Member+

The bottom line for me is very simple.
We’ve lost Chapman Dunne and Donacien from our starting line up.
We’ve stepped up a league with a weaker side.
That will be joined by Kayden this week .... why on earth we played the lad I do not know.
Lord only knows what will happen if we suffer injuries / suspensions.
The next four days are critical.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:50   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
The bottom line for me is very simple.
We’ve lost Chapman Dunne and Donacien from our starting line up.
We’ve stepped up a league with a weaker side.
That will be joined by Kayden this week .... why on earth we played the lad I do not know.
Lord only knows what will happen if we suffer injuries / suspensions.
The next four days are critical.
If Kayden goes then we will get good money for him hopefully freeing a bit of money for some targets of Coleman,s also is there a young striker from Ireland signing for us just something I heard maybe someone on here knows.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..