Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree340Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2020, 15:28   #526

Re: Next season??

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1243050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This is not cutting cloth according, it is setting an arbitrary amount for all clubs, even ones who can afford a lot more.

Cost of living doesn't look like it will be taken into account, for example an average house in Oxford costs around 5 x more than Accrington, and in Merton 6 times more.

It is a restrictive practice which will drive more clubs into semi-professionalism in the medium to long term, and drive players away from football.

it will end up for some clubs going back to the dark days of the late 70,s early 80,s with a minimum squad just to keep em going. patched up players trying to give their best. cost of living does not finish with housing either. an oxford player will fork out quite a lot more in everything in their life than a stanley one does. kts of fans will be loving the idea of this budget cap with the oft heard phrase of all players being paid too much. clubs will soon be given a choice of either a small squad or a similar size one but on low wages. all this on top of the virus. not a good time to be a lower league pro me thinks.
And so it should be

Whats the point in paying a player 2500 a week when there are thousands of lads out there who would be happy to do it for 500
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2020, 15:46   #527

I.m all for rewarding the truley talented players but dont see why the journeymen should earn anywhere near what the currently do.I think theyve missed a trick by not excluding the highest paid player tho like they do in Rugby League.
Old 09-08-2020, 15:56   #528

I.m all for rewarding the truley talented players but dont see why the journeymen should earn anywhere near what the currently do.I think theyve missed a trick by not excluding the highest paid player tho like they do in Rugby League.
Old 09-08-2020, 19:10   #529
Full Member+

[QUOTE=NORTHERNSOUL;1243084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

And so it should be

Whats the point in paying a player 2500 a week when there are thousands of lads out there who would be happy to do it for 500
As no one with any proven talent will play for £500 pw as their main job, we are talking going back to semi pro wages and they need another career to rely on.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:10   #530
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL View Post
[

the point is that unless the 500 pound lads are as good as the 2500 pound one then its a recipe for relegation with big financial implications for clubs if the relegation is back into non league. the ability of a player should come before how little they will play for as long as the club can afford it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:16   #531
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

As no one with any proven talent will play for £500 pw as their main job, we are talking going back to semi pro wages and they need another career to rely on.
agree. anyone who prefers to watch games with clubs like that can easily find one a few miles from where they live. football at league level is a profesional game and long may it stay that way. decent wages for decent players who are entertainers after all.
Old 10-08-2020, 16:50   #532

Quote:
agree. anyone who prefers to watch games with clubs like that can easily find one a few miles from where they live. football at league level is a profesional game and long may it stay that way. decent wages for decent players who are entertainers after all.
So you really think that paying the wages they do now is sustainable ?

Coz i can tell you that it isnt and if you think that clubs are over the worse think again dont forget clubs have had two lots of money advanced already so thats two payments they would normally get during this season that wont be coming their way. Some clubs like Tranmere put season tickets on sale very early and have used that money to get by. Then throw into the mix that the PL rescue package isnt going to be anything like the size the clubs were hoping for, the unfurloughing of all staff increasing wage costs considerably, games to be played behind closed doors, a drastic reduction in sponsorhip money that the clubs can expect to attract and you have the perfect storm a recipe for total disaster unless they cut their costs.

And wether you like it or not the only cost most clubs have left to cut is the wages of the playing staff.The cap will go some way to helping them to save themselves from themselves but really its only a sticking plaster as there appear to be any number of holes you could drive through it not least your striker getting a part time job as the marketing and promotions manager for the owners other company.

And in addition 4k a week players need to realise that the security of employment of a 3 year contract on 2k a week provides a damm site more security for him and his family than managing to get 3.5k on a one year contact and then having to go thru it all again at the end of the next two seasons with the risk that an injury or loss of form throws into the equation.

As i.ve said already i.m all for rewarding talent but people have to realise that the only way to do that is to reduce the wages cost of the average journeyman player.
andyd likes this.
Old 10-08-2020, 19:39   #533
God Member

Quote:

Coz i can tell you that it isnt and if you think that clubs are over the worse think again dont forget clubs have had two lots of money advanced already so thats two payments they would normally get during this season that wont be coming their way. Some clubs like Tranmere put season tickets on sale very early and have used that money to get by. Then throw into the mix that the PL rescue package isnt going to be anything like the size the clubs were hoping for, the unfurloughing of all staff increasing wage costs considerably, games to be played behind closed doors, a drastic reduction in sponsorhip money that the clubs can expect to attract and you have the perfect storm a recipe for total disaster unless they cut their costs.

