Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2019, 19:10   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Plymouth (H) match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Lets get real, staying in League1 with our resources is a tremendous achievement, imho
Agree brother

Really nice of the ultras today, in there somewhat justified anti accyweb chant, they added the caveat except for DAV007

Let’s not forget We are Stanley, we are a family
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2019, 19:19   #32
Senior Member+

Regarding the game, the 3rd , 4th and 5th goals where special.
The 5th goal in particular was a brilliant interchange between the 2 wingers and striker.

The 3rd goal showed the gulf between Stanley and Plymouth, a team goal of about 10 passes from left to right from the back to the front, top class.

Plymouth are in trouble, the distribution from their centre half’s and midfield was dreadful; their subs improved matters for them and they could arguably have scored 3 today with a last gasp Stanley goalline clearance and a last second block that took the ball over the bar.
In the first half their striker Taylor also forced Maxted into a good save before we got the penalty.
If Plymouth stay up or go down, they need a better quality keeper and right back and those 2 subs especially Ladapo should be starting games.
I felt their manager came with the game plan to stay in the game as long as possible, but Stanley where clinical throughout.

I did find the referee a bit gulable today, he gave the players everything they appealed for; Stanley picked up on this and used it to their advantage such as the free kick for the 2nd goal which may not have been given under a different ref.
The referee being gullible isn’t Stanley’s fault, it’s Plymouth’s own fault for not recognising it until late and using it to their own advantage.
choirboy likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 20:31   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Eh ?
What’s that about ?
The own goal produced a two point swing from Kiwi to Lord Stiffupperlip in the Prediction League, leaving Kiwi still 2 points behind with one to play. The serious stuff, you know
AccyMad, Kiwi John, sherry and 1 others like this.
Old 27-04-2019, 20:46   #34
Senior Member+

Fully agree with you Dav on the comments about how well we played today!
As Coley said in his post match interview we seemed to just' Click' today in many aspects of our play. Janoi looked much more comfortable at right back but Ben did well at left back. Hughes was cool and showed his experience and Ross cleared everything in the first half. I did notice that Ross was massaging his left side after 35 or so minutes which was probably what forced him to be subbed at half time. Rogers came on and although Plymouth forced us back for the first ten minutes of the second half Rogers weathered that period and settled in well after that for the rest of the match. Johnni Maxted was in the right place at the right times to make the necessary saves and blocks that you would expect your keeper to make! Once we got ahead with the penalty our boys seemed to relax and began to play the type of passing game that Coley and Jimmy advocate!
Midfield was strong and Coneely was really combative and ran the show with Barlaser doing his creative work going forward.
Out wide Sean and Jordan ran the legs off Plymouth. Some of Jordan's first touches were immaculate and everything Sean attempted seemed to be 'Sprinkled with Gold!'
From two nil up we really grew in confidence and the third goal was just a superb 'team goal'. The move started with a clearing header from Hughes and was swiftly and calmly passed out from the right side of defence diagonally through midfield to the left wing and was finally finished unselfishly and expertly! Armstrong deserved his goal for his unrelenting effort and I was so pleased for him to score.
Up front Billy did his stuff winning a lot of the ball and laying it off to team mates and Armstrong got stuck into everything!
It was a shame that we didn't keep a clean sheet but who can argue with a 5 - 1 victory against any League One team!
Last season we won the right to play League One football by finishing as Champions of League Two!
This season we have done just as well as we have achieved the same right to play League One football again next season but against much tougher opposition!
I used to say that surviving in League Two was like winning another trophy!
In League One the same applies but with even more meaning as the opposition is so much tougher!
ON STANLEY ON TO
ANOTHER SEASON IN LEAGUE ONE!

AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 2 others like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 05:06   #35
God Member

Quote:
Eh ?
What’s that about ?
Harvey Rogers, credited with scoring an own goal.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 07:32   #36
God Member

Question Re: Plymouth (H) match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Agree brother

Really nice of the ultras today, in there somewhat justified anti accyweb chant, they added the caveat except for DAV007

Must have missed that mate?

I did though hear the "Up the Accyweb" chant a couple of times, maybe this is what you are confused with

Great vocal support from all on the Clayton End yesterday

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:15   #37
God Member

Couldn't have asked for more yesterday great way to see out the season like Plymouth was even glad for the ones who had stayed behind when they scored some of the nicer people amongst away fans talking to a few in town afterwards still laughing and joking even in their position hope they stay up as for us we can now look forward not just to next season but the way Andy Holt governs our finances could teach most other efl clubs a thing or two we can really grow as a club now IMHO see you next season.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:58   #38
Senior Member+

I am so pleased ( bordering on the ecstatic actually !) for everyone who has anything at all to do with THE STANLEY !. Not only for the young men who do the kicking and heading of a football week in week out, or the Manager and his Assistant who work their weekly miracles with such meagre resources to hand, nor the generous Andy Holt
and his team of administrators. But also the other faithful fans who have joined me on the weekly ride on the Rollercoaster , had the thrills and spills, and finally come up with the magnificent prize of seeing our Team, in spite of playing in such an exalted atmosphere, battle against all odds and proudly hold their heads up as established members of League 1 !.

