Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2021, 01:02   #1
Senior Member+

2021/22 Prediction League; Game 13 v Charlton Athletic (away)

Charlton Athletic FC

V

Accrington Stanley

2021/22 Prediction League Game 13; v The Sarf Londoners (away)

Question: what connects us with Morecambe, the Wombles and Ipswich, and distances us three-fold from Wigan?

The answer, sadly, is the League One Table - specifically, the "Goals Against" column - in that we've conceded 21 goals in 12 games (1.75 gpg), as have Ipswich, Morecambe and AFC Wombles, which is more than any of the other teams have shipped ...... Cheltenham, Charlton, Donnie and Bolton have each let in 20 ............ and Wigan, the Duck's Arse Team of the Season so far, have let in 1/3rd as many as us (7) ......... seven sides have scored fewer than our 14, and five of those sides are in the bottom five places in the table, whereas the Wols (for those who know their Winnie the Pooh) are seventh with 13 goals scored, and Cheltenham are 14th with 12 scored .... to my astonishment, being statistically the worst-performing team in the League over the last six games, we're still in the top half of the table ...... and this week we go to 22nd-placed Charlton and then host 12th-placed Pompey .......... Am I alone in thinking that this week might be Season-Defining? And FYI, I propose to recall Parliament to discuss the current Crisis, in the hope that a few Cobras might sort it all out ..............

And this week's Starter for Ten; how many current PrawnSandwich or EFL teams are there in London, and which of them play alongside Charlton in South London?

And oh my goodness, Romance of the Cup Time starts again ..... First Round Proper ........ Don't know when the First Round Improper is, but I might go to that .......... eighth-tier Sudbury host Colchester (who got dumped out by eighth-tier Marine last season) ......... two more eighth-tier sides might make it if the can win their replays (Marske Utd and Pontefract Collieries (which I have to say I thought Maggie shut down .....) ... Marske will play Altrincham at home if they beat Gateshead, and Pontefract Collieries ("The Liquorice Cakes) will play Maidenhead Utd if they see off Halifax ........ Sheff Wed v Plymouth could be tasty, and Newport get their chance of revenge on Morecambe for that very iffy penalty that won the League Two Playoff Final .... Lincoln v Bowers and Pitsea (who?): Leyton Orient v Ebbsfleet (Gravesend and Northfleet as was, you may recall - and was anybody else, for one season only, a part-owner of Ebbsfleet?) Bolton v Stockpot sounds like the days of yore: Ipswich v Oldham once had First Division connotations: TwistySpires Utd v Southend - make that "Manager-less" Southend, after Whatshisface got the bullet - is now an All-Bananarama Extravaganza; Sutton Utd (who - if they win their game in hand - would go second in League Two, and who've won six of their last seven in the League) and did Pompey 2-0 away on Tuesday in the Troffy, now face an FA Cup trip to Dorking or Hayes and Yeading .......... and for those who don't, to their shame, know where Marske FC is (Marske-by-the-Sea, North Yorkshire, England, and they're currently members of the Northern Premier League Division One East and play at Mount Pleasant - but not the Sorting Office!) or where Sutton's ground is (Gander Green Lane) ...... now's your chance to learn!

Although I was a bit concerned for Our Lads (who play at PortlyValeBananskin FC) to read on Twitter (which I'm not even on anyway) that our First Round match

"..... will be played across the weekend of Saturday 6th November"

...which is quite a lot of time to be added to the more usual 90 minutes

Charlton is an area of southeast London, England, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, east of Greenwich itself and west of Woolwich, and 7 miles east-southeast of Charing Cross. It's recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Cerletone, a name formed from Old English 'ceorl' and 'tūn' which means 'farmstead of the freemen or peasants' (I vote for peasants!) It's a common English place name and the parish was also known as Charlton next Woolwich to distinguish it from Charlton by Dover. During the 19th century the riverside portion of the area became known as New Charlton.

