Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2018, 13:07   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: vs Peterborough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Just a couple of observations from one who wasn’t there but has watched, in agony, the so-called highlights!
Criticism of Sir Billy when he’s alone up front seems a tad unfair. Has always seemed to me that his role then is not to be Roy of the Rovers, and be able to beat an entire defence single-handedly before smashing the ball in the net. His primary job, as Chevyfire noted, is to receive, control, and lay off to on-rushing colleagues. Of the three first-half ‘chances’ shown the video, Billy did that in two of them.
I suspect it wasn’t hand ball by the Posh player in the box. Looked like he probably used his chest to control the ball, but it was his bosom that was on the wrong side of the Clayton End but the right side for the ref.
I have been saying fer ages Billy needs another striker with him no doubt at all to me, he was one of the better of a very poor display i thought,but to me most unfair to have him alone as a striker. imho
Chrisr likes this.
Old 30-12-2018, 15:35   #32
Super Moderator

The one good thing about yesterday was another bumper gate (by our standards) - 2,672 including 441 Posh fans. What a pity we couldn't rise to the occasion like we did on Boxing Day.
cashman likes this.
Old 30-12-2018, 17:36   #33

from memory, Billy just isn’t getting any chances to score.
He’s doing well collecting and laying off the ball, but why he subsequently does not get on the end of a move I dunno. Is he not finding the right positions? Not fast enough? Or do the attacks he helps create just end with Clark or Seany blazing over?

Is the Clark/Johnson partnership faltering and not getting round the back and putting the crosses in that Kee capitalises on?

The Dembele/Toney partnership looked a country mile better than our forwards. I suspect that’s because they are two excellent players.
Jeg Red likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 17:39   #34

As others have already said, too many of our players had off days yesterday. I’ll add a couple of other observations. Thought Ripley was at fault for the first three goals - 1st and 3rd were similar in free kicks from right played right into the goalkeeper with real pace and he just couldn’t deal with them. Tovey must only have been 3 yards from goal when he headed first goal and third one was right at Ripley and he simply didn’t react in time. Add that to completely missing his kick and allowing Tovey in for the 2nd goal added up to a poor display. In balance, he did make a couple of decent saves, especially the one low down from Dembele and wasn’t helped by his defence for 2nd goal.

My second point is that I thought Conneely was left with too much workload and hence, ground to cover in midfield as we seemed to lose our shape in the first half, so from my perspective the comments on his performance yesterday should be more balanced.

Happy New Year to all
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:40   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
from memory, Billy just isn’t getting any chances to score.
He’s doing well collecting and laying off the ball, but why he subsequently does not get on the end of a move I dunno. Is he not finding the right positions? Not fast enough? Or do the attacks he helps create just end with Clark or Seany blazing over?

Is the Clark/Johnson partnership faltering and not getting round the back and putting the crosses in that Kee capitalises on?

The Dembele/Toney partnership looked a country mile better than our forwards. I suspect that’s because they are two excellent players.
As to Jordan Clark ?.. no one has mentioned the superb performance from Tyler Denton which totally nullified most of Jordan's efforts !.. A lot has been said about Posh's forwards but their MOM was either Denton or the Centre Back who ensured that Billy couldn't make much difference to the outcome of the match !.

Credit where credit is due ?.

ON STANLEY.... ON TO GREATER THINGS !!.
mab, pifco and monkey hanger like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:04   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
As to Jordan Clark ?.. no one has mentioned the superb performance from Tyler Denton which totally nullified most of Jordan's efforts !.. A lot has been said about Posh's forwards but their MOM was either Denton or the Centre Back who ensured that Billy couldn't make much difference to the outcome of the match !.

Credit where credit is due ?.

ON STANLEY.... ON TO GREATER THINGS !!.
Most times there were 2 men marking Jordon, kept him well quiet i thought.
Old 31-12-2018, 11:04   #37
God Member

agree about denton. best left back i,ve seen against us and played fair also.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 20:28   #38
God Member

At least one person enjoyed his day at The Wham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46721287
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..