Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2021, 20:22   #1
Senior Member+

2021/22 Prediction League; Game 4 v Crewe Alexandra (away)

Crewe Alexandra

V

Accrington Stanley

2021/22 Prediction League Game 4; v The Crispy Mornflakes (away)

If you've been a footie fan for years, and particularly if you go to away games, you've probably been to some of the stranger bits of England (not including Essex) ..... But every place - nearly - has something to commend it, and/or something that people identify with or remember it by ......... Hundreds of businesses in Hastings, for example, are named after the Battle of Hastings, so there’s a 1066 vets, a 1066 judo club and a building firm delightfully called William the Concreter (brilliant, that one); Melton Mowbray is obsessed with pork pies, and one café sells a ‘Melton special breakfast’, which is a pork pie on a piece of wood ...... and my favourite, the thing I will now remember the town for, and the Gold Award Winner in the annual "I wish I'd Proof-Read What I Wrote" category goes to Northampton Hospital, which at one time apparently had a sign displayed outside the main doors which said “Family planning advice – use rear entrance.”

Essex .... ah, Essex; the County of my birth, and the butt of so many Essex Girl jokes ............... Essex Girl went into a sex shop and said to the bloke behind the counter,

"I want a vibrator"

He said, "They're on the wall over there, pick which one you want"

She said, "I'll have the red one"

He said, "That's the fire extinguisher"

And who, would you think, did Karl-Heinz Rummenigge once describe as "The Muhammad Ali of the penalty box"? Answer, of course, is "Der Bomber" - Gerd Muller - who died on Sunday aged 75 ....... Muller - a mere 5' 9" - joined Bayern München - then in the Second Tier - in 1964, and played 453 times for them, scoring a phenomenal 398 goals; for the National side he played 62 times and scored 68, including the winner in the 1974 World Cup; he was top scorer in the Bundesliga seven times, scored 85 goals in the calendar year 1972 (a record which fell to Messi 40 years later), and his 40 goals in the Bundesliga season 1971/72 stood as a record for 49 years, until this year when Lewandowski broke it ............. when he left Bayern aged 34 in 1979 he spent three years at Fort Lauderdale, hitting 38 in 71 .............Bayern President Herbert Hainer said.

"Gerd Muller was the greatest striker there has ever been - and a fine person, a personality in world football. We are united in deep sorrow with his wife Uschi and his family. Without Gerd Muller, FC Bayern would not be the club we all love today. His name and the memory of him will live on forever."

Ruhe in Frieden, Gerd.

And sad again today, with the news that the great Denis Law has dementia ... Jack Charlton, Nobby Stiles, Martin Peters, Ray Wilson all passed on because of it, Bobby Charlton also suffering with it, and now Denis Law- The Lawman ........ you sometimes think the world's a cruel place ............ We're thinking of you Denis - you were one of my boyhood heroes when I watched you at Maine Road and Old Trafford, and we wish you well ......... Thanks for the memories

And time for a mini round-up, I think ............. Two 100% records in Ligue Un (Pomposity, and Burton Albinos); seven unbeaten sides; three pointless teams - that's teams without points, not "pointless" pointless (still Fleetwoof, Donnie and the Shrews) ............ at the hour mark in Tuesday's game we were: the only side in the top ten to have lost or be losing a match; apart from the top two and bottom three, the only side not to have drawn a game (as at that time, not over completed games ie "as it stands"); and the only team with 6 points.

League Two sees Vegan Greenpeace top (the only 100%-ers who've played three - the Cobblers are on 6 points from two, and Harrogate on 3 points from one), eight sides still to lose, Oldham bottom of the pile with nul points and one goal (and we play them next week in the EFL Cup), Sutton United in 21st on one point from two (with Rochdale and Walsall between them and the Latics), and the likes of Salford MoneyBags and Exeter without a win; and as it stands, five points from 3 gets you into the Playoffs!

