Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2020, 00:53   #1
Senior Member+

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 12 v Northampton Town (away)

Northampton Town

V

Accrington Stanley

2020/21 Prediction League; Game 12 v Les Cordonniers (away)

And no, ‘Cordonniers’ isn’t rude – I told you, no smut here thank you; it’s French for “shoemakers” ........... the “other” meaning of “cobblers”, which no doubt you’re thinking of, would translate into “torte aux peches” – but that’s a Peach Cobbler, what you have with custard – or, colloquially, into “Couilles” or “Conneries” ...... which is a load of bollox, really ........

The piece about Bobby Charlton getting booked against Argentina in the 66 World Cup (Football Pink issue 2 – but I don’t think anyone read it except Cashie and DaveIG) starting me thinking about England’s Cup-Winning squad ....... 22 players, 15 of whom played in one or more games ......... everyone in the world (even my wife knows three of them) can name the team that played in the Final (only four of whom are, sadly, still with us), and of the other seven (who didn’t get a game), two were GKs (Ron Springett from the Owls and Chelsea’s “Cat” – Peter Bonetti ........... But – this week’s Starter for Ten – who were the other five squad members, who didn’t get to kick a ball in anger in July 66? Or, more importantly, in Wembley?

And knock me down with a feather (pretty please!), Swindon Town - having let Richie Wellens go and manage 92 Neville’s United (what a horrible prospect!) - are now looking to persuade John “Yes I’m the wanderer” Sheridan to leave Wigan and move to North East Wiltshire, at its boundaries with Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, to take over the reins at the Robins ........... and they won’t have a problem, ‘cos he wants to go, the Administrators at Wigan can’t offer him their job, and his rolling monthly contract ends this week ............ and they’ll be the FOURTH side he’s managed in 2020 (bit greedy, that) if he joins (Chesterfield, Waterford, Wigan and Swinedon) ..... mind you, if you count player/caretaker roles, he’s managed Oldham five times and Chesterfield twice, plus Plymouth, Newport, Notts County, Fleetwood, and Carlisle, as well as the afore-mentioned ....... and his playing career (which lasted several decades – ok, 1981 – 2004) - featured 230 games for Leeds, 199 for the Owls, 33 at Bolton, 7 at Donnie and 144 for Oldham, scoring 89 in his 621 games (couple of loans)........ but he didn’t play during his time at Man City, or – apart from one League Cup game – during his very short stay at Notts Forest, who he joined for £650k on 3rd August 1989, only to leave for the Owls on 3rd November the same year ............... and with all that experience, you have to ask yourself one thing .............. why is he such a cr*p manager? And by the way, in 1994, in his Republic of Ireland international career, he scored their 100th-ever goal at Lansdowne Road ............. but – Second Starter for Ten – against whom?

The earliest written reference to Northampton was apparently 914 (or quarter past nine if you prefer), calling the place “Ham tune”, literally meaning "home town". The prefix "North" was added later, to distinguish it from other towns called Hampton, most prominently Southampton (but presumably also East and West Hampton. The Domesday Book (1086) records the town as Northantone, which evolved into Norhamptone by the 13th century, and later into Northampton.... and they have a Castle - thought to have been built by Simon de Senlis, who became the first Earl of Northampton, around 1084; it was originally an earth and timber stockade construction (so easy to do a Shawshank Redemption from, you’d think) which was later rebuilt in stone; it became an occasional royal residence during the reign of King Henry I

“Willie, Willie, Harry, Ste,
Harry, Dick, John, Harry 3”
One two three Neds, Richard two,
Harrys four five six, then who?”

... in 1130, until King Richard II and King John regularly stayed at the castle, and moved The Treasury there in 1205. It’s the place where Thomas a Becket was tried in 1164 (“Will no one rid me of this accursed Priest?”), and the venue for the declaration of peace with Scotland in the Treaty of Edinburgh–Northampton .... It wasn’t always a Good Place to Live; in the 13th century, there was a large Jewish population centred on Gold Street, and in 1277 — two years after Edward I passed the Statute of the Jewry — some Jewish residents were executed, while the remainder were driven out of town; in 1349 the Black Death pandemic (see, they had them then, too) killed more than half the population, and between March and September 1638, 533 people—a seventh of the population—died of the Plague ..... Northampton supported the Parliamentary Roundheads in the English Civil War, and Charles II (who wasn't very pleased) pretty much burned the place down, including the destruction of the town walls and most of the castle.