So on to meet Pompey .. another Pharsalus ( for the historians ! ) ?.. another 3 points ?.. another taste of glory ?... I hope so !.

ON STANLEY ON !.. TO EVEN GREATER THINGS !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 10:04   #39

'Oh What A Lovely War!'
The 1969 musical satire on World War 1 seems a fitting analogy to sum up yesterdays battle for survival.
Are we all mad? We who follow football.
Every year we rush with patriotic fervour to join the colours, to don the scarlet tunic of our red army.
Every week we volunteer for front line duty. Hoping for victory but fearing defeat.
And as in war, for every winner there is a loser. For every survivor a casualty.
Strangely, I felt no sense of euphoria after yesterdays victory, just relief that we have survived another campaign - that we live to fight another day.
As I waited to board my train home, I was joined by a few stragglers, the walking wounded of the Pilgrim Brethren.
It takes a special kind of loyalty to travel 624 miles to watch your hopes die on a muddy field in Lancashire.
They travelled in silence mostly. Defeated & weary from too many lost battles. Resigned in the knowledge that for them, the war is over.
As we march back to the safety of mid-table, they face a fate worse than death for any football follower - Relegation!
'The Bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling for you but not for me'
Let us spare a thought for our gallant opponents. For there but for the grace of God & a Sean McConville hat-trick go we!
I recall a song from the film which captured the dawning reality of war for the weary foot soldier;
'When this lousy war is over
Oh how happy I will be
When I get my civvie clothes on
No more soldiering for me'

Will we come to our senses? Give up the fight & take life easy every Saturday, free ourselves from constant worry, from the heartache of defeat?
Never! I've already enrolled for another term on the front line.
Truly, we are all mad!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:16   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
'Oh What A Lovely War!'
The 1969 musical satire on World War 1 seems a fitting analogy to sum up yesterdays battle for survival.
Are we all mad? We who follow football.
Every year we rush with patriotic fervour to join the colours, to don the scarlet tunic of our red army.
Every week we volunteer for front line duty. Hoping for victory but fearing defeat.
And as in war, for every winner there is a loser. For every survivor a casualty.
Strangely, I felt no sense of euphoria after yesterdays victory, just relief that we have survived another campaign - that we live to fight another day.
As I waited to board my train home, I was joined by a few stragglers, the walking wounded of the Pilgrim Brethren.
It takes a special kind of loyalty to travel 624 miles to watch your hopes die on a muddy field in Lancashire.
They travelled in silence mostly. Defeated & weary from too many lost battles. Resigned in the knowledge that for them, the war is over.
As we march back to the safety of mid-table, they face a fate worse than death for any football follower - Relegation!
'The Bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling for you but not for me'
Let us spare a thought for our gallant opponents. For there but for the grace of God & a Sean McConville hat-trick go we!
I recall a song from the film which captured the dawning reality of war for the weary foot soldier;
'When this lousy war is over
Oh how happy I will be
When I get my civvie clothes on
No more soldiering for me'

Will we come to our senses? Give up the fight & take life easy every Saturday, free ourselves from constant worry, from the heartache of defeat?
Never! I've already enrolled for another term on the front line.
Truly, we are all mad!
So eloquently put Lord S !..

But I was tempted to paraphrase that great song from 'Damn Yankees '...

You've gotta have heart
All you really need is heart
When the odds are sayin' you'll never win
That's when the grin should start
You've gotta have hope
Mustn't sit around and mope
Nothin's half as bad as it may appear
Wait'll next year and hope

And isn't that still the message for us all ?, of Having the heart to support the Reds... and always hoping for the better things still to come (EVEN when out with the collecting buckets ..remember that ?).

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR AND HOPE... CAN'T WAIT !!.
Oldgobbin and cashman like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 12:52   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Agree brother

Good to see you yesterday
Top man

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 13:00   #42
Senior Member+

I think my eyesight is failing fast even with glasses.
I've watched the og back a few times now as I was convinced it was in off Yosser.
I still see it that way ..........
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 13:58   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think my eyesight is failing fast even with glasses.
I've watched the og back a few times now as I was convinced it was in off Yosser.
I still see it that way ..........
Looked like that to me too TwentyEight....
Perhaps a deflection off Sykes but then a second deflection of Hughes!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:08   #44
Full Member+

Looked like that to me too TwentyEight....
Perhaps a deflection off Sykes but then a second deflection of Hughes!

sykes went off at half time his legs aren't that long choirboy lol
AccyMad, yonmon, choirboy and 1 others like this.
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:12   #45
Full Member+

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

very busy, you can't get on lol
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..