Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2021, 07:28   #46
God Member

Re: Wigan Athletic home match thread

Reading the Wigan,s fans forum this morning all saying the best away day experience they have ever had regardless of the win also a few saying we weren't that bad it was just they were brilliant on the day and everything clicked. Also one comment,s not many teams will fancy it here on a wet Tuesday evening well said. PS :- thought Wigan supporters contributed to a marvelous atmosphere.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2021, 10:20   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
I agree with you that we were outplayed today but we aren't that bad a side as you portray Wigan are again throwing money at it and although it doesn't guarantee success I think they have in Leam Richardson possibly one of the brightest young managers in the football league,I certainly think Paul Cook is missing him as assistant to him at Ipswich apparently he really wanted him alongside him again. They were possibly so early in a season one of the best standout fluent teams and also a joy to watch I have seen in years watching the lads. Stanley were well beat the fourth goal a bit harsh at the death, we will hopefully learn from that and personally still think especially if we start scoring be a top 10 team, starting with 3 points next Saturday at Morecambe.
To be honest andy i thought it could have been 1-6 quite easy, but not complaining, wigan were superb and we were not at the races yesterday.
yonmon and choirboy like this.
Old 19-09-2021, 10:25   #48

I think I would feel happier if we won and Wigan said our ground and club were tinpot.

I know it's not a binary choice I'm just feeling bitter.

I sense from Coley's interview it's going to be a hard one this year but then again we're Accy Stanley in League One. It should be bloody hard.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 11:36   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
I think I would feel happier if we won and Wigan said our ground and club were tinpot.

I sense from Coley's interview it's going to be a hard one this year but then again we're Accy Stanley in League One. It should be bloody hard.
i aint bitter at all, disappointed a bit but cant complain.
Old 19-09-2021, 11:53   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post

Just imagine how hard it would be in the Championship because believe you me that Wigan side had Championship written all over it.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 17:03   #51
Senior Member+

Different slant on events!!!
Was with all my Wigan mates before game and they couldn’t believe the community spirit generated by Acci,was bordering on jealousy,first class beer and pies !!
They even had a good chat with Andy Holt!
I chose to stand with the Acci lads for the game and were a credit to the club,never stopped singing despite what was happening on the pitch.
From the first minute I thought Acci may regret preparing a playing surface fit for the premier league and so it panned out.
It suits better players and Wigan took advantage,moving the ball fast and one/two touch.
Thought Morgan never give up and Colby had no luck,but Acci caught Wigan on a good day,
AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 6 others like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 19:25   #52
God Member

Nice to read that post, F19.
We were only marvelling at the state of the pitch before kick off. It indeed looked like Whambley!
Some of the old pictures of Jimmy Greaves on the web today reveal just how playing surfaces have changed.
Recall the pitch then was our twelfth man against Fulham but I’d rather see it like it is now, so well done to past and present groundstaff!
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 12:07   #53
God Member

Like this picture from the Fishy gallery.
Was the Wigan defender thinking “Whoa, let that man go, he means business”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 52D9B8E3-5A30-491C-8435-00E233CF93D8.jpeg (139.7 KB, 15 views)
yonmon and The Red Darreners like this.
Old 20-09-2021, 12:54   #54
God Member

Smile Re: Wigan Athletic home match thread

Having just watched the goals/highlights on F.L. show, it just confirmed what I thought on the day, Wigan were very, very good and their interplay was fantastic

Coley was spot on in his post match, we must remember who we are and results like this will happen, against teams like Wigan, when it happens against Barrow, we start to worry

AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 2 others like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 12:57   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Nice to read that post, F19.
We were only marvelling at the state of the pitch before kick off. It indeed looked like Whambley!
Some of the old pictures of Jimmy Greaves on the web today reveal just how playing surfaces have changed.
Recall the pitch then was our twelfth man against Fulham but I’d rather see it like it is now, so well done to past and present groundstaff!
Agree Exile,year on year the playing surface gets better which promotes better quality football.
choirboy likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 13:46   #56

Really nice to read all the sanguine comments on here about Saturday's game; from where we were sat, Wigan were indeed superb - I suspect the most complete performance by any away team I have seen since we started coming in 2009. Fans seemed to be first class, atmosphere was brilliant - nor do I think our lads disgraced themselves - sometimes it's just a case of doffing caps in the right direction the Wigan Latics were just too good on the day.
And on that note: when you consider Messrs Richardson, Beattie, Murphy, Ali were sat on the bench, and even Sarah who used to work in the office at our place and now runs the Football Administration side at Wigan was sat with their directors, one might argue that Wigan's return to excellence has in no little way been "MADE IN ACCRINGTON". And we should surely celebrate that.
And finally from me I'm glad folk are beginning to take more and more notice of Dave Morgan's contribution to the team. I think he's been a fantastic acquisition and he'll only get better. I also think his interview with Dan last week revealed an intelligent, thoughtful character; I wonder if any diplomatic skills he may have developed as the former Sandgrounders' captain might be usefully deployed in improving the current mindset of a certain ex-colleague of his from Haig Avenue...
No pressure - just idle speculation about the potentially helpful skill-set of one of our squad....
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:31   #57
God Member

Can only hope so, Darrener.
I’d like to think a young player would listen as much to the advice from a level-headed player as much, if not more, than from an agent.
yonmon likes this.
Old 22-09-2021, 08:06   #58
God Member

one game win or lose does not define a season. stanley have had bigger defeats at home and its how they re act to it is what matters. remember not too many seasons ago one of them southern sides came up and everything they did came off and won 5-1. annoying but not the end of the football world.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..