Has Northampton got a Prison, I hear you ask? (Oh yes I do!) ...... sadly, no, although it did have until 1879, and it’s still in the middle of quite a few in the surrounding areas ......... The National Lift Tower (127.45 m (418 ft 2 in) tall) is a dominant feature of the Town Skyline, and a Terry Wogan radio phone-in during the 1880s (no, make that the 1980s) came up with the name "Northampton Lighthouse", largely because Northampton is one of the furthest places from the sea. (It’s also known as the "Cobblers' Needle", and was built for testing new lifts at the Express Lifts factory, now closed). Worth a visit, no? Yes, you’re right; no ...........

The Footie Team was formed in 1897 by an amalgamation of wig and gown – local solicitor A J Darnell and the cream of the town’s pedagogues ............. after 40 years footling around – home games at the County Ground until 1994, when they moved to the Sixfields Stadium (now, through market forces, depleted to the FourandaQuarterFields Stadium) ........... they were admitted to the Football League in 1920, and spent the next 38 years in the Third Division South – flirting with promotion twice (27/28 and 49/50) but finishing second both times in a League where only the top team went up ............ Things did improve, though, under manager Dave Bowen, and at the end of 1960/61 they were promoted from Division 4 (of which they’d been founder members) in 3rd place with 60 points, behind the Posh and Palace, and ahead of Bradford Park Lane; in 1962/63 they won Division 3 by 4 points from Swindon (2 up, 2 down), and they were promoted to the Top Flight after the 1964/65 season, a point behind Newcastle and unbeaten at home all season (their highest-ever position in the Pyramid) ........... As you’ll remember, though, after the Boom came the, if you’ll pardon the expression, Bust, and three GreasyPoles in four season saw them back in Division 4 by the time Man first walked in the Moon - a still unbeaten record for an Umbrella (what goes up ....) ............... but if I remember aright, Swansea did much the same thing a bit later ...............Happy times!

Tommy Fowler holds the club appearance record, having played 552 first-team matches between 1946 and 1961; centre half and former captain Ian Sampson is second, with 449 games. Jack English is the top goalscorer with 143 goals in competitive matches between 1947 and 1959, having surpassed Teddy Bowen's total of 120, which had stood since September 1931............. Famous managers include Herbert Chapman (later of Huddersfield and Arsenal fame) who was manager from 1907 to 1912, Ron Flowers (see “1966 World Cup” above), Paddy Crerand, Dave Bowen (twice) , Ian Sampson (see “449 games” above), Aidy Boothroyd, Chris Wilder and Jimmy Floyd Kit-Car Hasselhoff .............. famous players include Dave Bowen, Phil Neal, and a bunch of people I’ve never heard of ..................

Last season, you’ll recall, they made the Covid League Playoffs, coming back after a 2-0 home defeat by Cheltenham in the semis to win 3-0 away and make Wembley, where they stuffed Exeter (who had ex Guiseley keeper Jonny Maxted in goal– where he had a bit of a mare, to be honest - by 4-0 ............. they parted company with 15 players over the summer; thirteen were released, including GK Bradley Lashley, who joined Cogenhoe United (no, truly ....), CB Jordan Turnbull (to Gary Neville’s All-Stars), Andy Williams to Moon River FC and Jay Williams to Wealdstone; striker Vadaine Oliver rejected a new contract and signed for Gillingham, and CB Charlie Goode joined Brentford for £1 million .............. they signed ten, including much-travelled CB Cian Bolger from the Imps, striker Benny Ashley-Seal from Wolves, MF Jack Sowerby from Fleetwoof, striker Danny Mightylikea Rose from the Stags, and winger Ricky Holmes and CB Alan Sheehan, both from AFC Unattached ...........

