Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2019, 22:04   #16

Re: Sunderland game

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
quote from Darragh MacAnthony to Andy on twitter

"None per game for L1 anymore. We all agreed it went into pot as opposed to old way where home team got I think 35k & away team 10k. Usual teams always on and others never on hence a divy up amongst all teams through year as opposed to that way. Sorry pal no dough bonus."
About turn! Now told that Mr. MacAnthony is not up to speed as a return to the 35k home team, 10k away team format came back this season.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2019, 12:51   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
That Sky can dictate when any particular game can be held to suit their own ends & b****r any inconvenience for real fans only confirms who is really controlling our game.
The EFL are but custodians of football & it's time that clubs had a veto over decisions that adversely affect their own fans.
They say 'money talks', but without real fans there would be no game.
trouble is you cannot have it both ways. without the tele money i think stanley would have been up some street without a paddle in the past. some will always attend no matter when or where a game is being played.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 13:20   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
trouble is you cannot have it both ways. without the tele money i think stanley would have been up some street without a paddle in the past. some will always attend no matter when or where a game is being played.
I think if this game had been scheduled for the telly initially when the fixtures first came out it wouldn't have been too much of a problem for most, it's the tinkering with it at relatively short notice that's caused the issues
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 15:10   #19
God Member

Smile Re: Sunderland game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I think if this game had been scheduled for the telly initially when the fixtures first came out it wouldn't have been too much of a problem for most, it's the tinkering with it at relatively short notice that's caused the issues
Agree completely....
KiTChener likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 20:05   #20

Quote:
MH I don't want it both ways. I want to be able to support my team at the Stadium of Light, an experience we have been all eagerly anticipating since the start of the season.
Let's take your argument to it's logical conclusion. Suppose every away game Stanley played was re-arranged to a Friday night to suit Sky TV, making it almost impossible for fans to attend. Would that be acceptable?
Should we expect ordinary fans to sacrifice their loyalty in return for 30 pieces of silver?
Of course there will be some who will always attend. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them & I'm certain I won't be the only one who will find it impossible to make this game.
This is an away game we may only ever get one chance to experience.
Thanks Sky for ruining that experience for the majority of our fans.
AccyMad, KiTChener and sherry like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 20:29   #21
Full Member+

Quote:
MH I don't want it both ways. I want to be able to support my team at the Stadium of Light, an experience we have been all eagerly anticipating since the start of the season.
Let's take your argument to it's logical conclusion. Suppose every away game Stanley played was re-arranged to a Friday night to suit Sky TV, making it almost impossible for fans to attend. Would that be acceptable?
Should we expect ordinary fans to sacrifice their loyalty in return for 30 pieces of silver?
Of course there will be some who will always attend. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them & I'm certain I won't be the only one who will find it impossible to make this game.
The Friday night footy has been common since "Nationwide" days starting 1997, and it is always a bigger clubs that gets the most games. Stanley do the same thing for non-tv matches.

In the conference it happened to us a lot when we were top, such as Forest Green and Gravesend, and goes with the territory.

The Sunderland game is likely to be played mid-week anyway, and I certainly do hope it ends up on a Tuesday in March or April. It is one of the least interesting games just in a big generic stadium.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 22:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The Sunderland game is likely to be played mid-week anyway, and I certainly do hope it ends up on a Tuesday in March or April. It is one of the least interesting games just in a big generic stadium.
I was talking about the away tie originally scheduled for Saturday 16th Feb @ 3.00pm & now moved to Friday night @ 7.45pm, not the re-arranged abandoned home tie, which of course will have to played mid-week.
As for one of the least interesting games in a big generic stadium?
This is a league 1 side who boasted a 46,000 gate on boxing day.
Had we been playing on a Saturday, we may have had 5 or 6 coaches going.
We'll be lucky to muster 2 or 3 for a Friday night match.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:32   #23
God Member

Quote:
do you think sky will bother about a few hundred stanley fans though. think accymad got it right by saying that if it had been altered much earlier then it would not have been as much of an issue. there will be some of our fans also would say why do stanley not get on tele as its the usual so called big teams every week.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:07   #24

Quote:
do you think sky will bother about a few hundred stanley fans though.
MH, you've hit the nail on the head!
Sky don't give a flying fig for real football fans, only the armchair variety.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53   #25
Super Moderator

The EFL get £76 million ( from memory) approx 80% of the external revenue they receive. Vast majority goes directly to clubs.

All sponsors expect "value for money" so they call the shots.

Leeds rarely play at Saturday 3pm as do WBA who have been on Sky thirteen times already this season!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 19:04   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
I was talking about the away tie originally scheduled for Saturday 16th Feb @ 3.00pm & now moved to Friday night @ 7.45pm, not the re-arranged abandoned home tie, which of course will have to played mid-week.
As for one of the least interesting games in a big generic stadium?
This is a league 1 side who boasted a 46,000 gate on boxing day.
Had we been playing on a Saturday, we may have had 5 or 6 coaches going.
We'll be lucky to muster 2 or 3 for a Friday night match.
It has always been subject to change being on an FA Cup weekend, and still remains being subject to being re-arranged. If it does you can blame Coley for beating Soton who could be more adrift in the relegation zone in 2 games time, with a relegation 2 games in 4 days to follow and the EDS playing.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 16:05   #27
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

could be played before our home game with the black cats which is now been moved https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...anged-15733421

Last edited by mab; 25-01-2019 at 16:07.
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 16:06   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yep thats life.
Old 25-01-2019, 17:30   #29
God Member

We're gonna be playing it as a pre-season friendly at this rate . . . . . ... .
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 22:54   #30
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Sunderland game rearranged

Stanley will host Sunderland on Tuesday 2 April, subject to the Black Cats progress in the Checkatrade Trophy.
Jack Ross’ side journey to the Wham Stadium for the second time this season after our original game in December was abandoned due to heavy rain.
Kick-off is at 7.45pm.
Should the Wearside club feature in the Checkatrade Trophy final on Sunday 31 March, our League One clash will be postponed for an additional 24 hours and take place on Wednesday 3 April, as per EFL Regulation 26.4.
Ticket information will be announced in due course.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..