You'll all remember that the football team from Crewe took their name from the Danish-born wife of the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII - Princess Alexandra Caroline Marie Charlotte Louise Julia of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg; Edward and Alix - identified by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert as "the only one to be chosen" as Edward's future wife - met on 24th September 1861; almost a year later on 9 September 1862 (mainly because His Randyship was busy bonking Nellie Clifden) Edward proposed ... I doubt that Princess Alix ever guessed that she'd have a football team named after her, though ........... good thing they chose Alexandra, I think; "Crewe Charlotte" doesn't have the same ring at all ....sounds way too much like a very sweet creamy pudding

While we're talking place, this week's Starter for Ten, then; how many of the current Championnat have names which begin with the letter "B", and who are they?

And did you know that there's a crater on Mars named after Crewe? So didn't I. The "Crewe Crater" (which sounds like something that Schwarzenegger would play in a film) - or maybe the "Crater of Crewe" - is approximately 3 km in diameter, lying situated "within the Margaritifer Sinus quadrangle (MC-19) region of the planet, located at 25° South, 10° West" ........so now you know! (Never Eat Shredded Wheat) ...... And on the planets - and I know I've mentioned this before - don't forget the mnemonic to remember their order from Sun to Deep Space ........ Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto (which isn't one any more, but without which the mnemoic doesn't work) ........... "My Very Energetic Mouse Jumped Straight Up Nellie's Pants" .......... not the same if you haven't got the Pants!

Normally, around this point, I'd do you a quick guided tour of Crewe, but I did it last season, and nothing appears to have changed in Crewe this year - or for about the last 200 ........ so instead, a Monologue entittlyitelled ........Oh! ....can't I? Oh well, then, Ok .... If I can't, I can't...

Crewe Alexandra Football Club was formed in 1877 as an offshoot of Crewe Alexandra Cricket Club, and played their first match against a side from Basford in North Staffordshire on 1 December 1877, drawing 1–1. In 1891, the football club split away from the cricket club - a step that was condemned by Francis Webb, chief engineer of the town's London and North Western Railway works, who supported the exclusion of professional sportsmen; following the split, Webb and the LNWR said the company would 'refuse to find employment in the Crewe Works for any professional football player'

As a "Well, knock me down with a feather", on 5 March 1892, John Pearson became the first Crewe player to win an England cap, playing against Ireland in Belfast; he remains the only Crewe player capped for the full England side while playing for the club. Gosh!

Crewe were founding members of the Football League Second Division in 1892, having previously been members of the Combination (1888–89) and the Football Alliance (1889–1892), but lost their league status in 1896 after only four seasons - finishing third from bottom, fourth from bottom, bottom and bottom, possibly due to a player budget that was a quarter of that of other clubs. They moved to the first Gresty Road ground in 1897 (in 1906 the current Gresty Road ground was rebuilt to the west of the original site). Crewe rejoined the Football League in 1921 on its expansion, finishing 6th in their first two seasons in Div3North

Between 1894 and 1982, they finished last in the Football League eight times, more than any other league club. On 25 December 1954, they began a sequence of games in which they didn't win away, which lasted for 56 matches and ended with a 1–0 win at Southport on 24 April 1957. They finished bottom of Div Three North three times in a row (1955–56 to 1957–58), tallying 28, 21 and 23 points from 46 games . In 1958/59 they were placed into Divison 4 - and you can't be surprised at that ........

Ex managers include Harry Gregg, Dennis Viollet, Ernie Tagg (who remembers him?), Harry Catterick and Jimmy Melia .......... players include Frank Blunstone, Bruce Grobbelaar, Stan Bowles, Geoff Thomas, David Platt(him off Corrie) and Neil Lennon ........... Biggest League win was 8-0 over Rotherham in the 30s, whereas they did Northwich Victoria 9-1 in the FA Cup (a long time ago); worst League performance (results-wise - I don't know about the footie they played) was an 11-1 thrashing at Lincoln in 1951, and their worst cup loss, as you'll remember (because I highlighted the game a few years back) was the 13-2 defeat by Spurs in 1961's FA Cup replay at WHL following the Desmond in the first game ..... Tommy Lowry made the most first team appearances for them, with 482 between 1965 and 1977; Bert Swindells holds the record for most goals (137 between 1927 to 1937), and Terry Harkin scored the most Crewe goals in a single season with 34 in 1964–65.

