Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2021, 18:28   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Lincoln away match thread

probably that was the case a player not the clown.
Old 15-02-2021, 19:42   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
I think that was the summariser, presumably an ex-player, who sat with the commentator.
He was OK, but the commentator was like an over-excited fan, claiming “oh, brilliant cross field pass” seconds before the ball went five yards over the head of the Lincoln wing back and directly into touch. It became quite a laugh he was so biased.
Exactly first half Lincoln were that poor( outplayed ) he even said Accy played well and deserved to be in front, second half once they got a toe hold Accy were somehow just forgotten.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 09:32   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
I did get I Follow eventually, I had to change my password in the process, just hope I dont have the same probs on Wed night.
that has happened to me more than once for away games. seems its more by luck than anything else for me. mind you its worse for the hartlepool games i watch when stanley are not playing. the only way i can watch is via the away clubs website.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 15:42   #94
Full Member+

I recall Dan saying that because of covid restrictions, he can't travel to matches to provide live commentary so we are stuck with away commentary only for the time being.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 17:07   #95
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
I recall Dan saying that because of covid restrictions, he can't travel to matches to provide live commentary so we are stuck with away commentary only for the time being.
quite a few away teams have had a large media presence at the Wham this season.
Ironically, the chap doing the Plymouth iFollow was plagued with technical issues last Tuesday. Most Plymouth fans on social media were more than complimentary of Dan Jewell’s outlook. Long way on a Tuesday night for a commentator to travel and his equipment to fail!
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 17:33   #96
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

he failed far more than his equipment he didnt know which stanley player had the ball or tackled for most times, he was useless
keep the faith likes this.
Old 17-02-2021, 10:07   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
thought because of his job he is able to travel even with the restrictions around.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 10:57   #98
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
thought because of his job he is able to travel even with the restrictions around.
That is what I thought. It was about a month ago on ifollow and he was saying that he wasn't allowed to travel and we would have away commentary at the next away match. IIRC The last three matches have all been with away commentary only

Let's hope that is not the case tonight
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 11:02   #99
God Member

On the link on Facebook for Ifollow it says that due to Covid restrictions we can only have the commentary provided by Doncaster
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 11:15   #100
Full Member+

Strange that other local BBC commentators can travel to the Wham but Dan isn't travelling to away games, unless it's a personal choice for him which would be completely understandable.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 14:04   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
I've just sent an email to Radio Lincolnshie expressing my thoughts on the quality of that commentary.

Copy of email. 14/2/2021:

Hi,
I'm an Accrington Stanley supporter. I've just watched the Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley game on iFollow linked with a Radio Lincolnshire commentary.

This has to be one of the worst live commentaries I've heard. The main commentator was very poor, he hardly ever referred to any of the Stanley players by name. Constantly referring to them as "the Accrington player". Was he provided with a detailed away team sheet before the kick off?

No complaints regarding the co-presenter, in fact I found him to be very complementary and more knowledgeable throughout the game.

There are several comments regarding this issue beginning to appear on the Stanley fans forum.

I feel I had to bring this to your attention as it spoiled my enjoyment of the game.

Kind Regards,

Reply. 17/2/2021:

Thanks for your email about our commentary, and the issue of the naming of players.

When I began commentating I would take great pride in naming every player on the pitch in both teams. However the commentary coaches I have had since, have encouraged me, as a local radio commentator, to focus on the teams we cover in terms of names. The argument is that the vast majority of our local audience won’t know many of the other teams players’, so we should talk about teams rather than individuals.

Clearly things have changed of late as BBC Commentary is now taken on Ifollow. As a consequence you now have a radio commentary with a video feed, and also a reliance on just one of the stations, because of covid guidelines, and not your usual station at away games.

Whilst our focus has to remain on our local audience, we may look to tweak what we do during the covid crisis to add a few more opposition players. I appreciate this won’t impact Accrington games, unless we meet in the playoffs, but hopefully it reflects that we are open to what you say.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Best Wishes

Michael Hortin
Sports Editor
BBC Radio Lincolnshire

Last edited by keep the faith; 17-02-2021 at 14:09. Reason: Close gaps between paragraphs
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 14:09   #102
Senior Member+

If you take that attitude to its logical conclusion, there isn't really much need to know which team Lincoln City are playing against.

On the other hand, if Dan can do it properly...
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 14:45   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

to me thats a very poor excuse by their sports editor, if people cant do the job then they shouldnt be doing it imho
Old 17-02-2021, 16:47   #104
Senior Member+

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/0...sm-homophobia/

Here's something to digest. Steve was co commentator on Sunday I believe.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 17:28   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/0...sm-homophobia/

Here's something to digest. Steve was co commentator on Sunday I believe.
Oh Dear. Now I'm not quite sure where you are going with this Twenty Eight?

I am personally guilty of using "non-pc" comments such as "hand-bags" and "nitty-gritty" sometimes in conversation. However, I suppose when you are on BBC radio you have to be more careful so as not to offend. Having said that because I am a child of the 1950's, before the law change in 1967 I remember a time when diverse groups in our society were persecuted simply because they were different. I'm a great believer in equal rights and the freedom of individuals to live how they want to live providing they don't force there views on others. As to Pink News, well its not on my reading list at the moment and I doubt I'll be seeking it out anytime soon. I think this could quite easily set our forum on fire with comments......but then maybe we are all adults after all?
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..