Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2018, 20:42   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Charlton - Finley is our new god!

Ooops...
Got the full backs the wrong way round on the 'Christmas Tree'.....
(It's that third glass of Malbec to blame!)
Red-Osbornello likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2018, 00:52   #17
Full Member+

I thought Sykes was immense today. Deserves a lot of credit for the way he conducted himself as a young player who was obviously targeted, quite legitimately, by some robust challenges from Charlton. Well done young fellow.
I'm also well impressed with young Finley. He seems to have skipped from non league to L1 seemlessly and would probably give him m.o.m just in front of Johnson who had a much better game at RB today.
Also thought Ben did well at LB, playing out of position and got subbed. I thought he did ok.
Subbing Billy and bringing Zanzala into the game at that stage was a good move (thumbs up for use of sub Mr Manager - 54th min !!) cos we seemed a bit bereft of attacking threat (well what did we expect,..no Jackson).
He showed enough that he can be a threat, and he's young and quick, so hopefully he can be honed into our team to fill that gap.
Finally, some of the interplay between Clark and Johnson, down the right today, was a joy to watch and hopefully that'll develop as the season unfolds.
Good point in the end, I thought, Charlton are a good side with quality players and for the first 25-30 minutes it looked like we were in for a mullering but we slowly and gradually found a way back into the game. Second half they came again and Rippers had some saves to make but we ended strongly and could have nicked it.
Against one of the fancied teams in this division, I think we've done pretty good and should look forward to life in L1. We'll do ok.
cashman and keep the faith like this.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 18:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
I thought we were punching a bit above our weight today
Chrisr's boxing analogy summed up yesterdays match perfectly.
This was akin to a 3 round contest between a big skilful heavyweight & a competent lightweight.
In the opening minutes we began with confidence, dancing round our opponent & landing the occasional blow.
Then, half-way through the first round, he landed the sucker punch & we hit the canvas.
Rising at the count of nine, we staggered about like a punch-drunk fighter trying to avoid the 'coup de grace'.
Miraculously, almost at the end of the last round & after the administration of smelling salts by our trainers, we briefly had the giant on the ropes.
Mind you, it took hammer blows from 3 of our forwards before we landed one squarely on the jaw & the giant finally toppled.
Before the game, their fans were predicting a comfortable 4-0 thrashing of such insignificant opponents - 'Accrington Stanley, who are they?' etc.
Don't bother visiting their forum if you're looking for any plaudits for our plucky comeback, for none you will find.
As far as the Addicks are concerned, they blew the game against quote; 'a poor, non-league standard side, in front of a paltry 2,200 crowd, at the worse ground in the league - bar none!
No acknowledgement of our rise from obscurity to achieve League 1 status. No credit for a worthy opponent overcoming certain defeat.
Just whingeing about how they used to play the likes of Chelsea & just how far they've fallen. Blah, blah, blah!
Yesterday was all about guts & determination overcoming the odds.
We may not be the best team in the league. We may even face a battle to avoid relegation. But, by jove, we'll go down fighting.
No one will defeat our spirit. Let em all come!
In the words of Chumbawamba -
'We get knocked down, but we get up again
You are never gonna keep us down'
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 18:48   #19
Senior Member+

Lord Stiffupperlip....

"We may not be the best team in the league. We may even face a battle to avoid relegation. But, by jove, we'll go down fighting."

You could be right on the first two points but not QUITE on the third point simply because...

WE ARE NOT GOING DOWN!
STANLEY ARE STAYING UP!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 21:38   #20
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington 1-1 Charlton | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports sour Grapes Bowyer Lee Bowyer slams Charlton display in Accrington Stanley draw | News Shopper http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/1...tle-for-point/
Old 20-08-2018, 07:37   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its like i said to Andy Holt, its big headed ness more than sour grapes to me. Bowyer aint used to the likes of us, perhaps one day he will grow up, but we will have to see.
Old 20-08-2018, 09:07   #22
God Member

So, in one breath he's saying no disrespect to us but in the next that a point against us isn't good enough - whatever Mr.Bowyer
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:35   #23

Don't see what he's said that's so wrong.
Charlton are a much bigger club, they finished 6th last season. We are newly promoted, just lost our star striker and Gillingham beat us at home etc etc etc etc etc

They let a 1-0 lead slip.

