Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2021, 19:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: The league return of the fans matchday thread

While I welcome the 3 points, I thought we were lucky to grab all of them.

Cambridge had 3 really good chances in the first half and at least as many in the second. If their players had made better contact, then we'd have been in real trouble.

Having said that, we saw it through and grabbed the victory, so who am I to complain?

I thought Morgan had a good game protecting the defense, with Pell and Butcher also standing out going forward. The worry I have is the same as the Bradford game... we look weak through the middle. Doncaster on Tuesday will have better finishers and we'll be punished far more harshly than Cambridge could manage today.

Let's hope we can adopt a system to cover these flaws.
AccyMad and cashman like this.
Old 14-08-2021, 20:37   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thought we played well 1st half, second half complete GARBAGE.
Bit harsh Cashy, we were coasting in the first half but in the second Cambridge had obviously had a kick up the jacksy & upped their game, & but for the unfortunate mistake for their goal which then got their tails up I think we'd have seen the game out easier but see it out we did despite the 5 minutes the ref deemed necessary - 3 points gained in the Stanley nail biting way, wouldn't have it any differently
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 21:14   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
While I welcome the 3 points, I thought we were lucky to grab all of them.

Cambridge had 3 really good chances in the first half and at least as many in the second. If their players had made better contact, then we'd have been in real trouble.

Having said that, we saw it through and grabbed the victory, so who am I to complain?

I thought Morgan had a good game protecting the defense, with Pell and Butcher also standing out going forward. The worry I have is the same as the Bradford game... we look weak through the middle. Doncaster on Tuesday will have better finishers and we'll be punished far more harshly than Cambridge could manage today.

Let's hope we can adopt a system to cover these flaws.
Doncaster will be smarting after 2 opening defeats and 0 points on the board will have to be at the top of our game as we have with every team at this level, but Doncaster haven't a good record at our place.

Last edited by andyd; 14-08-2021 at 21:19.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 22:14   #19

It felt like things had not changed in my 18 months away from the Wham.
Accy still have ability to grind out wins and we still like to make it hard for ourselves!
First half took our chances well, second half Cambridge forced us back/we dropped too deep but we showed good resilience to hang on.
Pleased will Pell and Butcher in midfield.
Team was as expected, our forwards are a good threat going forward, but we look suscectable to pace at the back.
Morgan and Rodgers came in and did solid jobs. The subs bench looked a bit light of quality for changes.
It was great to be back in the ground, thanks to Jase and the gang for display and the supporters trust for their behind the scenes. On Stanley on! (To Tuesday)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 07:53   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Bit harsh Cashy, we were coasting in the first half but in the second Cambridge had obviously had a kick up the jacksy & upped their game, & but for the unfortunate mistake for their goal which then got their tails up I think we'd have seen the game out easier but see it out we did despite the 5 minutes the ref deemed necessary - 3 points gained in the Stanley nail biting way, wouldn't have it any differently
Disagree di its an honest view i defy anyone who was yon to say any different oer our second half performance,
Old 15-08-2021, 08:14   #21
God Member

Quote:
Can someone explain to me please HOW we had 3 players booked and Cambridge had none? the only reason i could see were the officials were useless! the linesman on the new stand side in particular the ref was not much better i saw 2 penalties we should have had and was backed up by a ref that stands with us.
what do you expect when they fast track blokes to do the job. does not seem 5 minutes since he was reffing in the national league north. wasn,t much cop at that stage either. the only thing in his favour was our cautions were justified but they should have had the first one when one of our lads was hauled down near the penalty area when we were attacking. think only a short time after that we got our first which incenced coley and quite rightly.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 08:16   #22
God Member

Did not hear it announced, or hear it in the post match interview.

Who was man of the match yesterday??

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 08:20   #23
God Member

at times even in the first half our defence seemed all at sea. a better side who could finish would have gone home with the points. we looked good going forward but really shaky in defence. for me we need a couple of experianced defenders especially a proper left back. i imagine yesterdays win only papered over the cracks for coley as well as most around me thought.
Watchdog likes this.
Old 15-08-2021, 08:22   #24
God Member

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1256305]Did not hear it announced, or hear it in the post match interview.

Who was man of the match yesterday??

didn,t hear it either. for me it should have been pell but you can never tell with these awards.
Old 15-08-2021, 08:40   #25
God Member

Did not like Dion giving his shirt away at the end...........

Old 15-08-2021, 08:44   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Did not like Dion giving his shirt away at the end...........
that is a worry. just cannot see us keeping him to be honest. if he does go i hope it will be sooner rather than a minute before the transfer period is over.
Old 15-08-2021, 08:48   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Line up :-
Trafford.
Pritchard. Rodgers. Sykes. Nottingham. McConville.
Pell. Morgan. Butcher.
Bishop. Charles.
Subs:-. Isherwood. Mumbango. Proctor. Leigh. Sully. Perritt. Nolan.

No Burgess apparently off to Ipswich, no Savin haven't heard any rumours about him so presume he's had a knock. Hope we get close to seven figures for Burgess.
Heard at the ground yesterday he had tested positive?

Old 15-08-2021, 09:15   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Heard at the ground yesterday he had tested positive?
That's all the club need but Coley in his interview did mention there had been some sickness in the camp this week "not Covid " and Pell had been affected hence him being substituted.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 09:28   #29
God Member

Quote:
Disagree di its an honest view i defy anyone who was yon to say any different oer our second half performance,
I know it's your honest view Cashy, as was mine - all about opinions & that's the beauty of the game
chevyfire likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 09:37   #30
Full Member+

match sponsors usually pick MOM but don’t think it’s taking place due to no hospitality.
might see if Holty wants to do it for time being…

Dion gave his shirt to a young fan who he accidentally hit in the face with a ball during warm up.
cashman likes this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..