Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2019, 17:06   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sunderland match thread

Stanleys poor distribution gave Sunderland 2 @ 3 goals fact, overall we didn't play that badly i thought but without sloppy passes woulda been 1-1 for sure, think Hughsey has reached the end of his shelf life to be honest, been a damn good servant no doubt but no pace at all now. also would like to see 1 of our young uns in goal, Etimov is too unsure to me. Sunderlands Equalizer was a cracking goal and cant knock it.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 14-09-2019, 17:17   #17
Full Member+

Got off to an excellent start but poor defending cost us at least a point. Not down hearted though as we played some good stuff at times. Onwards and upwards.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 17:48   #18
God Member

Threw the game away today Sunderland were nothing special plus points Sherif played quite well as did the left back have to agree about Hughes been awful so far at fault big time fot the 3rd, the lad that replaced him looked composed nothing to lose starting them because conceding 3 goals a game is relegation form, also up front looked predictable Dion had an awful game should have at least give Simpson 15 to 20 minutes.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 17:52   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

walked off with a couple of mackems, they were playing hell about there manager, myself i think anyone finishes above them will at least be in playoffs.
Old 14-09-2019, 17:58   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Threw the game away today Sunderland were nothing special plus points Sherif played quite well as did the left back have to agree about Hughes been awful so far at fault big time fot the 3rd, the lad that replaced him looked composed nothing to lose starting them because conceding 3 goals a game is relegation form, also up front looked predictable Dion had an awful game should have at least give Simpson 15 to 20 minutes.
Are you serious!?! Dion ran himself into the ground for 90 mins, constantly won the ball back and battled well with his strength.
Are you on about Simpson who touched the ball about 3 times on Tuesday night??
pifco likes this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 18:40   #21
Senior Member+

One alarming fact for me (if correct)is we have gone around 25 league games without a clean sheet.
Having to score minimum two goals for three points is a tough ask in any division.
Think we will be ok this year,but that area of our game needs addressing.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 18:56   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
How did Stanley play?

Many turn up from Sunderland?
Thought on the whole we played quite well tbh, again individual errors gifted them two of their goals & was relieved, albeit surprised when the individual was subbed.
Sunderland are a very good team, no doubt about it but we gave them a damn good game & thought young Sam stepped up to the captain's role admirably. If that shot had gone in off the bar instead of ricocheting out it could have been a very different outcome.
2159 I think was the attendance from Sunderland fans
cashman, DAV007 and chevyfire like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 19:14   #23

I though Dion was very good. Him and Sam (first half excellent) were the standout players.
Not convinced about Pickford.
Largely agree with Cashy’s Assessment. Played ok, gifted them two goals.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 19:36   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I though Dion was very good. Him and Sam (first half excellent) were the standout players.
Not convinced about Pickford.
Largely agree with Cashy’s Assessment. Played ok, gifted them two goals.
I think you mean Pritchard who played the stand out pass of the game to play Clarke in for the goal but seriously upfront we should have scored more but for poor finishing.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 20:18   #25
God Member

Pritchard played well against MK Dons but struggled at times today, then again he has big shoes to fill.
We've definitely missed Sean Mac & of course we're missing Billy - Dion worked hard this afternoon but was outmuscled a few times, Colby looked out on his feet in the second half, he's doing well but needs time to completely make the step up.
I reckon we'll be ok again this season but we're definitely still a work in progress
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 21:47   #26

Played well today and will beat a lot of sides playing like that but you can't get away with the individual errors we made today against the better sides.
leedsaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 22:33   #27
Senior Member+

Well for what's it worth I actually thought we played pretty well today. Make no mistakes Sunderland will be in the Top 3 or 4 come the end of the season but I actually thought we more than matched them for large period's of the game. As usual Clark was the stand out for me with some wonderful touches and moves with Johnson. Also thought Bishop and Charles ran themselves into the ground but did look very tired after an hour.

As for the negatives I thought our defending was schoolboy stuff at times. Yes their first was a great finish but as for the 2nd and 3rd, absolutely dreadful defensively. Hughes was appaling again and was quite rightly replaced, which was a massive shock for me considering he's one of the "untouchables".

His replacement I thought looked pretty solid, reminded me of a certain Aimine Linganzi! We can only dream.

Onto the next one.

Defense needs sorting = Simple.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 22:36   #28
Senior Member+

Well for my two-penneth, I thought Bishop was poor apart from the shot that cannoned off the bar in the first half. Seems to me like they are trying to mould him into the next Billy Kee! Dion was all over the pitch trying tow in the ball, you can tell he is from a team higher up the pyramid than Bishop. I thought the goalkeeper could not be faulted for the 2nd and 3rd goals, the defence, on the other hand went walkabouts, in fact the 3rd goal, I thought, was marginally offside prior to the shot. Plus points, Opoku (his height bothered the Sunderland players all afternoon) and the other 2 subs brought on early in the 2nd half. My one point here is, why not make 3 changes at the same time?
Red-Osbornello likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 22:42   #29
Senior Member+

Does anyone agree with my, albeit grudgingly, assessment that Sunderland were on the whole better than the Reds this afternoon and just shaved the match although the scoreline does flatter them a little ?.
However, the bright side was the improved performance of our left side defence, and that of the young centre back who replaced Mark Hughes. He in particular looked extremely comfortable and surprisingly mobile .
As for our Goalkeeper, I still feel that he has much to learn before he becomes a competent player. But at this point in time a developing goalie is I feel not what the Reds need to reduce the number of goals which are being conceded. My mind went back to this time last season and Conor Ripley's safe hands !..and my sigh could have been heard on the Coppice End I reckon !.

But as the season is in its infancy we must Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment. and look for better things !

ON STANLEY!.. ON TO EVEN GREATER THINGS! !!.
smudgie likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 22:43   #30
Senior Member+

Have to agree Yonmon.

Hughes replacement looked very composed indeed.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..