Daniel Defoe - originally Daniel Foe - who wrote "Robinson Crusoe", published in 1719 - wasn't a fan; in the early 18th century, Charlton was described by Defoe as:

"A village famous, or rather infamous, for the yearly collected rabble of mad-people, at Horn-Fair; the rudeness of which I cannot but think, is such as ought to be suppressed, and indeed in a civiliz'd well govern'd nation, it may well be said to be unsufferable. The mob indeed at that time take all kinds of liberties, and the women are especially impudent for that day; as if it was a day that justify'd the giving themselves a loose to all manner of indecency and immodesty, without any reproach, or without suffering the censure which such behaviour would deserve at another time. (from A Tour through Great Britain)"

Sounds like the home supporters at most grounds (except ours) .........

Charlton Athletic Football Club was founded on 9 June 1905. Their home ground is the Valley, where they've played since 1919, apart from one year in Catford, during 1923–24, and seven years at Crystal Palace and West Ham United between 1985 and 1992, due to financial issues, and then safety concerns raised by the local council.

They turned professional in 1920 and first entered the Football League in 1921, along with Aberdare Athletic .... this was the season when Div3 was expanded and split; most of the sides from the previous year formed the new Div3South, and 18 of the 20 new sides made up the "new" D3N, apart from Grimsby from the previous season and Stockpot, relegated from Div2

Charlton's first season saw them finish 16th, with 37 points from 42 games (W13 D11 L18 GF43 GA56) ...... Millwall (12th) had 38 points, and Brighton (19th) had 35, so tight leagues are nothing new ...... low points of their season were the 5-4 home loss to Swindon, and the 6-0 spanking at Southampton (who won promotion over Plymouth by GD on 61 points) ... Accie, for those who don't know, finished 5th in D3N that year, with 42 points from 38 games .......... two points for a win, of course, back then - of which, more later in the week

Since then the club has had four separate periods in the top flight of English football: 1936–1957, 1986–1990, 1998–1999, and 2000–2007. Historically, their most successful period was the 1930s, when they finished runners-up of the First Division (in 1937), three points behind Man City and two ahead of Arsenal (Man U managing to be relegated!). Charlton also reached two consecutive FA Cup finals, losing 4-1 in 1946 to a Derby side including Vic Woodley, Raich Carter and Peter Doherty (two goals on 85 and 86 leaving it a half-Desmond, and Derby ramming in (see what I did there? Derby? Ramming?) three goal in extra time, and then beating Burnley 1-0 in 1947.

Jimmy Seed managed the club from 1933 to 1956, and Alan Curbishley from July 1991 to May 2006 - the first five years jointly with Steve Gritt .... outside of them, they've others including Alan Mullery, Bob Stokoe and South African born Eddie Firmani (who played as a striker for the club over three spells from 1950-55, 1963-65, and 1967-68, scoring 88 in 165 League games for them, and also played for gli Azzurri once in 1956, once in 1957 and once in 1958........... most appearances record is held by GK Sam Bartram (623), followed by MF Keith Peacock on 592; Charlton's record goal scorer is Derek Hales, who scored 168 times in all competitions in 368 matches during two spells for the club; counting only league goals, Stuart Leary is the club's record scorer with 153 between 1951 and 1962.

Second Starter for Ten; Keith Peacock didn't succeed in breaking Sam Bartram's appearance record for the Addicks; but what footballing feat did he achieve on 21 August 1965 against Bolton Wanderers at Burnden Park at 3.11pm?

Charlton ended last season 7th in League One, behind Oxford on GD (+21 plays +14), so missed the Post Season Frolics ......... Seventeen left at the end of the season, notably MF Darren Pratley to Leyton Orient, GK Ben Amos to Wigan, striker Chuks Aneke to Brum, and Marcus Maddison - long time servant to Posh, with 212 appearances and 52 goals between 2014 and 2020, but a still young man (28) who became disenchanted with the game, and now plays for Spalding United ....... eleven came in, including CMF Sean Clare from Oxford, and - buy of the season, this one, potentially - striker Jayden Stockley from PNE, plus GK Stephen Henderson from Crystal Palace, wingers Charlie Kirk and Corey Blackett-Taylor from Crewe and Tranmere, and Sunderland CMF George Dobson .... they also acquired the very experienced Nigel Adkins as manager, to replace Lee Bowyer in March last when LB went to Brum

