Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2019, 21:19   #16
Senior Member+

Re: the vs Fleetwood match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Something smells fishy - have Stanley had their chips?
We can bemoan missed chances, unfair decisions by officials & well rehearsed gamesmanship by our opponents till the boat comes in.
The fact is that, based on today's performance, we're sinking faster than the Titanic.
This was the day we were going to win & sail up the league. Instead, Fleetwood came with a game plan & we were done up like a kipper.
Devoid of any creativity from a static midfield, we seemed unable to make any impact until, too late in the day, we finally made some substitutions.
Barlaser improved the midfield & little Sousa injected some pep down the wing. If only this had been done at half-time, the result may have been different.
Alas, it proved too little too late.
Against a well drilled League 1 outfit, our deficiencies stood out like sore thumb. Too many of our squad are just not up to the job at this higher level.
For once, our defence were not the main culprits. IMO both Sykes & Rodgers played well, although Donacien had a nightmare game.
We just can't buy a goal at the moment, due largely to our players inability to find any space beyond the half-way line, unlike opponents, who always seem to find acres.
Oh how we missed Jordan Clark.
Unless we start scoring goals, I fear that Davy Jones' Locker awaits.
PS. If you can think of any more fishy puns, let minnow!
Well I am really having to 'Dredge the Depths' a bit tonight Lord S in response to your observations!
The Wham Stadium today was certainly no 'Plaice' for cultured football today from either the 'Fisherman of Fleetwood' or the 'Flounders from Accrington'. I listened to Jo(k)ey Barton's interview on Radio Lancs on my way home and he showed just how much a 'Fish out of Water' he really is by his self contradictions! More like 'A man overboard' in all honesty!
The Stanley 'Crew' selected today was so unbalanced as if 'The Nets had been Cast only over one side of Eric Cantona's Trawler'. It was only after Dimitar 'Fished'' the ball out of our 'Net' after the 'Fishermen' scored that we seemed to 'Cast our Lines Forward' but only somewhat briefly as the 'Tide' definitely seemed to be against us what with the 'Fishermens' 'Dogfishy' tactics and the Referee being 'All at Sea'. Yet another Ref who 'Sealed' a poor performance by only adding on 4 minutes of added time when he could have thrown Stanley a 'Lifeline' by adding on a bit more!
Most of the Stanley players played like they were 'Seasick', leaning over the 'Ships Side' intent on hitting the 'The Sea' with their vomit (Gromit).......(Couldn't help myself there!)
'Coley' needs to get our boys to 'Sail' through these 'Current Stormy Waters' without letting us 'Sink' too far. Some of our boys seemed to play with a lack of 'Sole' today. Although it seems to be a 'Titanic' task ahead, I am confident that when 'Coley' and 'The 'Bell' 'Trawl' through the match video with the 'Captain' Seamus and the players that they will soon have the 'Stanley Crew' 'Surfing back up the League'!

Actually, in truth tonight I feel a bit 'Washed Up' like a 'Beached Whale' tonight.

Last edited by choirboy; 30-03-2019 at 21:24.
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2019, 21:39   #17

There was no porpoise to our play.

As for Barton , he can go suck on a fisherman’s friend.

That said, I do wish our Chairman would stop commenting on other clubs as if he is Socrates ( the one who played for Greece Utd)
Old 30-03-2019, 22:07   #18

Worst performance in years?
Only young Finley was half decent today. Deserved to lose.
Old 30-03-2019, 23:36   #19
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Simpson;1226284]There was no porpoise to our play.

As for Barton , he can go suck on a fisherman’s friend.

There's a pun in there Simpson... but I'll decline to use it !..

Instead I'll just ask for one thing as far as our team goes..
Not a new player to come along and work miracles, but a real Captain
to lead the players on the field.. The two on show today, when it was sorely needed did not show one ounce of drive and purpose between them, which makes me think that they are either in need of a course on Man-management skills, or even worse that they are just not up to it !. I fear the latter is nearest the truth !.

Quo Vadis Stanley ?.
Revived Red likes this.
Old 31-03-2019, 07:27   #20
Senior Member+

I presume Kee's goal disallowed for a push but can't find a video of the incident
Old 31-03-2019, 07:51   #21

Think I'm right in saying the limit went up to 15 yellow cards after 37 games so no suspension for McConville.
choirboy likes this.
Old 31-03-2019, 08:49   #22
God Member

Smile Re: the vs Fleetwood match thread

When I saw the line up on the team sheet, not only was I confused as to the formation, positions etc. I was more than a little worried

I put that to the side, as I have faith in the Team and Management......

There are quite a few things that I am not sure about at the moment with Stanley, but the one thing I am sure of, is that at the end of the season - when we are safe and I know we will be - John, Jimmy and Co. will have learnt more than they realise at this moment in time!!

This time in 12 months, we will not be in the same position

AccyMad and choirboy like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
Old 31-03-2019, 09:05   #23
Senior Member+

There has to be a shaking up of the squad if we’re still in league one. That’s going to take investment like it or not.
Alternatively cash our chips in on a few while we can get fees and reinvest.
Managers and coaches can’t keep performing miracles finding golden nuggets.
I just hope we don’t resort to the loan market again.
Imagine the position we would be in now if Ripley Anderton and ihiekwe had been permanent.
Old 31-03-2019, 09:22   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Worst performance in years?
Only young Finley was half decent today. Deserved to lose.
Don't think we deserved to lose any more than Fleetwood deserved to win - poor showing from both sides & should have ended in a draw imho.
Then again, if Billy's goal had stood & after watching the highlights last night I can't see much difference in the circumstances of both goals, it could have been a very different game
Old 31-03-2019, 09:35   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
Think I'm right in saying the limit went up to 15 yellow cards after 37 games so no suspension for McConville.
thank you, good job some ones on the ball
Old 31-03-2019, 10:18   #26
God Member

Had to miss the last 10 minutes as had a train to catch worst game by both sides as a spectacle but if Billy,s goal hadn't been ruled out and the stonewall penalty given we would have taken the 3 points against a very dirty team despite what Barton the vocal pillock he is thinks about his great side that deserved to win by 4 or 5.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 31-03-2019, 11:12   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was sick as a parrot having to miss the game, but after hearing my mates comments after the match, am damn glad i did.
Old 31-03-2019, 12:22   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
I presume Kee's goal disallowed for a push but can't find a video of the incident
Billy definitely pushed the defender. I could even see if cleary from the Clayton End. I wasn't happy with some of the fouls that Fleetwood got away with though. Especially the foul on Smyth mid way through the second half. He was not only pushed to the ground but he had his head trodden on. He played the rest of the match with a large stud mark scrape across his face that could have passed for a very serious 'Jellyfish' sting?
Old 31-03-2019, 13:12   #29
Full Member+

The bar was a farce at half time too - staff waiting for a barrel to be changed for 15 mins rather than serving or offering other beers.

Bad day all round.
Old 31-03-2019, 13:23   #30
God Member

Next 4 games are now crucial Sunderland home,Wimbledon away,then Rochdale and Walsall both home we have to be looking for at least 4 to 6 points from these games to stand a realistic chance of staying in this division time for players staff and fans to all get behind everything to carry us to a bit of luck and over the line.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..