No wonder he's disappointed.

At least he didn't trot out a load of excuses about the ref, the pitch, they way we played. His anger was at his own players.
Jeg Red likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 14:38   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Don't see what he's said that's so wrong.
Charlton are a much bigger club, they finished 6th last season. We are newly promoted, just lost our star striker and Gillingham beat us at home etc etc etc etc etc

They let a 1-0 lead slip.

No wonder he's disappointed.

At least he didn't trot out a load of excuses about the ref, the pitch, they way we played. His anger was at his own players.
If you can't see what hes implying Lord D, i suggest an I.Q. test.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 20-08-2018, 16:58   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If you can't see what hes implying Lord D, i suggest an I.Q. test.
Cashy, surely you know that members of either of the Houses of Parliament have diplomatic immunity from any attempts to test their intelligence?
cashman likes this.
Old 20-08-2018, 17:50   #26
Senior Member+

Well all I can say is that if I were a Charlton fan witnessing Saturday I’d be over the moon with my Manager for telling how it is.
Charlton should have been home and hosed before they let us back in.
I think we need to stop being so sensitive.
pifco likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 18:05   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Well all I can say is that if I were a Charlton fan witnessing Saturday I’d be over the moon with my Manager for telling how it is.
Charlton should have been home and hosed before they let us back in.
I think we need to stop being so sensitive.
Well yer not a Charlton Fan, yeh they no doubt had the first half and could have had more, but we had the second half and coulda scored a couple ourselves, we didn't they didn't, The couple i spoke to after were well happy with a point, did you actually speak to any?
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
Old 20-08-2018, 19:17   #28

They say football’s a game of opinions and we all see different things in a game. A number of people commenting that they thought Ben had a good game, however, I just didn’t see it. He gave a wholehearted, commited performance (he always does as he’s that type of player), however, I felt he just didn’t use the ball well enough and gave it away too often from unpressured situations. I appreciate he’s filling in and it’s not his natural position - my measure is ‘does he match up to being an effective L1 standard left back’.

If we’re to survive in L1, we need more than effort, we need to add quality into our assessments of who plays well or not.

Thought Johnson was decent, however their goal was from that side and too similar to one of the Gillingham goals. Finlay was our stand out player from my viewpoint. As I said as the start, all about opinions!
ferret man likes this.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 19:19   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well yer not a Charlton Fan, yeh they no doubt had the first half and could have had more, but we had the second half and coulda scored a couple ourselves, we didn't they didn't, The couple i spoke to after were well happy with a point, did you actually speak to any?
I was sat with the Charlton fans actually and two eminent Stanley fans.
They were fuming with their team !
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 20:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
They say football’s a game of opinions and we all see different things in a game. A number of people commenting that they thought Ben had a good game, however, I just didn’t see it. He gave a wholehearted, commited performance (he always does as he’s that type of player), however, I felt he just didn’t use the ball well enough and gave it away too often from unpressured situations. I appreciate he’s filling in and it’s not his natural position - my measure is ‘does he match up to being an effective L1 standard left back’.

If we’re to survive in L1, we need more than effort, we need to add quality into our assessments of who plays well or not.

Thought Johnson was decent, however their goal was from that side and too similar to one of the Gillingham goals. Finlay was our stand out player from my viewpoint. As I said as the start, all about opinions!

Always been and had a look on here out of interest. Decided to give it a punt and like everyone else state there opinion. Position for position Johnson was by far our stand out playe thought he was top draw “in my opinion” him and Clark work together extremely well both easily play championship with Johnson still only 21! As I think some people forget god knows what I was doing at 21. Sam yes was good but isn’t he just a fitter stronger younger Scotty brown? Although I do believe he will play a key role at 26 being in his prime. We desperately need a striker in lacking up top at the moment. So far so good think we will be safe role on tommorow.
Accynewcomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..