It's not all rosy in their garden currently, though ......... League record at home is W1 D2 L3, and away it's W1 D1 L4, giving them P12 W2 D3 L7 GF13 GA20 for 9 points and 22nd place ......... wins 2-0 at home to Crewe and 2-1 at Fleetwoof (Crewe 23rd and Fleetwoof 19th as we speak).... they lasted one game in the EFL Cup, losing 1-0 at home to local rivals The Old Wombles, and in the Troffy they beat Crawley at home 6-1, and Southampton u12s 4-1, and with Leyton Orient to play they're through to the next round already, and the First Round of the FA Cup will bring them either Torquay or Havant on 6th November

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 7.45pm on Tuesday 19th October .............. Head to head is level, if meagre; 2018/19 brought a half Desmond at ours (goal by Clicker) and a 1-0 thrashing at theirs; 2020/21 brought us a 2-0 win at theirs (the Bishop of Wham on 36 and 67) and a half-Desmond at ours (Joe Pritchard on 81, Aneke getting the draw on 90+5) ...... leading goal scorer is Jaydon Stockley (3 League, 2 Troffy)

If you look at the respective seasons, worried as I am about ours, theirs is poorer; goals 13-20 for a -7; points are 9 for them and 16 for us ...... but it's too early for that to mean much. It's about who wants it more - ad after the euphoria of the 5-0 win over the Little Foxes, you'd have hoped that we did ..... but did we? And do we? We'll see this week, I suspect ... They've used 32 players so far this season; we haven't ...

And North London has Arsenal (Islington) and Spurs (Haringey)

West London covers Brentford, Chelsea, Fulham and QPR

East London is home to Leyton Orient and West Ham

And South London hosts Charlton (Greenwich), Millwall (Lewisham), Crystal Palace (Selhurst), and the Wombles who, as of last year, are back in Merton ............ Twelve clubs in all, and Millwall, Palace and Los Womblos in the mix with Charlton, even if they aren't pitted against Millwall or Palace.................

And MF Keith Peacock became the first substitute ever to be used in the Football League on 21st August 1965 when he came on for injured goalkeeper Mick Rose after 11 minutes of an away match against Bolton ...
Good luck to everyone! ............. Keep the Faith! ............ And thanks for playing!

COYR!

Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2021, 04:47   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 2021/22 Prediction League; Game 13 v Charlton Athletic (away)

2-1 to the Stanley please D3N.
Old 18-10-2021, 06:06   #3
God Member

They're struggling, we're struggling - got nil apiece written all over it but I think we'll have one of our epiphany moments & win so I'm going for 1 - 0 to the Stanley boys please
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 08:36   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

2-0 stanley.
Old 18-10-2021, 09:59   #5

1-1 please
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:58   #6

Charlton 2 Stanley 0
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 11:15   #7

Another intellectual prolegomenon from D3N. However, there appears one glaring error in your preamble D3N.
The Iron Maiden did not close down Pontefract Collieries for the simple reason it's not a coal mine - everyone knows it's a liquorice mine!
Alas, our opponents current form means diddly-squat to Stanley........
Charlton 3 - 1 Stanley
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 11:48   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Another intellectual prolegomenon from D3N. However, there appears one glaring error in your preamble D3N.
The Iron Maiden did not close down Pontefract Collieries for the simple reason it's not a coal mine - everyone knows it's a liquorice mine!
Alas, our opponents current form means diddly-squat to Stanley........
Charlton 3 - 1 Stanley
It’s a little-known fact, but she shut them down as well
Old 18-10-2021, 13:15   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
They're struggling, we're struggling - got nil apiece written all over it but I think we'll have one of our epiphany moments & win so I'm going for 1 - 0 to the Stanley boys please
I'm with you Di, walking through the storm with your head held high ....
1-0 Stanley for me too.
Old 18-10-2021, 14:42   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I'm with you Di, walking through the storm with your head held high ....
1-0 Stanley for me too.
I’ve walked through the storm for years, seldom ever predicting a draw, let alone a defeat

All I got was wet
Chimer and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 18-10-2021, 15:25   #11

Charlton 1 Stanley 0
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 15:37   #12

Charlton 1 Stanley 1
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 17:13   #13
God Member

Stanley 2-0 Charlton.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:13   #14
Full Member+

Draw 2-2
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:28   #15
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Charlton Athletic 1 - 2 Accrington Stanley Please for me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..