Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2022, 19:37   #16
God Member

Re: The Crewe match thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Not a good start-locked out of my bet365 account. C'mon you reds.
I suppose we will have to let you off this time, but do not get cocky, or you know what will happen!!!
Kiwi John likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2022, 19:44   #17

I thought Crewe were really poor today, I don’t think Stanley played that well today and if we had been on it then it could easily have been 6 nil.
cashman likes this.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 22:06   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
It was a solid victory today winning 4-1 over a Crewe side low on confidence. Stanley were in charge throughout the match and really could have won by an even more handsome score.
Sykes was a dominant force again in defence but also in attack. At every set piece I was looking for him to score! His first half finish was a classic ‘Big Guy’ header! From my position just right of the goal in the Clayton End it was like watching in slow motion as Ross rose a good ‘head’ above the defenders. I could see his eyes fully focused on the incoming ball and without blinking he powered the header straight towards me and across and beyond the opposing keeper into the side netting! What a super goal from a player performing at his very best!
At half time we probably deserved to be two goals in front based on the amount of pressure that we had exerted on the Crewe defence.

My only gripe about the first half was the ridiculous amount of shirt pulling that Colby Bishop had to put with. I am all in favour of the referees directive to play the game as a ‘Physical’ form of rivalry and to keep the match action going. However, shirt pulling is not accidental contact, it is simply against the rules and can also endanger a players safety. The referee today took no action at all against the Crewe defenders in the first half and IMHO he simply failed to apply the rules of the game. Other than that the referee had a good game.
In the second half Stanley really took over and when the excellent Tommy Leigh scored the second goal we were fully in charge.Tommy had a super game as did most of the Stanley players. He constantly popped up all over the pitch both nipping the ball off opponents toes but also playing his part in some slick passing movements in building attacks.
It became a matter of how many goals we could score as the game proceeded and Sykes added another super headed goal and Sean ‘snuck’ a free kick in at the near post with the Crewe keeper perhaps a bit at fault for not getting down to his near post quickly enough!
It was just a shame that we conceded a soft goal at the end of the Match! Both Yeboah and Toby were probably at fault as the full back left it late to pass the ball back and Toby should/could have put the ball over the top of Whitney Hill! (Yes the hill not the Whitney Hill stand!) It was also a shame that Ross got a yellow card in added time for a ‘hand ball’ that occured about two feet from the Crewe player who got to the ball first. I think he will get a one match suspension now.
In conclusion though, the two successive victories this week should give the players the confidence to go forward knowing that when we are on form then we can beat any team in this League at home or away.
Coley once again sensibly substituted a player on a yellow card, Butcher, which was good match management and he also gave some game time to Longelo and Lewis.
Consistency is the key word for our boys as they move forward.
Once again the Clayton End were magnificent and they were very effective as a Twelfth Man with their constant vocal support through the whole of the match.
ON SANLEY ON
Stupid Predictive Text! Just noticed “Whitney Hill’. Of course I typed “WHINNEY HILL”.
MikeA likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 23:22   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Stupid Predictive Text! Just noticed “Whitney Hill’. Of course I typed “WHINNEY HILL”.
The man who invented predictive texting actually died last week.

He p1ssed away peacefully in his sheep, and his funfair is apparently next sundial

MikeA, Chimer, pifco and 2 others like this.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 23:32   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div3North View Post
The man who invented predictive texting actually died last week.

He p1ssed away peacefully in his sheep, and his funfair is apparently next sundial

Oh deer! That’s royally sod!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:35   #21
God Member

same with me cashy. thought it would be a real banana skin type of game with them fighting, or should have been, for their lives. if they had scored before the game was over say early on it might have been a different game. when defeats come regular its harder to really get bothered about them as you get too used to. apart from blips thankfully these days are over at the wham.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:36   #22
Senior Member+

"It was also a shame that Ross got a yellow card in added time for a ‘hand ball’ that occured about two feet from the Crewe player who got to the ball first. I think he will get a one match suspension now"

It's a two match ban sadly Choirboy for 10 yellows.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:47   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i thought that booking was ridiculous, mind most refs in all divisions have lost the plot i think.
Old 13-02-2022, 10:22   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i thought that booking was ridiculous, mind most refs in all divisions have lost the plot i think.
Just another one learning his trade at this level. Stanley seem to get more of their fair share of this type of official. like a lot of things in todays game some of these so called deliberate handballs would not have been deemed deliberate a few years back never mind a caution for them.
Old 13-02-2022, 10:23   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by widnes viking View Post
I thought Crewe were really poor today, I don’t think Stanley played that well today and if we had been on it then it could easily have been 6 nil.
Crewe were the worst Crewe side I have seen shocking in defence and I think you can be dragged down to their level all goals coming from set pieces is okay but didn't think our strikers played particularly well yesterday hopefully they strike a chord with one another because at Sheffield it will be a totally different opposition.
cashman, pifco and Watchdog like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 11:10   #26
God Member

well sheff.wed are higher up the league than crewe but like a few more in this league their past is far more above their present. nothing extra to worry about just because of a name.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..