Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree357Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2020, 09:23   #106
God Member

Smile Re: Coronovirus

For many seasons now, football in Germany has been doing the right thing

All the stuff they do with season tickets and gate prices is to be applauded

So, I suppose it is not a surprise at all to read this...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052650

Football everywhere - and to be honest, people/businesses everywhere - would do well to reflect on this......

STAY SAFE PEOPLE

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2020, 14:27   #107
God Member

Re: Coronovirus

Meanwhile, back in the ‘home’ of football, the FA lives up to its acronym by not even communicating with clubs before rushing to a decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52064082

But I guess it doesn’t matter, they’re more bloater paste than prawn sandwich clubs.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 15:11   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Meanwhile, back in the ‘home’ of football, the FA lives up to its acronym by not even communicating with clubs before rushing to a decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52064082

But I guess it doesn’t matter, they’re more bloater paste than prawn sandwich clubs.
It has sadly even in these unpredictable and awful times comes down to money Premier League want to finish season not so Liverpool win the title and in fairness to who will be promoted from the championship, no they are worried they will lose all the TV money well welcome to the real world. It's coming home and biting the greed in the behind £500,000 a week wages might just be on the way out but don't hold your breath they don't care about the lower leagues that's why they made their decision to null and void the lower leagues season's but oh no we still want our money typically disgraceful.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 07:59   #109
God Member

Bristol Rovers post £24,000,000 losses in response to this there has been an interesting debate on twitter with Andy Holt for those of you who don't access it here is just one question and Andy Holt,s answer:-
Hi Andy would you be in keen on finishing the season now no promotion/relegation or playing it out when safer?
Andy Holt,s answer:- I think we have to play it out.This may not be practical though. Depends on how bad things get. If this disaster lasts a year (extreme I know) many clubs will not be able to fund it through. I don't exclude ASFC either here. Unless there's no alternative play it out.
Old 29-03-2020, 00:39   #110
Full Member+

Footy has to take a back seat with this stuff we can't control going on ,and so far the EFL has probably got it right. As fans, though, it feels like we're
in a canoe without a paddle. I have this grating feeling at the back of my head if we don't finish this season in a way that makes the clubs and more especially the fans
of those clubs respect that solution, that the league will suffer. It's about integrity in the end.
For instance, let's imagine if the league was declared void now. Bolton survive and in the summer break make some random signings that take them to top of League 1 next season (I know, in spite of a 12 point deduction, presumably). Meanwhile we begin to struggle at t'other end of the table (it's only a what if / maybe). If we or any other L1 club were then relegated, the resentment we would feel would be against the league admin rather than at Bolton (who would basically have followed legitimate rules). It would be a massive turn off for fans and, as we know, every fan at ASFC is a fan to behold.
The season has to finish in a legitimate way but atm I'm as clueless as everyone as to how that can be done. The key factor is time. If this epidemic goes on longer than we all hope then that could change everything.

Last edited by Reamer; 29-03-2020 at 00:45.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 09:42   #111
Senior Member+

The season can finish. The problem is the impact on next season. 2020/2021 play every opponent once on a neutral ground with every ground utliised ?
2021/2022 back to normal.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:32   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
The season can finish. The problem is the impact on next season. 2020/2021 play every opponent once on a neutral ground with every ground utliised ?
2021/2022 back to normal.
But any way the authorities decide to go regarding this season depends on length of lockdown in sport and how many clubs that hopefully none but can't see it go to the wall.
Old 29-03-2020, 10:33   #113
God Member

There are only 9-10 games left to finish this season.
Why not play them, two a week, from (say) August or September. That would push back the start of next season by 5/6 weeks.
Then, for next season, cancel all the pre-season games, ‘peripheral’ cups and trophies, and start 20/21 season in (say) October.
There would then be 42 weeks from October 2020 to early May 2021 to get every in League match.
Don’t cancel the FA Cup, but play it mid week, including replays.
Reamer and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 11:23   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
There are only 9-10 games left to finish this season.
Why not play them, two a week, from (say) August or September. That would push back the start of next season by 5/6 weeks.
Then, for next season, cancel all the pre-season games, ‘peripheral’ cups and trophies, and start 20/21 season in (say) October.
There would then be 42 weeks from October 2020 to early May 2021 to get every in League match.
Don’t cancel the FA Cup, but play it mid week, including replays.
Good suggestion but yet again will August be safe hopefully yes but will all clubs have survived?
Old 29-03-2020, 12:40   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Good suggestion but yet again will August be safe hopefully yes but will all clubs have survived?
all we can do is take things as they come, no use speculating about stuff in my view.
Old 30-03-2020, 09:37   #116
God Member

Premier League bosses toying with the idea of finishing thier season in special isolated areas and players staff officials in hotels playing all games in June/July and being available on TV to raise moral of the country. Selfish attitude again no caring about the EFL won't happen government saying this morning measures could be in place for 6 months, I worry about the vunerable clubs and also our Stanley.
Old 30-03-2020, 10:06   #117
God Member

[QUOTE=andyd;1, I worry about the vunerable clubs and also our Stanley.[/QUOTE]

if clubs get through this inactive period ok i do think they could be in for a bit of a boom period with gates much higher than before the stoppage and that includes stanley.
AccyMad, cashman, pifco and 1 others like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:28   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

quite possible is that mate.
Old 30-03-2020, 13:19   #119
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
By the way Germany,s big clubs offering big money to help lower leagues their can,t see that happening here unfortunately.

Aye that's right & a lot of the players are also taking pay cuts to support the ground staff & employees.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.co...evenue-dfl-dfb

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-ho...ght/a-52915762
cashman likes this.
Old 30-03-2020, 15:52   #120
God Member

Smile Re: Coronovirus

Another really great gesture......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092809

cashman likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..