Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree215Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2020, 14:51   #1
God Member

Question 2020/21 Squad

So, 12th September - at the moment - sees the start of Stanley's 15th season in the Football League

As with every season, players go and players come.

These are the men charged with keeping us on the edge of our seats and in League 1

Toby Savin.

Mark Hughes, Joe Maguire, Harvey Rodgers, Ross Sykes, Callum Johnson, Reagan Ogle, Cameron Burgess.

Zehn Mohammed, Lamine Sherif, Joe Pritchard, Sam Finley, Seamus Conneely, Sean McConville, Ben Barclay, Harry Perritt.

Colby Bishop, Dion Charles. Niall Watson????
Please tell me if I have missed anybody

17 - possibly 18 - players on the books at the moment and whilst we have a team - nothing against young Savin - we need a keeper minimum.

So, what do we need??
Who plays?
Coley has stated "The Reds had the biggest squad they have ever had last season and Coleman says next season will be different.

“We will be working with a much smaller squad,” said the Stanley boss.
" Does anybody think so??
Coley has also stated he is looking at 2, or 3 more signings (GK/CM/CF) ???

Let the discussions begin

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/

Last edited by VALAIRIAN; 04-08-2020 at 14:53.
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2020, 16:14   #2
God Member

Re: 2020/21 Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
So, 12th September - at the moment - sees the start of Stanley's 15th season in the Football League

As with every season, players go and players come.

These are the men charged with keeping us on the edge of our seats and in League 1

Toby Savin.

Mark Hughes, Joe Maguire, Harvey Rodgers, Ross Sykes, Callum Johnson, Reagan Ogle, Cameron Burgess.

Zehn Mohammed, Lamine Sherif, Joe Pritchard, Sam Finley, Seamus Conneely, Sean McConville, Ben Barclay, Harry Perritt.

Colby Bishop, Dion Charles. Niall Watson????
Please tell me if I have missed anybody

17 - possibly 18 - players on the books at the moment and whilst we have a team - nothing against young Savin - we need a keeper minimum.

So, what do we need??
Who plays?
Coley has stated "The Reds had the biggest squad they have ever had last season and Coleman says next season will be different.

“We will be working with a much smaller squad,” said the Stanley boss.
" Does anybody think so??
Coley has also stated he is looking at 2, or 3 more signings (GK/CM/CF) ???

Let the discussions begin

Well the budget has been reduced apparently but last season it was paid out among 38 players I believe, cut this down to 22ish and you can pay more as I don't think Burgess will be on peanuts could attract better more experienced personal because we are on average a youngish squad, plus if we are maybe going to be using the sports hub as training on a regular basis hopefully on grass this to helps to attract players.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 16:41   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as long as the season starts that will do for me at this juncture.
pifco and Watchdog like this.
Old 04-08-2020, 16:59   #4
God Member

Smile Re: 2020/21 Squad

Well, I go for:-

New Keeper.
Callum, Ross/Cameron/Yozzer, Maguire.
Pritchard, Seamus, Ben, Macca.
Colby, Dion.

Sam is out for an amount of games and to be honest, I like BB

Cameron to cover/push the CB's.

Even if Watson has signed, we will need somebody up front.

monkey hanger likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:53   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Well the budget has been reduced apparently but last season it was paid out among 38 players I believe, cut this down to 22ish and you can pay more as I don't think Burgess will be on peanuts could attract better more experienced personal because we are on average a youngish squad, plus if we are maybe going to be using the sports hub as training on a regular basis hopefully on grass this to helps to attract players.
Cant see the salary structure being broken. Bringing players in on more than the existing squad will cause unrest.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:13   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Cant see the salary structure being broken. Bringing players in on more than the existing squad will cause unrest.
that must cause unrest at most pro clubs in the country then. a striker with a good pedigree will cost in wages far more than a full back would with similar experiance. think players realize and expect this to happen.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:19   #7
God Member

Quote:
There has always been some on more money than others Billy Kee was one of the top earners I believe at the start of any season I should imagine when the budget is set they will work out the numbers less squad to me means more money per player that then signs, could upset some who have already signed but that's football at any level down to good management to keep players happy, agents might do a bit of stirring saying you can get more etc:-etc.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 05-08-2020, 19:28   #8
Full Member+

Keeper, winger, creative midfielder, striker x2

Barclay and LKS both defensive midfielders.
As is Conneely.
Need someone who can run box to box.