They Up-Poled to League One at the end of Covid Season 2019/20, finishing second behind Swindon with a PPG figure of 1.86 (69 points from 37 games); last season they finished 12th - one place behind us - with a record of P46 W18 D12 L16 GF56 GA65 and 66 points; we whammed them 1-0 in November (gerrit?), the goal by the Venerable Bishop of Wham just before the hour mark ("Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Wham!"), but they Gresty'd us in February (one from Omar Beckles, and one from ex-Colchester striker Chris Porter, and a red card for Harvey) ......... I hope we don't lose this one, because next year - if there is a next year - I'll have to record that they "Mornflaked" us ........ and what kind of name is that for a football ground?

I know money's money, but calling it after a brand of cornflakes - even for £500k over three years? A cereal offence, it seems to me; I mean, if your ground were sponsored by the local butcher you wouldn't call it "The Big Porkies Stadium" would you? Or if it was sponsored by a vertically-challenged bloke called William you'd not christen it "The Little Willy" ........... or happen you would ..........

12 players moved on in the summer; CB Omar Beckles went to the Orient, and his defensive partner Ollie Lancashire to Southampton; Eddie Nolan went to Waterford, and Eddie the Eagle's thinking it over (no he isn't, I made that up); most of the rest went to non-League or America (which is much the same thing), but LW Charlie Kirk joined Charlton, and after the start that they've had may be regretting being so hasty ........... and a propos de rien, did you see that Cam Burgess went straight in to the Ipswich back four alongside the Don, Kayden was on the Bench, and Toto was nowhere to be seen?

Five ProperSigned, plus a couple of loans; striker Chris Long signed from Motherwell; Welsh MF Shaun MacDonald joined from the Millers, and Scottish LB Callum McFadzean came down fra' Slumberland; Irish and English CBs Tommie Hoban and Terrell Thomas (was he the Bounder with the moustache in all those old black and white films?) came on board from Aberdeen and the Wombles respectfully ......

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which yet again is 3.00pm on a Saturday afternoon - this time, Saturday 21st August .... The Railway Children have started out draw/loss/loss (Cheltenham at home Pompey and Oxford away), and they're 21st, above the three teams who haven't scored a point, and immediately below Charlton and Ipswich on GD ... and they've scored two goals in all competitions so far, and Mikael Mandron has them both ... They're away to Leeds in the EFL Cup on Monday, and in the Troffy they've got Wigan, Shrewsbury and Wolves Babes

And - if you've not been counting - Le Championnat has six teams beginning with "B" - Bournemouth, Blackburn, Bristol City, Barnsley, Birmingham and Blackpool ......... and the Blades still haven't scored in the League, nor have Shrewsbury, Exeter, or Portly Value ........... but there's time yet! And no sacked managers .......... but there's time for that yet too ...........

Good luck to everyone! ............. Keep the Faith! ............ And thanks for playing!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2021, 20:33   #2
God Member

Re: 2021/22 Prediction League; Game 4 v Crewe Alexandra (away)

2 nil to Stanley please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 20:46   #3

1-0 win for stanley please
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 20:49   #4
Full Member+

Crewe Alexandra 1-2 Accrington Stanley
accytom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 21:02   #5

2-1 to stanley
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 21:40   #6
Senior Member+

1-3 to Stanley please

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 06:30   #8
Full Member+

2-2 draw please
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:01   #9

Crewe 0 Stanley 0
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:23   #10
God Member

crewe 2 stanley 0.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 10:33   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-1 stanley fer me
Old 20-08-2021, 13:06   #12
Senior Member+

While I'm thinking about it - 2-1 Stanley maybe.
Old 20-08-2021, 14:38   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
While I'm thinking about it - 2-1 Stanley maybe.
Stop Press

Chimer remembers to enter his own competition ................. Maybe.

Chimer likes this.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 15:14   #14
Senior Member+

1-0 Stanley, please
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 15:43   #15
God Member

Stanley 1-0 Crewe.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..