Currently they’re 17th, off the back of a record that reads P11 W3 D2 L6 GF10, GA20 (worst in League One) for 11 points; wins against the Shrews (2-1 away), Swindon (2-1 at home) and Wigan 3-2 away; home draws against the Wombles (Desmond) and the PhoneyWombles (goalless Desmond); home record is W1 D2 L3 GF4 GA9 ...... they’ve conceded 2 goals seven times, one goal once, no goals once, and four goals once (at Pompey) .......... Keith CurlyFries is still manager (for now, anyway) ........... and you’ll have seen that Garry Monk hit the buffers at Sheff Wednesday (taking James Beattie - in whom we trust - down with him) – and Leam Richardson seems not to fancy the Wigan job, not that it’s been offered anyway ........ in the Cups, the Cordwanglers lost in the FA Cup 2-1 to Oxford ............. City! ............. and in the EFL Cup they put 3 past Cardiff in Round 1 but then conceded 4 at Bristol City ........... and if they draw with or beat Stevenage in the Troffy, they’ll reach Round 2 ............ leading scorer (with 3) is AMF Samuel ‘Babyface’ Hoskins ....

Deadline for entries is – in case you’ve forgotten – scheduled kick-off time, which is 3.00pm on Saturday 14th November ............... We last met Les Couilles in season 2015/16, sharing a half Desmond at our place and losing 1-0 at theirs, and the season before we won 5-4 at Sixfields (two goals from Atkinson, two from John O’Sullivan – whatever did happen to him? – and one from Maguire) and then let them win 5-1 at ours (they also beat Hartlepool 5-1 that season) ............... and RIP Tony Waiters (ex Blackpool GK, and manager of the only Canadian side to make the World Cup Finals in 1986) who died this week aged 83 ............ and well done to Scotland, who, after 23 years, finally qualified for something (State Pension, probably) after winning a penalty shoot-out 5-4 against Serbia in the European Championship Qualifiers ............. and commiserations to Northern Ireland

“What do we want?”
“Belfast accents!”
“When do we want them?”
“Noy!”

... who dibbed out in Group B of the Euros 2-1 at home to Slovakia (not sure who Czecho are playing) ...........

And the World Cup “Missing Five” were Blackpool’s all-time great RB Jimmy Armfield, Liverpool LB Gerry Byrne, Ron Flowers (Wolves’ left-half), George Eastham (think £20 maximum wage and Arsenal), and Norman Hunter (the Leeds Leg-Biter) ..... and the squad earned the name Ramsey’s Wingless Wonders because, in part, of the fact that Liverpool’s Ian Callaghan, Southampton’s Terry Paine and Man U’s John Connelly got one game each ........... And John Sheridan got the 100th Lansdowne Road goal against Bolivia ........ but you knew that!

And a final thought; they say there’s nothing like a good Cup Run ............. and that’s what last Saturday at Tranmere was ........ nothing like a good Cup run

Good luck to everyone! ........... Stay Safe and Keep Well! .......... And thanks for playing!

DaveinGermany likes this.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2020, 07:49   #2
God Member

Re: 2020/21 Prediction League; Game 12 v Northampton Town (away)

Bit of an injury crisis at Stanley and Cassidy on international duty seem to struggle against lower teams Stanley 1-1 Northampton.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 08:39   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

1-0 stanley for me, as for who never kicked a ball No Idea,
Old 13-11-2020, 09:09   #4
God Member

two teams not in the best of form. going stanley 1 load of cobblers 1.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 10:02   #5
Senior Member+

1-0 Stanley, please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 10:07   #6
Senior Member+

Not wishing to start the match thread yet, here's tomorrow's programme. Thank you to NTFC:
https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/20202/no...ton_programme/
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 10:12   #7

Northampton 1 Stanley 2 please
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 11:04   #8
Full Member+

1-0 Win for Stanley please.
Watchdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 11:42   #9
Senior Member+

I think we may just scrape this one, 3-2 to Stanley for me please. Hope Lewis Mansell amongst the scorers

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 12:27   #10
God Member

2 - 1 to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 13:38   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
1-0 stanley for me, as for who never kicked a ball No Idea,
Answer's at the end of the opening post Cashie, as always

Did you read it to the end?
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 14:42   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
Answer's at the end of the opening post Cashie, as always

Did you read it to the end?
to be honest no i abandoned when iread the word Belfast, cant stand the place.
Old 13-11-2020, 14:47   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
to be honest no i abandoned when iread the word Belfast, cant stand the place.
Bit like Northampton a ground I definitely ain't bothered about fans being in what a boring hostile dump.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 15:32   #14

Northampton 0 Stanley 2
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 16:26   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

2-1 to the Stanley please D3N

And claim to fame, Ian Callaghan used to live down our street & round the corner & Tommy Smith used to live on the corner over from us & I'd knock round with his boy "when a wur a lad"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..