Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2021, 09:55   #31
God Member

Re: Sheffield Wednesday home game.

Not for the first time this season, I thought the officials were poor - for both sides!!

The treatment of our players in the box and going forwards was terrible, but then I have just finished watching Burnley -v- Palace and Wood was wrestled to the floor and did not even get the decision????

If the so called best/better cannot get it right, what chance have we?????

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2021, 09:59   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Dear Mr Coleman,
I'm no expert on the technicalities of football coaching but I do know, to quote Albert Einstein, that -
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
That if you're prepared to play with only one forward up-front at home, you've already lost credibility as an attacking force.
That if you retreat into your own half as soon as opponents win back the ball, you allow them to attack in force.
That if you fail to press opponents at every opportunity, they will eventually overcome you.
That games are won & lost by what players do without the ball, as much as what they do with it.
After our recent results, perhaps it's time to get back to basics.
Some very, very good points your Lordship

Old 21-11-2021, 11:08   #33
God Member

did not see the game but no side can give the opposition at home a 3 goal start and really expect to get something out of it. at the end of the day it sounded as if they nearly did but nearly never won anything.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 12:02   #34

I was walking to the ground with some Sheffield fans and they said if you score first you won’t lose we haven’t come back from being behind for something like 5 years !! Anyway we didn’t and the rest is history.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 13:52   #35
God Member

Having watched the goals again and again I don't usually have a go at official,s has its the same for both sides and even,s up over a season but no way on earth should their first goal have stood Trafford clearly wrestled to the ground nine out of ten would have awarded a free kick very surprised John hasn't had a whinge.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 17:34   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Mumbongo,s first touch will improve with game time Butcher on the commentary mentioned Mumbongo has all the touches, strength and pace and a fierce shot on him in training has played seven premiership games for Burnley nothing to lose a must start for me at Burton Tuesday with the instructions to run and harrass their defenders it's called defending from the front.
Seven games .... but how many minutes on the pitch Andy ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 18:21   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Ignoring added minutes, 24 in the Cup, including an injury-time assist at MKD, and 36 in the League.
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 19:04   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Ignoring added minutes, 24 in the Cup, including an injury-time assist at MKD, and 36 in the League.
The relevant question isn’t minutes, it’s what’s the alternative?

Charles has committed hari-kiri, Bishop banned for one more game. Hardy, who isn’t exactly living up to his name, has had 8+ minutes of ‘men’s’ football. And, however impressive are the youth squad strikers, neither are yet ready.
At least Mansell is doing his best, but is barely out of the ‘reserves’, and he and Mumbongo and Malcolm look keen and willing to chase.
In other words, there is no obvious alternative.

Btw, talking of willing, one thing that’s been really bugging me from the Wednesday game was watching O’Sullivan in the warm up. He could barely be bothered to lift his feet, slacking at the back of his line chatting away to McConville. If he’s not fit and frightened of getting a strain what’s he doing on the pitch! If he’s just lazy, which it certainly looked like, what’s he doing on the pitch?
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 08:45   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
The relevant question isn’t minutes, it’s what’s the alternative?

Charles has committed hari-kiri, Bishop banned for one more game. Hardy, who isn’t exactly living up to his name, has had 8+ minutes of ‘men’s’ football. And, however impressive are the youth squad strikers, neither are yet ready.
At least Mansell is doing his best, but is barely out of the ‘reserves’, and he and Mumbongo and Malcolm look keen and willing to chase.
In other words, there is no obvious alternative.

Btw, talking of willing, one thing that’s been really bugging me from the Wednesday game was watching O’Sullivan in the warm up. He could barely be bothered to lift his feet, slacking at the back of his line chatting away to McConville. If he’s not fit and frightened of getting a strain what’s he doing on the pitch! If he’s just lazy, which it certainly looked like, what’s he doing on the pitch?
O, Sullivan hasn't been anywhere near the player we first saw on loan all those years ago IMHO in reply to Twenty eight who would you play up front has exile says not much of a choice and playing hopefully will improve the lad otherwise just send them back all the point of loanees is to play them and bring them on its irrelevant how many actual minutes on the pitch for Burnley that's nit picking
Old 22-11-2021, 12:31   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Dear Mr Coleman,
I'm no expert on the technicalities of football coaching but I do know, to quote Albert Einstein, that -
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
That if you're prepared to play with only one forward up-front at home, you've already lost credibility as an attacking force.
That if you retreat into your own half as soon as opponents win back the ball, you allow them to attack in force.
That if you fail to press opponents at every opportunity, they will eventually overcome you.
That games are won & lost by what players do without the ball, as much as what they do with it.
After our recent results, perhaps it's time to get back to basics.
I know sod all about coaching but by anybodys common sense 1 up front IS NOT attacking football.also if a defender gives away a goal then how the hell is it easyier to get it back?
Old 22-11-2021, 15:44   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
O, Sullivan hasn't been anywhere near the player we first saw on loan all those years ago IMHO in reply to Twenty eight who would you play up front has exile says not much of a choice and playing hopefully will improve the lad otherwise just send them back all the point of loanees is to play them and bring them on its irrelevant how many actual minutes on the pitch for Burnley that's nit picking
You're comment not misleading then ?
He hasn't played 7 times.
For the avoidance of doubt he should start.

My comment was to protect the lad from the assumption he's seen regular action at Premier level which is nonsense.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 15:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I know sod all about coaching but by anybodys common sense 1 up front IS NOT attacking football.also if a defender gives away a goal then how the hell is it easyier to get it back?
Cashy, in his interview pre Burton....Coley said he started with 2 up front against Sheff Wed. Mansell and Pell. He said it wasn't ideal and that Pell wasn't a striker, but he had agreed to play as one in the game.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 16:23   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Cashy, in his interview pre Burton....Coley said he started with 2 up front against Sheff Wed. Mansell and Pell. He said it wasn't ideal and that Pell wasn't a striker, but he had agreed to play as one in the game.
Why play Pell when there are Mumbongo and Malcolm on the bench and Hardy who has yet to see any appearance,s in the 18 to me that says do you really rate them are they doing enough in training strange one.
Watchdog likes this.
Old 22-11-2021, 16:39   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
I have heard the interview and hear what Coley says, but Pell is not a striker, whereas Joel and Jovan are

I have been saying for a while now, square pegs and triangular holes.......

Coley is shoehorning players in - at a cost.

Appreciate fully the issues around Dion, Colby, Joe Etc. but this is a separate issue

Watchdog likes this.

Old 22-11-2021, 16:39   #45
God Member

Quote:
Why play Pell when there are Mumbongo and Malcolm on the bench and Hardy who has yet to see any appearance,s in the 18 to me that says do you really rate them are they doing enough in training strange one.
Agree about the first bit Andy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..