Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2018, 22:20   #61
Full Member+

Re: The Black Cats Match Thread

[QUOTE=Chewbacca;1220474]The terms and conditions clearly state "League Ticket" several times. even though the title is not clear.

A policy to deal with refunds/discounts would not mean the rules can be re-written.

Anyway the club adhered to the rules after the Morecambe call off so I am sure it will all be reet.[/QUOTE
Unless the Government get involved.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Think its poor, always have that goals dont count (Hall) going back many many years the same thing happened when Denis Law got a pan full.
Old 10-12-2018, 18:28   #63

[QUOTE=ferret man;1220479]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The terms and conditions clearly state "League Ticket" several times. even though the title is not clear.

A policy to deal with refunds/discounts would not mean the rules can be re-written.

Anyway the club adhered to the rules after the Morecambe call off so I am sure it will all be reet.[/QUOTE
Unless the Government get involved.
Which Morecambe 'call off' the first or second? Yeh need to get some garden forks and let the water drain away. Can't keep charging fans twice for the same game, the EFL will twig what yer up to before long.
Interested Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 19:12   #64
God Member

[QUOTE=Interested Observer;1220504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post

Which Morecambe 'call off' the first or second? Yeh need to get some garden forks and let the water drain away. Can't keep charging fans twice for the same game, the EFL will twig what yer up to before long.
Don't talk rubbish, if you think we can afford for any games to be called off you're in cuckoo land!
The first game called off against your lot shouldn't have been, pitch was playable but the combination of Ellison's theatrics & Jim Bentley in the ref's ear caused the abandonment - nothing to do with the fact you were losing I suppose.
The second one, last New Year's day I think, was down to the ref - he obviously had somewhere to be.
Stop whinging & concentrate on your own club's troubles
Revived Red and Greeny like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 19:16   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1220508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Observer View Post
Don't talk rubbish, if you think we can afford for any games to be called off you're in cuckoo land!
The first game called off against your lot shouldn't have been, pitch was playable but the combination of Ellison's theatrics & Jim Bentley in the ref's ear caused the abandonment - nothing to do with the fact you were losing I suppose.
The second one, last New Year's day I think, was down to the ref - he obviously had somewhere to be.
What else do yeh expect? he lives in Padiham.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:15   #66
God Member

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1220508]
Quote:
even a morecambe player i spoke to said the pitch was fine.
MikeA likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:35   #67
God Member

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1220519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post

even a morecambe player i spoke to said the pitch was fine.
I bet it wasn't Kevin Ellison - he doesn't like puddles
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 13:21   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think its poor, always have that goals dont count (Hall) going back many many years the same thing happened when Denis Law got a pan full.

Remember well that game, I was stood on the (uncovered) terrace behind the goal City were attacking, Denis bagged six goals by half time. Unfortunately, they didn't come out for second half! Memory fades, but, pretty sure it was against Luton Town, & when replayed near end of season, City lost 3-1 !!
cashman likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 13:34   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Remember well that game, I was stood on the (uncovered) terrace behind the goal City were attacking, Denis bagged six goals by half time. Unfortunately, they didn't come out for second half! Memory fades, but, pretty sure it was against Luton Town, & when replayed near end of season, City lost 3-1 !!
My memorys real knackered mate, i knew it was 6, but thought he was still with Huddersfield.
Old 11-12-2018, 18:22   #70
God Member

The King was my boyhood footballing hero.
It was a few years before my adolescent adulation kicked in, but he was playing for City in the FA Cup 4th round against Luton Town when he scored six times, only for the game to be abandoned after 69 minutes owing to (Somerset, please take note) a waterlogged pitch.
It happened on my birthday in 1961.
For those who care or have forgotten, Luton weren’t a bad team then and had been the beaten finalists at Wembley in 1959.
To keep this ‘on thread’, I can only assume Denis must’ve run over a few black cats on his way to Maine Road that day.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 20:28   #71

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1220508]
Quote:
I thought I'd get more abuse than that, poor effort Accy! It was of course said in jest!!LOL. East Lancs weather is notoriously aquatic and it's always going to happen.

I remember your pitch when it was a quagmire in winter so you've come a long way since then. Anyway I'm actually really pleased for you (in a jealous sort of way). Coley is still a Morecambe legend. As a player he'd come and sit at the bar with us and have a pint under the old main stand at Christie Park after games.He is a true gent and football through and through. Those days are just a distant memory now. Hope you all have a Happy Xmas and keep it going. You are a shining example of what a small club can achieve with decent management and a good owner.

Oh and a Happy New Year to you all during which you hopefully finally sort that bloody pitch out!
Interested Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:53   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My memorys real knackered mate, i knew it was 6, but thought he was still with Huddersfield.
i thought that luton cup game was at huddersfield in 1959. i,d just moved down from hartlepool and was at the game. think huddersfield were winning 5 -1 and luton won in the re arranged game.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 13:55   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
i thought that luton cup game was at huddersfield in 1959. i,d just moved down from hartlepool and was at the game. think huddersfield were winning 5 -1 and luton won in the re arranged game.
The abandonded game was at Luton.
Old 12-12-2018, 13:56   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
Funny thing memory.
3rd round of FA Cup on 10th January 1959 saw Luton beat Leeds 5-1, Ipswich beat Huddersfield 1-0, and Accrington Stanley annihilate Darlington 3-0. Later that month Man City were beaten at home in a replay by Grimsby!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958%E2%80%9359_FA_Cup
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 16:05   #75

I concede that memory really deteriorates with advancing years, but, I am sure that the game was at Maine Road, & was a league game, abandoned at half time, replayed later in season, when City lost 3-1, having led 6-2, King Denis having scored all six..... be grateful to any of you techies out there who know how to research the records.... it would have been approximately between '60 & '62.... however, as the game was abandoned, it may not even exist in any records!

Anybody have an e-mail or twitter address for Denis??

Last edited by KiTChener; 12-12-2018 at 16:08.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..