Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2019, 23:41   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Sunderland match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
....... we must Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment..
Gosh! Wish I'd thought of that phrase. Makes "Greasy Pole of Oblivion" sound very ordinary
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2019, 07:23   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Well for what's it worth I actually thought we played pretty well today. Make no mistakes Sunderland will be in the Top 3 or 4 come the end of the season but I actually thought we more than matched them for large period's of the game. As usual Clark was the stand out for me with some wonderful touches and moves with Johnson. Also thought Bishop and Charles ran themselves into the ground but did look very tired after an hour.

As for the negatives I thought our defending was schoolboy stuff at times. Yes their first was a great finish but as for the 2nd and 3rd, absolutely dreadful defensively. Hughes was appaling again and was quite rightly replaced, which was a massive shock for me considering he's one of the "untouchables".

His replacement I thought looked pretty solid, reminded me of a certain Aimine Linganzi! We can only dream.

Onto the next one.

Defense needs sorting = Simple.
Tuesday will soon be upon us onto Wycombe Coleman as he said in his post match interview has some big decisions to make admits that defensively all over the place, Mcconville and Conneely both available again plus Angol could be fit what will is starting 11 be because a good result Tuesday could change our fortunes.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 08:31   #33

I wasn’t expecting anything from the game, Sunderland have too much for nearly all the teams in this division never mind us who are still to find it’s best 11. For me that’s the issue, I walked away with little idea as to our 11 for Tuesday. I doubt I could name 7 definite starters if selection was based on merit.
monkey hanger likes this.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 08:48   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Gosh! Wish I'd thought of that phrase. Makes "Greasy Pole of Oblivion" sound very ordinary
I must confess Div3N.. It wasn't original !. The line, which has been stuck in one of the darker recesses of my brain ( what's left of it anyway !) , has nestled there since I read many years ago one of Martin Luther King's essays on racial freedom and equality .

My educated guess is.... Little did that man guess at the time, that his words of wisdom would ever be applied to the struggles of a League 1 Football team !.

However, like yourself I am always hopeful where the Reds are concerned , and do you know what ?, they have usually fulfilled my hopes over the many, many years I have been supporting them as they ascend and descend ' the greasy pole of oblivion '

Someone once said that hope is also ' the mother of invention '.. so my next one is that JC will have invented something special for Tuesday night !.

ON STANLEY ON !.. TO GREATER THINGS !.
DaveinGermany likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:10   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post

Someone once said that hope is also ' the mother of invention '..
Might be Grandma ....

Necessity is on invention's birth certificate, I always understood

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:40   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Tuesday will soon be upon us onto Wycombe Coleman as he said in his post match interview has some big decisions to make admits that defensively all over the place, Mcconville and Conneely both available again plus Angol could be fit what will is starting 11 be because a good result Tuesday could change our fortunes.

Oh no need to worry, Golden boy will be straight back into the XI
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:49   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Might be Grandma ....

Necessity is on invention's birth certificate, I always understood

Touche !.. ( Erudition rules OK !! )

nb to self... back to things 'Stanley ' !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 16:09   #38
God Member

Smile Re: Sunderland match thread

I thought we played OK overall.

First half was even - despite the scoreline - apart from our X2 errors and their clinical finishing!

Bishop and Charles get better every match and are full of running

Pritchard is starting to find his feet and played a lovely pass for the first goal - well finished by Jordan - but, did play the wrong ball more than once, experience, or lack of it I suppose

Sam seemed to relish the armband and played very well, seemed to cover most of the pitch - was a fault for a goal though I thought.....

As most have said, defence is very shaky as a unit and is not helped by being changed - it seems - every week??

The game we played yesterday, would have got us a positive result most games - Sunderland are a good team - with very good players.

Roll on Tuesday and a similar performance, but with a different outcome

AccyMad, cashman and yonmon like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/

Last edited by VALAIRIAN; 15-09-2019 at 16:12.
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 16:58   #39
Senior Member+

................... Also forgot to mention, was great to see more Bury fans on the Clayton End yesterday. I can only imagine what they have been through the last couple of months.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 07:58   #40
God Member

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1231855]I thought we played OK overall.

First half was even - despite the scoreline - apart from our X2 errors and their clinical finishing!

errors cost games especially with some of the players they have got. no point playing well if you are going to concede like we did. bishop and charles might be full of running but would they have scored with the chances sunderland had.hard for anyone to move up 3 divisions and be really succesfull in a team that are struggling. could be a long season ahead.
Red-Osbornello and andyd like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:33   #41
God Member

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1231873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
I thought we played OK overall.

errors cost games especially with some of the players they have got. no point playing well if you are going to concede like we did. bishop and charles might be full of running but would they have scored with the chances sunderland had.hard for anyone to move up 3 divisions and be really succesfull in a team that are struggling. could be a long season ahead.
Agree we are struggling a lot of new faces maybe we need to change not only personally but adjust slightly we play with a cavalier attitude going forward nice on the eye but we aren't converting chances, just ease back on the throttle a bit take care in possession the easy ball is better than a punt upfield, defending starts from the front and its going to take time but hopefully sooner the penny drops the easier the season will become.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:31   #42

[QUOTE=andyd;1231876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

... take care in possession the easy ball is better than a punt upfield,

Conneely gets slated for this ...
AccyMad and Red-Osbornello like this.
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:36   #43

[QUOTE=andyd;1231876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
defending starts from the front and its going to take time but hopefully sooner the penny drops the easier the season will become.
This is a plan adopted by every visiting team & Sunderland exploited it perfectly on Saturday.
Their forwards pressed right up to our penalty box at every opportunity, putting our defence under real pressure trying to play out, leading to panic balls.
We on the other hand, rarely ventured into their half whenever they regained possession, allowing them the freedom to build attacks.
The old adage - 'The best form of defence is attack' was never more appropriate.
It's a lesson we need to learn from..... and quickly.
cashman likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 09:54   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Oh no need to worry, Golden boy will be straight back into the XI
Good!
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:01   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Spartacus2nd;1231882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post

Conneely gets slated for this ...
no he gets slated for constantly passing back, but still if the truth wont fit.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..