Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2019, 09:27   #31

Re: The Shrewsbury match thread.

My first game of the season, and I need to keep a clear head and not make my mind up about our prospects too early. I suggest we all need to do the same.

Remember, its all about budgets. Ours is low.

We rely on turning up "nuggets" either young and hungry or more experienced who may be losing or have lost their way.

Last season we complained we had too many loans, this season the balance has changed which may help in the weeks and months to come. We created enough chances to win the game but our finishing wasn't quite good enough. I saw enough last night to conclude that we are a good team in the making. It will be up to Coley and Jimmy to nurture, motivate and make the nuggets into little gems.......

Stanley playing in League 1 ......UNBELIEVABLE (for those of you who know our history?) ........I for one know we are living the dream....KTF
AccyMad and choirboy like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2019, 10:08   #32
Senior Member+

Also my first game of the season............ needless to say what a nightmare result.

What seems to be quite strange to me, is that we have the opposite problem of what we usually have at Stanley. The normal amount of early season solid defence and lack of goals has pretty much been 20 of the last 25 season's that I have been going on the crown. (Lutel & Mullin) (Grant & Symes) (Kee & Jackson) apart have really only been what I would call a "proper" strike pairing from August onwards. This year however we seem to have the goals, What a strike from Charles by the way..................

BUT as others have said, at the back we look like schoolboys. Is Evtimov the answer ?? At the moment, you would have to say No. Yes he has made some great saves against Lincoln and Wimbledon in particular, but for me, his decision making & communication simply isnt there.

Maguire again as others have said, had a poor game at LB, assuming Angel will come straight back in on Saturday? Not sure where a few rated Finley last night, thought he pretty much offered nothing along with Conneely.

Coley said we will win games if we carry on playing like that, but on last night's viewing we need major surgery at the back, im my humble opinion !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:16   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Also my first game of the season............ needless to say what a nightmare result.

What seems to be quite strange to me, is that we have the opposite problem of what we usually have at Stanley. The normal amount of early season solid defence and lack of goals has pretty much been 20 of the last 25 season's that I have been going on the crown. (Lutel & Mullin) (Grant & Symes) (Kee & Jackson) apart have really only been what I would call a "proper" strike pairing from August onwards. This year however we seem to have the goals, What a strike from Charles by the way..................

BUT as others have said, at the back we look like schoolboys. Is Evtimov the answer ?? At the moment, you would have to say No. Yes he has made some great saves against Lincoln and Wimbledon in particular, but for me, his decision making & communication simply isnt there.

Maguire again as others have said, had a poor game at LB, assuming Angel will come straight back in on Saturday? Not sure where a few rated Finley last night, thought he pretty much offered nothing along with Conneely.

Coley said we will win games if we carry on playing like that, but on last night's viewing we need major surgery at the back, im my humble opinion !
Your point about Finley and Conneely ie: midfield is what I have been crowing on about for months any opposition manager or spy's watching must see it has well, all well and good flying down the wings I love it but when it breaks down we have no plan b midfield is often just a open chasm from front to back even poor sides will exploit this never mind good ones.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 11:17   #34
Senior Member+

What I would do to have a Jimmy Ryan/ Proccy/ Bryan Hughes type player right now !!
Old 21-08-2019, 11:30   #35

https://www.skysports.com/football/a...ewsbury/409936
Just watched the video highlights on sky.
Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!
It's even worse than I remember on the night.
Their first was a blunder par excellence.
Their second from a corner was a free header as the whole defence, standing like statues, simply watched it fly in the net.
The third was schoolboy stuff, with a solitary Maguire left alone to defend our own half.
A quick high ball out of defence, a fortunate bounce for them - and Bobs yer Uncle!
To surrender a 2 goal lead at home is unforgivable at any level.
At League 1 standard, it's suicidal.
yonmon and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 12:24   #36

I thought their second from the corner was actually a front post side foot and not a header, no one attacking the ball and just letting it drop for a near post tap in.
As for the first, should have been emptied out the ground (akin to their 3rd), by our right back who tried to nick it in the tackle like several times last year, lost it and they broke and crossed it with Hughes and others running back to rescue it.
Yes keeper spilt it, but we had and lost possession at right back first.
monkey hanger likes this.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 13:39   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

From my point of view our keeper plays far too many short balls out, manys the time it does NOT look the best choice to me? i would be tempted to give the young england under 19 a start at Fleetwood.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 21-08-2019, 14:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
From my point of view our keeper plays far too many short balls out, manys the time it does NOT look the best choice to me? i would be tempted to give the young england under 19 a start at Fleetwood.
Get the feeling this is deliberate policy at Stanley judging by the number of times Hughes literally stood next to Evtimov demanding the ball.
This resulted in some scary moments as soon as Shrewsbury realised what was going on.
By contrast, their keeper was pinging long balls into our half whenever he could.
IMHO, the longer the ball stays in our half the more risk there is of a cock-up.
cashman, pifco and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:50   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Get the feeling this is deliberate policy at Stanley judging by the number of times Hughes literally stood next to Evtimov demanding the ball.
This resulted in some scary moments as soon as Shrewsbury realised what was going on.
By contrast, their keeper was pinging long balls into our half whenever he could.
IMHO, the longer the ball stays in our half the more risk there is of a cock-up.
you may well be correct, but for me its a crazy policy if so.
Old 21-08-2019, 15:19   #40
Full Member+

OK , mistakes were made and hopefully they will learn from them . It is early days and as I very often say......Its not how you start , its how you finish that matters.
AccyMad likes this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:58   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

I have a feeling he will be playing in the Paint Pot game at home to Fleetwood in a couple of weeks anyway.
Old 21-08-2019, 16:23   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I'd agree with all that Alan, except perhaps the term 'soccer' - it's football
AccyMad likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:29   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
https://www.skysports.com/football/a...ewsbury/409936
Just watched the video highlights on sky.
Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!
It's even worse than I remember on the night.
Their first was a blunder par excellence.
Their second from a corner was a free header as the whole defence, standing like statues, simply watched it fly in the net.
The third was schoolboy stuff, with a solitary Maguire left alone to defend our own half.
A quick high ball out of defence, a fortunate bounce for them - and Bobs yer Uncle!
To surrender a 2 goal lead at home is unforgivable at any level.
At League 1 standard, it's suicidal.
It did not make for good viewing Lord S... Unless you happen to be a Shrewsbury supporter that is. !. I can only concur with, and share in your obvious disappointment.
The only way is up !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 17:13   #44

Gosh! I’m stunned by the generally negative tone on here and even criticism of Our maradona (ie, Sam Finley).
Plenty to admire yesterday, in my humble opinion, and cause for optimism... cum on Stanley!!!
AccyMad and yonmon like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 18:09   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Gosh! I’m stunned by the generally negative tone on here and even criticism of Our maradona (ie, Sam Finley).
Plenty to admire yesterday, in my humble opinion, and cause for optimism... cum on Stanley!!!
I would love to agree but 2-0 with 13 minutes to play and finish 2-3 does not inspire
cashman and pifco like this.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..