Permanent keeper to challenge Savin and give us option to develop and sell for ££

Reckon we would struggle with 3 strikers like last season.Surprised Andy Scott left, thought he was under contract until 2021 and he could have been the 4th option.

wouldn’t be surprised if Coley had in mind to push Harry Perritt further forward, played as a wing back a lot in U18’s/23’s in a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 formation.
similarly to Regan Ogle and have them as 4th winger option if and when required.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 22:31   #9
God Member

i think Coley is alluding to that with a 3-5-2 formation

Ogle or Maguire, Perritt or Johnson galloping away down t'wings

Conneely and Barclay or The Sherriff holding

McConville or Pritchard or Sam pulling the strings
Old 06-08-2020, 08:14   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Keeper, winger, creative midfielder, striker x2

Barclay and LKS both defensive midfielders.
As is Conneely.
Need someone who can run box to box.

Permanent keeper to challenge Savin and give us option to develop and sell for ££

Reckon we would struggle with 3 strikers like last season.Surprised Andy Scott left, thought he was under contract until 2021 and he could have been the 4th option.

wouldn’t be surprised if Coley had in mind to push Harry Perritt further forward, played as a wing back a lot in U18’s/23’s in a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 formation.
similarly to Regan Ogle and have them as 4th winger option if and when required.
Just a point about strikers Josh if we sign anyone as I hope we do barring injuries they need to be good enough to be pushing Charles and Bishop or even being first choice, last season if you're counting youngsters such as Scott including 2 out on loan we had 9 strikers in the squad and often struggling to name one on the bench that shouldn't be happening.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:23   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
There has always been some on more money than others Billy Kee was one of the top earners I believe at the start of any season I should imagine when the budget is set they will work out the numbers less squad to me means more money per player that then signs, could upset some who have already signed but that's football at any level down to good management to keep players happy, agents might do a bit of stirring saying you can get more etc:-etc.
The differential at the top end at Accy I would imagine is minuscule.
The ethos of the Manager I just cannot see allowing a player to come in (with no guarantee it will work out) and earn significantly more than the hardcore nucleus of players won't happen.
Agents do not need to do any stirring.
It's a fact that our salaries are one of if not the lowest.
Beating the salary if someone wants one of ours is the easy bit.
Fantastic that we can now play hard ball and say "if you want him that's the fee".
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
The differential at the top end at Accy I would imagine is minuscule.
The ethos of the Manager I just cannot see allowing a player to come in (with no guarantee it will work out) and earn significantly more than the hardcore nucleus of players won't happen.
Agents do not need to do any stirring.
It's a fact that our salaries are one of if not the lowest.
Beating the salary if someone wants one of ours is the easy bit.
Fantastic that we can now play hard ball and say "if you want him that's the fee".
I don't know what wages Burgess has been offered but if Stanley have managed to sign a player on a 3 year deal on a comparable wage to the rest of the top end earners then well done because the lad will have taken a significant drop in income.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:18   #13
God Member

Quote:
I don't know what wages Burgess has been offered but if Stanley have managed to sign a player on a 3 year deal on a comparable wage to the rest of the top end earners then well done because the lad will have taken a significant drop in income.
in the present climate it could be the 3 year deal that swung it in his signing. gives him a bit of stability unlike a one year only deal with more money.
cashman likes this.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:21   #14
God Member

Thumbs down Re: 2020/21 Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
in the present climate it could be the 3 year deal that swung it in his signing. gives him a bit of stability unlike a one year only deal with more money.
Well time will tell when we are able to access what he is on if he has dropped salary by what we could be thinking good on the lad but personally think Stanley have raised the bar on this one could well be proven wrong time will tell.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:34   #15
God Member

Quote:
Well time will tell when we are able to access what he is on if he has dropped salary by what we could be thinking good on the lad but personally think Stanley have raised the bar on this one could well be proven wrong time will tell.
size of the squad cut so more money can go on the players signed or that are left. at least stanley have gone from the one year contracts they always seemed to offer, if good or bad you knew there was a big chance of only seeing em for that season.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..