Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2019, 21:35   #16
God Member

Re: The Sunderland match thread.

Im leaving the room
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2019, 21:40   #17
God Member

Phew!
Old 15-02-2019, 21:43   #18
God Member

We were terrible after they scored their first for 10 or so minutes, but I thought we climbed back into it before their final onslaught. Great effort STANLEY.
Old 15-02-2019, 21:52   #19

Really pleased with this performance. Only my third game this season but by far the best. Quality play for most of the 90+. Thought their second goal was a bit unnecessary, and Coneelly's part embarrassing. Not impressed with Donacien either today.
But the passing movement was a joy to watch. Smith of course excellent, but midfield standard very good. Hughes and Sykes I was also impressed with. But this is a team that needs two up front.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 21:55   #20

Agree Greger don't know how Connelly gets a game very poor but one of Coleman's golden boy's.
Old 15-02-2019, 22:18   #21
God Member

I thought Donacien was pretty good...maybe I wasn't watching close enough...
Old 15-02-2019, 22:18   #22

Overall great performance from the lad I'd have taken 2-2 before kick off. Hope we can kick on know. I bet the Dom can't believe Ipswich came in for him 8k a week wow just show you anyone has a chance in football he's pinching money. Very average catching fly's.
Old 15-02-2019, 22:19   #23
God Member

Great result, and great performance from Smyth; fully deserved MoTM.
Wonderful spell from Stanley in latter portion of first half, and two goals up was beyond expectations. But gave Sunderland a route back with some dreadful defending for their first, and then had to endure tremendous pressure.
Looked almost inevitable that Sunderland would get a third but Stanley battled, blocked, and rode their luck to deserve a great point.
Well done to all the lads and the 661 lucky ones who enjoyed it live.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 22:28   #24

Jesus, Smyth is absolute dynamite.
A different class of team with him playing.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 22:40   #25

By Jove! What a great game of football.
Before the game I would have taken a draw all day long but had a feeling we would produce an upset. Oh how close we came to achieving it.
Young Smyth was outstanding & deserved to be m.o.m.
Thought the whole team played well, although our weak link was Conneely.
His 'couldn't be bothered' effort in losing a 50/50 ball led directly to their 2nd goal.
Bet Sunderland thought this would be an easy 3 points after our recent form.
Well done lads for showing that no one should underestimate Stanley.
You did us proud!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 22:56   #26
Junior Member+

Great experience going the stadium of light. To be honest thought view is better from the Clayton end, the height means you can't tell if shots where going in or over at our end.
First half I think we edged it, Smyth was feeding well on balls over the top and kee flick ons. Second half, black cats came out from the start a different beast. At 2-0 we needed to show the game management skills of last season but a combination of Sunderland's class and errors from ourselves meant this didn't happen. For the next 15 minutes Sunderland looked like they could put us to the sword. With substitutions this changed and we got a grip in the game again. Admittedly last 10 minutes Sunderland came again but we held on well in the end. A weird sensation, before the game pleased with the point, but slightly disappointed we didn't see out the 2-0 and the vital 3 points. But lets be fair Sunderland are a decent side, they have just spent 4million on a striker. We now need to grind out the wins for survival.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
James Cheverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 23:07   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
His 'couldn't be bothered' effort in losing a 50/50 ball led directly to their 2nd goal.
Ahhhh it was him...struck me at the time it was a 'pathetic' effort.
Old 15-02-2019, 23:56   #28

Ali was working so we couldn't go annoyingly so watched it in our local in Darwen. Agree with much of what has been written - but wonderfully proud of our football - we were easily the better team in the first 45 - Smyth a constant thorn in their side, oodles of swift, incisive passing, Second goal was magnificent. I'd armed myself at half-time with a large Laphraoig as I was expecting the Alamo and it duly arrived. In the end a point a piece was fair - certainly didn't feel devastating to lose a 2 goal lead this time. Hope it gives the boys the belief to rediscover their mojo at home and to make somre progress in the crucial next four home games. A word for Maxted who produced one terrific, unsighted save second half- as well as Hughes foresight in getting to the goalline for their free-kick toward the end. Must have been a fab game to watch for the neutral, and almost certainly won us a few more friends. Also thought the ref was half-decent also.

To cap a brill evening, turned out ex -Stanley legend Chris Turner was in the house celebrating half-term - we got a handshake and a hug - he is a delightful chap, I suspect a brilliant teacher (he's at Shuttleworth College) and meeting him topped off a brilliant night for us!!
Chrisr likes this.
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 00:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
By Jove! What a great game of football.
Before the game I would have taken a draw all day long but had a feeling we would produce an upset. Oh how close we came to achieving it.
Young Smyth was outstanding & deserved to be m.o.m.

Bet Sunderland thought this would be an easy 3 points after our recent form.
Well done lads for showing that no one should underestimate Stanley.
You did us proud!

Milud, I defer to your judgement most of the time...as it is I thought Seamus was great until his booking - given recent sending off events his giving up on the 50-50 had the look of a fait accomplis (worse than death) and thought Coley might have played the Scotty card when Smyth scored his superb second off a beautiful weighted ball that I've been waiting for Shauny to perfect for about 9 games now... hopefully will re-energise him. But I thought the booking utterly compromised Seamus's effectiveness...
AccyMad likes this.
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 00:54   #30
Full Member+

Great advert for L1 footy. Thought we did well against a team that has massive resources and support. We didn't go to defend and, in spells, played some neat footy. Well impressed with Smyth who deserved his goal and mom. Not sure how long his injury will keep him out of the side, hopefully , not long, as he and Billy seemed to work well.
Hopefully, with 4 home games in succession we can build on this result and get some points on the board
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..