Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree57Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2019, 15:48   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sunderland home thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Barlaser while being a more talented player has underperformed for us.
If he'd fulfilled expectations we would not be resorting to an undercooked Conneely.

Seamus is the only midfielder we have who can be relied on to keep some shape.
I don't mind if Seamus can't pass forward: that's not his job. He's there to screen the defence, win the ball and give it to the better players.
Not a great ball winner i think, plus an under performing kid is better in my view, we certainly played much better second half or did yeh miss that? Also we had a damn good defender a few years back who was played too much when not fit didn't do him any favours or do yeh not remember that?
Old 04-04-2019, 15:52   #32

Which he's not done in either of his both games back has he ?
cashman likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 16:00   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Barlaser while being a more talented player has underperformed for us.
If he'd fulfilled expectations we would not be resorting to an undercooked Conneely.

Seamus is the only midfielder we have who can be relied on to keep some shape.
I don't mind if Seamus can't pass forward: that's not his job. He's there to screen the defence, win the ball and give it to the better players.
Our Captain ( ?).. Is unfortunately injured and it shows. But when fit his skill levels appear to be far below those of most midfield players of other teams who have visited THE WHAM this season, and perhaps this is the reason why his contribution to a game appears to be limited.
Unfortunately this applies to the other midfielders in the squad, defending is at a premium, and finding and making a telling pass is seldom seen in a game. This in my humble opinion is one of the major factors affecting the current lack of success and more importantly POINTS at this concerning time in our season.
However, the status quo is unlikely to change at all so my fervent hope is that one or more of our midfield can find that something extra which will change the outcome of one or more of the remaining games !.. it really does rest on their shoulders to shield the defence and feed the right pass to Billy and Paul. A bridge too far ?..I hope not !.

But what do I know ?.. so JC and JB work YOUR magic.. please !!

KTF.. ON STANLEY ON TO GREATER THINGS !.
Old 04-04-2019, 17:55   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

For me we aint had a better Midfielder played for stanley since Matty Crooks. For me next season we certainly need one of those at least, a striker, and a keeper, its fine saying our lad is good, but his distribution is chronic, thought Sunderland could possibly have got 2 or 3 more last night through his poor distribution in fact we were lucky they didn't in my view.
chevyfire and andyd like this.

Last edited by cashman; 04-04-2019 at 17:59.
Old 04-04-2019, 18:22   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
For me we aint had a better Midfielder played for stanley since Matty Crooks. For me next season we certainly need one of those at least, a striker, and a keeper, its fine saying our lad is good, but his distribution is chronic, thought Sunderland could possibly have got 2 or 3 more last night through his poor distribution in fact we were lucky they didn't in my view.
Agree with you Cashy on Crooks and our need for a midfielder and striker as for the keeper as far as his goalkeeping is concerned he looks quite good and with games under his belt could improve his distribution Maxted isn't a bad backup so unless we go for 3 senior keepers not a priority in my opinion other plenty of other I might add positions need improvement and quality regardless of what league we participate in next season.
Old 04-04-2019, 18:26   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

How old is the keeper? dont look a kid to me therefore if he aint his distribution should be up to scratch have just looked he is 25. no kid at all.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 19:42   #37
Junior Member+

The set piece deliveries are a bit worrying for me, that was our biggest threat in League 2 and at the start of the season and now they are none existent! We have tall players like Ross, Callum, Ben and Mark say yet we don’t even pass the ball near them?
Also think JC has to take some reponsibility for the starting positioning of Callum and Janoi, they usually play the opposite and no wonder Callum hardly got a touch of the ball, he’s a right footer. Whenever he did get the ball he could not attack as Sunderland sussed him out straight away, no left foot so would just cut inside on his right and their RB had that option covered straight away.
A few positives to take from second half so onwards and upwards for the remaining matches
Old 04-04-2019, 21:52   #38

Last night proved only one thing - Sunderland are too good for League 1
On the subject of our midfield, whatever happened to Liam Nolan?
I always thought young Liam was a quick thinking, cultured midfielder, always trying to make that telling pass forward.
More importantly, he actually wanted the ball & was always looking for space to receive it.
His continued absence still puzzles me.
AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 1 others like this.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:17   #39

Just looked at the figures for agents fees. Sunderland spent just under £3 million, we spent £4815. Says it all really. You can only get so far with effort and the budget we've got. Hopefully we can pick up 6 points from the next 3 games and look forward to another season in League 1.
Revived Red likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:40   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip;1226561
On the subject of our midfield, whatever happened to Liam Nolan?
I always thought young Liam was a quick thinking, cultured midfielder, always trying to make that telling pass forward.
More importantly, he actually [I
wanted[/I] the ball & was always looking for space to receive it.
His continued absence still puzzles me.
been thinking the same. was similar to seamus last season and thought he,d push on to play in his position. if not injured it certainly puzzles me why he,s not in the squad unless his face doesn,t fit or a disruptive influence.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:19   #41
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1226569or a disruptive influence.[/QUOTE]

MH... Perhaps a disruptive influence in the shape of Liam Nolan. or anyone else of a disruptive nature might not be a bad thing ?. Just might shake up the other midfielders a little bit in the lethargic comfort zones they seem to have created for themselves. Perhaps a 'disruptive ' character on-field might also prove to be a more capable Captain / Vice Captain than the duo currently filling these positions ?.
On the other hand a disruptive influence within the squad might destroy the camaraderie which seems to exist within it,. But once again my thoughts are turning into suppositories ( damn that predictive text ! ) Suppositions was what I was going to say !. Time for my midday Medication and Nap ?.

ON STANLEY ...ON TO GREATER THINGS !

Last edited by yonmon; 05-04-2019 at 10:22.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:24   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

As the object is SUrvival then Nolan cant be any worse than whats playing midfield at this time?
Old 05-04-2019, 10:46   #43
God Member

clarke, mcconville,barlaser and finley our best 4 midfielders at the club for me but all are better going forward than defending and thats before they pick up cautions when they do defend.
cashman likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:30   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
clarke, mcconville,barlaser and finley our best 4 midfielders at the club for me but all are better going forward than defending and thats before they pick up cautions when they do defend.

Agreed mate - but as you rightly point out none of them has an out and out defensive gene.
Jordan has come on leaps and bounds in that respect and maybe just maybe his absence from the starting line up has exposed Johnson's weakness because Sousa ain't going to battle back as an example.
Football teams are about balance and we are totally imbalanced.
No left footers and no defensive anchor man. Players playing out of position etc etc.
Brought in two left backs ........ where are they ?
Wood least said the better and Gibson I can only think still struggling health wise.
Old 05-04-2019, 14:16   #45

I think we've missed Anderton far more than anticipated
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..