Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2019, 11:09   #16
God Member

Re: Zanzala

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1225656]
Zanzala is currently the third highest goal scorer after Kee and McMarmite and, whilst i’m sure even he will admit he’s no Lukaku, he is a young lad learning his trade and doing his best.

earlier in the season coley mentioned about the fans getting on zanzala,s back and could not understand it as he,s a lovely lad who gives his best. not knocking zanzala but i wonder if coley has given up a bit on him as i do not think he,s had much time on the pitch after being sent off at bradford.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2019, 13:04   #17
God Member

Maybe, MH, but I can guess his answer if you asked Professor Coleman directly. He can’t afford to ‘give up’ on any player but, unless Stanley start playing rugby union to give a game to 15 rather than 11 players, some of the currently extensive squad are going to miss out.
But, should a player need to be brought into the match team, we need to be reinforcing confidence in his abilities, not undermining it.
Unless it’s an attempt to ‘bigup’ a ‘fringe’ player who’s a friend, family or client, or the end of the season when squad decisions need to be made, I don’t think chipping away at specific players at this stage is helpful.
yonmon likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 13:08   #18
God Member

think the signing of armstrong and smyth says a lot about zanzala.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 15:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
A centre forward who can’t stay upright and hold off defenders ? ........... Not much else to say is there ? I watched him under 18s and he bullied defenders scored regularly. He then lost a full season with a bad knee injury and has never rediscovered his old form.
Maybe the injury has done for him.
He played one of the Trickatrump games early on (Macc maybe) and showed what he CAN do. He bullied, hareassed, shoulder barged, and just generally 'bullied' their defence. It was a joy to watch and i remember thinking there and then that this was the player Coley spoke about. He needs time. When he 'mans up' mentally and physically he'll be a beast
AccyMad and smudgie like this.
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 16:04   #20
God Member

Personally, I'd rather watch Zanzala than Armstrong & he is our own player so let's get behind him instead of slagging him off, he really does try & when it all clicks together for him he'll be a real asset
MikeA, smudgie, KiTChener and 2 others like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 16:08   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest i would rather watch Smyth and he aint ours, at this point in time, maybe later if he comes too a bit, ok.
Old 18-03-2019, 09:17   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd View Post
He played one of the Trickatrump games early on (Macc maybe) and showed what he CAN do. He bullied, hareassed, shoulder barged, and just generally 'bullied' their defence. It was a joy to watch and i remember thinking there and then that this was the player Coley spoke about. He needs time. When he 'mans up' mentally and physically he'll be a beast

But not league One Spartacus. I'm sure we'll get over the line this season and I'm also sure that thoughts for next season will maybe include integrating players with experience of the league.
That will need investment and also mean less reliance on the loan market.
There could be quite a shake up of the squad next season.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 09:27   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If the idea is to progress in league 1 a shake up is defo needed, imho
Old 18-03-2019, 09:47   #24

Quote:
But not league One Spartacus. I'm sure we'll get over the line this season and I'm also sure that thoughts for next season will maybe include integrating players with experience of the league.
I get your point 28, but my thoughts on Zz are that he needs more belief. The game against Macc seemed like it couldve been a beginning, pretty sure he got a few of his goals around that time as well. What will be will be for that young man i just cant help thinking he's another Kurtis Guthrie
KiTChener and Revived Red like this.
Old 18-03-2019, 17:49   #25
God Member

Quote:
League one experience costs not just a fee but the bigger stumbling block wages can't personally see that much of a budget increase maybe as we grow the income side which is slowly happening yes but I wouldn't expect to much too soon, hopefully if the training facility is up and running for the start of the season that in itself is a bit more of a pull in attracting the right players but they have to want to come.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 20:05   #26
Senior Member+

Well I previously mentioned this on a previous thread.
If the budget remains the same then the loan market it is.
If the loan market it is then on the pitch there will be little or no progress.
If everyone is happy with this and I understand many fans with long standing history with the club will be, that's great.
It will only become a problem if or when expectation grows from the stands and terraces.
Not for me personally but I accept four years in doesn't qualify me as having an opinion.
The club to date has decided infrastructure is the priority investment wise.
I just think having toiled to get to this elevated status it would be a damn shame to risk that due to a lack of investment in the squad.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:52   #27
Full Member+

It doesn't matter whether you are "only" four years in everyone is entitled to their opinion and I also know that many people prefer some money to be spent on infrastructure after years of hearing away fans often commenting "what a s**thole this is" and similar. It has been good to hear away fans saying that they have had a great day what agreat atmosphere we have at the Wham.
KiTChener, cashman, Chimer and 1 others like this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 07:21   #28
God Member

At the time of Andy Holt coming in the club was virtually skint and was facing the end, now with new ownership and someone guiding the ship we have through various incentives and infrastructure improvements the budget is as I said before is slowly growing it will get better but it will not happen overnight staying up is the priority at this time.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 07:57   #29

Quote:
The club to date has decided infrastructure is the priority investment wise.
I just think having toiled to get to this elevated status it would be a damn shame to risk that due to a lack of investment in the squad.
When we won the NPL we had a tidy little ground and our zero or one full time staff was ample. All money was redirected to the playing squad. Three years later we exceeded expectation and won The Conference. TV monies aside there was no great increase in revenue but wages sky rocketed. Since then it was always the case that every spare penny went into the squad leaving us on a trail of increasing debt and rapid decline of facilities.

The next ten years saw us go from being the poorest club with the poorest facilities, to being far and away the poorest club with disgusting facilities. Andy came in, put his hand on the tiller and turned us into a profitable club. That said we still have the poorest facilities and are still the poorest club (with the possible exception of Morecambe). We have competed admirably during that period which is testament to Coleman.

If we doubled our playing budget we would still be in the bottom 3 or 4 clubs of League 2, but would be back to the cycle of having no money to pay bills or improve infrastructure.

It might be 'little Stanley' mentality but i am more than happy to see little progress on the pitch for the foreseeable future. If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

Some clubs spend success windfall money on gambling for more success, we're spending ours on cementing what we have as a club rather than a team
smudgie and KiTChener like this.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:17   #30
Senior Member+

As I alluded to before I am not a seasoned campaigner so take on board everything that the long standing supporters say.
I see it as a balancing act.
We’ve made a huge profit on Jackson and Donacien but precious little went back into the playing budget.
A little investment in the front line and centre mid could have made a massive difference this year.
Next year will be even tougher because assuming this is the way the club moves on then inevitably we’ll cash our chips in on a few nuggets.
Sykes Johnson Clark ?
If that happens and the profit ploughed into infastructure how do we replace them ?
Total admiration for Andy Holt and what he’s achieved so I’m assuming there’s a game plan in place.
KiTChener likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..