Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34   #16
God Member

Re: A Football Special Mystery

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1244295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
There was a question on The Chase a couple of days ago asking what form of transport was Gresley known for a) trains b) aeroplanes c) cars

did they answer the question correctly or was the answer that it was before i was born.
The latter i'm afraid, it was a young girl & she took a stab at aeroplanes cos she knew it wasn't cars so it was a guess between the other two
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2020, 08:51   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1244299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

The latter i'm afraid, it was a young girl & she took a stab at aeroplanes cos she knew it wasn't cars so it was a guess between the other two
thats the usual excuse for being numb (before i was born)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:15   #18
God Member

[QUOTE=cashman;1244300]
Quote:
thats the usual excuse for being numb (before i was born)
mind you they know a hell of a lot more about modern cinema, music and celebrity than i do. i do not know which sex some of em are never mind who they are. my stock answer for pop music is adele and sometimes i am correct..
LongLostSon and DaveinGermany like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:18   #19

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1244299]
Quote:
What a sad indictment of the education system when young people don't know a Gresley from a Grapefruit.
Mind you! Standards have never been the same since they scrapped 'Train Spotting' from the school curriculum in 1963.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:36   #20
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;1244304]
Quote:
What a sad indictment of the education system when young people don't know a Gresley from a Grapefruit.
Mind you! Standards have never been the same since they scrapped 'Train Spotting' from the school curriculum in 1963.
actually the opposite should be the case. information is far easier to obtain now than ever it was. the younger generation should have far more a wider knowledge than we ever had. they do not need to ask or trail to the library to find what any stuff is. knowledge is only a click away.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:39   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1244305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post

actually the opposite should be the case. information is far easier to obtain now than ever it was. the younger generation should have far more a wider knowledge than we ever had. they do not need to ask or trail to the library to find what any stuff is. knowledge is only a click away.
true but that takes thinking about and many are unable.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:02   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Dearest Lord Stiff. Knowing a Gresley from a Grapefruit is surely nothing to do with the education system. Knowing that difference has never been on the schools curriculum, even in the nineteen twenties and thirties when both were regarded as wonderfully exotic items! That kind of knowledge is down to parents who are ultimately responsible for educating their children. IMHO Teachers ‘help’ parents to educate their children by working on specific subjects and skills in greater depth, which parents might not be able to manage. Parents could take their children to Museums and Heritage Centres such as The East Lancs Railway, National Railway Museum, Science Museum, Castles, Kew Gardens, the countryside, etc. as part of their responsibilities having had children.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:04   #23
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1244305]
Quote:

Surely, knowledge is only one part of education?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13   #24
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1244295]
Quote:
There was a question on The Chase a couple of days ago asking what form of transport was Gresley known for a) trains b) aeroplanes c) cars

did they answer the question correctly or was the answer that it was before i was born.
I am pleasantly surprised that the question above was actually written correctly! I have always referred to an “Aeroplane” as taught by my parents and as spelt in the question. I do get frustrated by the use of “Plane”, even on the BBC News, to describe a heavier than air flying machine. My parents taught me the difference: A “Plane” is either a genus of tree or a tool used in joinery to shave a piece of wood down to size!

Last edited by choirboy; 08-09-2020 at 11:16.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:13   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
knowledge is only a click away.
Going by what we see on here, I would say "opinion is only a click away" would be closer to the truth ......

That's my opinion, anyway
Old 08-09-2020, 12:34   #26

[QUOTE=choirboy;1244307]
Quote:
Knowing a Gresley from a Grapefruit is surely nothing to do with the education system. Knowing that difference has never been on the schools curriculum
Nor was 'Train Spotting' on the curriculum!
Doh! Seems my earlier post was taken 'literally' by some.
It was my feeble attempt at satire.
Satire: the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticise people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues
Old 08-09-2020, 13:50   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Your Worshipfullness...... I didn’t say that ‘Train Spotting’ was on the school curriculum....You did! I was commenting on your first sentence regarding the education system. Satire is great but there was no need to begin with a seemingly negative comment on our education system. You could have started more carefully.......perhaps....”What a sad state of affairs when young people..etc”. That’s all.... please don’t get those red velvet underpants of yours in a twist!
Old 08-09-2020, 16:27   #28
God Member

[QUOTE=choirboy;1244318]
Quote:

Your Worshipfullness...... I didn’t say that ‘Train Spotting’ was on the school curriculum....You did! I was commenting on your first sentence regarding the education system. Satire is great but there was no need to begin with a seemingly negative comment on our education system. You could have started more carefully.......perhaps....”What a sad state of affairs when young people..etc”. That’s all.... please don’t get those red velvet underpants of yours in a twist!
You retired teachers are all the same!!!!

Hope you and yours are well my friend, hope to see you soon

choirboy likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:30   #29

[QUOTE=choirboy;1244318]
Quote:

My dear Choirboy.....at my age I tend to wear brown velvet underpants.... for obvious reasons.
Once again, the entirety of my earlier post was meant to be satirical.
Do you really believe my claim that modern education is failing to teach children about Gresley, or indeed grapefruit, was intended as a serious criticism
It was meant to be a joke!........ at my own expense.
cashman and choirboy like this.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:03   #30
God Member

Great story Mr Stiffy. Loved it.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..