And wether you like it or not the only cost most clubs have left to cut is the wages of the playing staff.The cap will go some way to helping them to save themselves from themselves but really its only a sticking plaster as there appear to be any number of holes you could drive through it not least your striker getting a part time job as the marketing and promotions manager for the owners other company.

And in addition 4k a week players need to realise that the security of employment of a 3 year contract on 2k a week provides a damm site more security for him and his family than managing to get 3.5k on a one year contact and then having to go thru it all again at the end of the next two seasons with the risk that an injury or loss of form throws into the equation.

As i.ve said already i.m all for rewarding talent but people have to realise that the only way to do that is to reduce the wages cost of the average journeyman player.
Good post it's a step in the right direction wether it will be enough only time will tell but I don't think football will sadly be the same as before has a enjoyable day with the mates for a while.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:43   #534
God Member

Quote:

just looking at league 1 and 2 which is basically what i am interested in. if the virus had not popped up i doubt we would be talking about the situation anyway. the wages paid to a player is only what a club is prepared to pay anyway. its a vicious circle for any club. sign decent players for what fans crave for nowadays, success. if this does not happen then gates at all clubs slip down by quite a high percentage.imagine a club like sunderland could have up to 10,000 variation depending how the team is doing. even at stanley it could be 500 and at 20 pound per person thats 10,000 per match less VAT the club has not got. then there is the much maligned so called journeyman player. these players deserve a fair crack of the whip as most teams squads have many of these players which keep clubs going. think bad management and panic player buying can be blamed for clubs getting into the financial mire rather than the actual wages being paid.
cashman likes this.
Old 11-08-2020, 17:08   #535
Full Member+

Many clubs across League 1 & 2 already playing friendlies.
Wonder when our first will be...
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 17:11   #536
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Many clubs across League 1 & 2 already playing friendlies.
Wonder when our first will be...
We haven't got to contact in training yet so could be another week or so.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 00:09   #537

Quote:
just looking at league 1 and 2 which is basically what i am interested in. if the virus had not popped up i doubt we would be talking about the situation anyway. the wages paid to a player is only what a club is prepared to pay anyway. its a vicious circle for any club. sign decent players for what fans crave for nowadays, success. if this does not happen then gates at all clubs slip down by quite a high percentage.imagine a club like sunderland could have up to 10,000 variation depending how the team is doing. even at stanley it could be 500 and at 20 pound per person thats 10,000 per match less VAT the club has not got. then there is the much maligned so called journeyman player. these players deserve a fair crack of the whip as most teams squads have many of these players which keep clubs going. think bad management and panic player buying can be blamed for clubs getting into the financial mire rather than the actual wages being paid.
As you brought them up did you not watch "Till i die" where they were handing out 30k contracts like confetti and where did that get them ?

But i dont follow when you bring up what you think will be a diferential in quality surely if all clubs are forced to adopt the same protocols although the overall quality might drop [ i dont think it would by that much and personally i would be happy to see a small drop in quality if that was outweighed by a get stuck in team spirit ].

If i was the owner of Sunderland i.d pay nobody more than 10k and you dont tell me that flair players [ lets take Nicky Adams as an example] wouldnt walk there to play for them and earn that.

Basically its an expanded version of what goes on at Accy in if you want to earn a fortune theyre not the club for you but if you want a club with a respected owner and management team who you know wont shaft you and who will improve your game and when the time comes you.ll know that so long as they dont get turned over they will be fair with you when that bigger club comes knocking.

So yes theres a lot of clubs who could learn a lot from looking at little Accy.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:35   #538
God Member

Quote:

So yes theres a lot of clubs who could learn a lot from looking at little Accy.
thats perfectly true. could stanley actually become the new norm in the post virus football world. however a lot of fans at many clubs need to adjust their views of watching the game. some clubs like sunderland seem to think they have a god given right to have a life at the top. no one likes watching a bad defeat especially at home but no club have ever gone through any season with a hundred per cent record. take the defeat but enjoy the win even more.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:12   #539
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Meanwhile, best wishes to Bury AFC who have been accepted into the North West Counties Football League and will play their home games at Radcliffe FC's Stainton Park.

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/185...d-next-season/
https://buryafc.uk/news/

Some of their league opponents will be well-known to Stanley fans.
Meanwhile, Bury FC, still owned by Steve Dale, have had their application to join the National League rejected for 2020/21:
https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/186...yramid-turned/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696143

Last edited by MikeA; 12-08-2020 at 11:16.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 07:47   #540
God Member

about time the old bury just do not just pack up and their fans can concentrate on the bury pheonix. the old club has just become a distraction for fans that want to move on.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..