Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2021, 12:47   #46
God Member

Re: Main stand redevelopment

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
the problem with things like twitter or facebook is that people are overusing the thing and cannot leave their tippy tappy device alone....
That’s the intention of them. Keep people constantly flipping between Twitter, What’s App, tik tok! Facebook, etc, etc, ad nauseam....with their attention span reduced to the length of an 10 second advert.

I still suspect that the Tamigotchi ‘digital pet’ was invented in 1996 to train small children into constantly fiddling with a hand held device, at a time when mobiles were still the size of a cordless phone with a huge antennae.
Revived Red likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2021, 12:55   #47

I'm entirely "tech savvy", thanks, I just detest the whole idea of Twitter. I also detest David Cameron, but do think he was right when he said "too many tweets make a ****" . I really don't believe the world needs to know I've just eaten a sausage bap, very nice though it was ....[/QUOTE]

Chimer, it was a suggestion and was trying to be helpful. I'm on Twitter mainly to follow Andy and the Club.

I don't tweet myself.......Keep your Helmet on!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 15:43   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
I'm entirely "tech savvy", thanks, I just detest the whole idea of Twitter. I also detest David Cameron, but do think he was right when he said "too many tweets make a ****" . I really don't believe the world needs to know I've just eaten a sausage bap, very nice though it was ....
Chimer, it was a suggestion and was trying to be helpful. I'm on Twitter mainly to follow Andy and the Club.

I don't tweet myself.......Keep your Helmet on! [/QUOTE]

Sorry - I've been programming since 1968, so you touched a nerve ....
Crown Grounder likes this.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:36   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
I really don't believe the world needs to know I've just eaten a sausage bap, very nice though it was ....
or your friends, i mean proper friends who you actually see face to face, would be interested either. really its only an extension of pointless phone calls people made on mobile phones when they thought of them as the must have device.
cashman and Chimer like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:31   #50

Talking Re: Main stand redevelopment

Well I'm afraid to say that you can all "agree to agree" all you like......on the use of social media, but in the long term if Stanley is to survive and flourish it is the social media savvy young uns that the club needs attract as supporters fo the future........when we old uns are long gone.....
monkey hanger likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:37   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
many people have a strong dislike for twitter myself included though i am on it i only go on match days.
You just stick to Accrington Observer on a Friday! 🤣👍🏼
Old 09-04-2021, 14:50   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
You just stick to Accrington Observer on a Friday! ������
I can still remember the early 90s, travelling up to Accrington on a Saturday and buying an Observer in Baxenden so that we could check for any news about the team.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:54   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
You just stick to Accrington Observer on a Friday! 🤣👍🏼
i get it on thursday baldy thats when it comes out. its rubbish these days thinking of stopping getting it.
Old 09-04-2021, 21:47   #54
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I've just eaten a sausage bap, very nice though it was ....

Brown, tomato, mustard or naked! That the world needs to know.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:58   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Brown, tomato, mustard or naked! That the world needs to know.
Brown, of course ....
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:01   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i get it on thursday baldy thats when it comes out. its rubbish these days thinking of stopping getting it.
think that its like all local papers then. stopped getting our one a couple of years ago and never buy the hartlepool mail anymore when i go back up there. pity but these publications are a thing of the past where most know before they print them what the actual news they are interested in is.
Old 10-04-2021, 13:27   #57
Full Member+

Very true MH gone are the days when your local paper was written by local journalists and printed in the town. When the Observer was published on Tuesdays and Saturdays it was always read for the local sports results and information. To me the loss of our local paper was a big factor in losing track of local football and cricket clubs also other things like the Observer Cup for snooker - is that still played for?
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:26   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i am sure its still played for pifco not that i have been since the drill hall.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:42   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
Very true MH gone are the days when your local paper was written by local journalists and printed in the town. When the Observer was published on Tuesdays and Saturdays it was always read for the local sports results and information. To me the loss of our local paper was a big factor in losing track of local football and cricket clubs also other things like the Observer Cup for snooker - is that still played for?
the reson i stopped buying them was for the reason these reports and results got really sketchy. at one time it was the only way you knew if you were selected to play many sports on a saturday especially if training was cancelled mid week. the teams were published and you had to buy a copy. now its just emails and last minute ones at that where you are expected to pick up. its all called progress but not by me.
pifco likes this.
Old 22-04-2021, 13:26   #60
Senior Member+

Not messing about!

https://twitter.com/andyhholt/status...308246017?s=21

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..