Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2022, 11:20   #1
Senior Member+

Sheffield Wednesday Thread

Bit of a problem for me this one. My interest in Stanley dates back to 1963 and they were my favourite non league club post 1968 despite my proximity to Skelmersdale United. Family members played for both clubs. I am also a Lancastrian. Needless to say accession to the League in 2006 did nothing to dampen my enthusiasm. My support for Sheffield Wednesday dates back to 1975 though it too has it seeds in the early sixties and later grew from regular visits to the city in the 70's. I have lived in Yorkshire since 1989. I have access to a Sheffield season ticket for the match and expect to be right behind Coley's dug out though the match evokes mixed feelings. For instance in the first match I thought the first Wednesday goal should have been disallowed for physically blocking the Stanley goalkeeper. Will I be impartial and diplomatic?

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2022, 11:29   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sheffield Wednesday Thread

i have never been able to understand how a person can support 2 clubs? in the same country, can understand watching 2 if you move away, but to me supporting is something else.
Old 13-02-2022, 11:30   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i have never been able to understand how a person can support 2 clubs? in the same country, can understand watching 2 if you move away, but to me supporting is something else.
I have been to Stanley games eg at Leeds where a lot of Burnley fans have been supporting Stanley.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Old 13-02-2022, 12:01   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

true but if you talk to them and ask they support Burnley but love football, i watched Malaga when i lived in spain but was not a supporter. in fact im watching the womens match on telly now.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 13-02-2022, 13:03   #5
God Member

Wednesday 0-2 Rotherham sets us up for Wednesday on Wednesday ��
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 14:29   #6
God Member

Been reading a lot about the state of the pitch at Hillsborough today with heavy rain forecast for every day upto our game there could be a mudlark on Wednesday.
Old 13-02-2022, 14:48   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
true but if you talk to them and ask they support Burnley but love football, i watched Malaga when i lived in spain but was not a supporter. in fact im watching the womens match on telly now.
Rightly or wrongly its the way I am. I wasn't going to stop Stanley because them getting into the League might cause a conflict problem 15 years later. Nor will I stop supporting either of them between now and Wednesday or afterwards!

Post match if I was at home I would have two radios on and if they were interviewing Coley and Paul Sturrock simultaneously I couldn't stand to turn either of them off.
cashman likes this.

Old 13-02-2022, 14:52   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Wednesday 0-2 Rotherham sets us up for Wednesday on Wednesday ��
Yes. Wednesday missed a hatful of chances and were hit by a couple of breakaways. Rotherham have a habit of winning there. Saw Warnock mastermind them a win there a few years ago. Rotherham lost at Stanley of course and only narrowly beat Stanley at Rotherham.

Old 13-02-2022, 14:55   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Been reading a lot about the state of the pitch at Hillsborough today with heavy rain forecast for every day upto our game there could be a mudlark on Wednesday.
The pitch was never great as the Season wore on but it got inundated by the River Don next door a few years ago. When the water cleared it left the land drains blocked with mud and the pitch was diabolical. The then new owners apparently spent a lot of money trying to achieve a fix.

Old 13-02-2022, 15:07   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
Rightly or wrongly its the way I am. I wasn't going to stop Stanley because them getting into the League might cause a conflict problem 15 years later. Nor will I stop supporting either of them between now and Wednesday or afterwards!

Post match if I was at home I would have two radios on and if they were interviewing Coley and Paul Sturrock simultaneously I couldn't stand to turn either of them off.
Clearly, Haggis, you are a non-binary fan!
Perhaps only a draw would satisfy your dual (not divided) loyalties, but hope you enjoy the match whatever the outcome.
cashman likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 15:23   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

dont do for us all to be the same, cos i dont understand it means nowt really, just giving my take on it.
Old 13-02-2022, 15:45   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Mate I've supported Derby all of my life but met Ange in 2001 who lived on Whalley Road and after her Dad took me down to see the ground on my first visit to Accy on a dank Sunday morning I, as a footy fan, became enthralled with Stanley and still am and love everything they stand for, the fans, the people the club per se and was mortified when they drew Derby in the FA Cup but wanted Stanley to win as I knew it was far more important for Stanley purely from a financial point of view sadly it wasn't to be. Stanley were in the Unibond in 2001 and Derby in the Prem and never the twain shall meet but hey ho both will quite probably be in the same league next season! So yes Cashy you can support 2 clubs
Old 13-02-2022, 15:51   #13
Super Moderator

Haggis316

The Sheff Weds goal is 1 of the 19 KMD (key match decisions) that Coley referred to in his post match interview at Rotherham.

The wise sages said foul on Traff; so free kick to Stanley.

This then results in dis-order with the Wednesday fans and more costs to ASFC
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:34   #14
Senior Member+

Try being our club captain.
Married into a devout Sheffield Wednesday supporting family but all also Accy fans.
So much so that his two lads will wear separate kits - one in the blue stripes the other in red.
It's about the game.
May the best team win.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:53   #15
God Member

It's also the red rose versus the white of which you can only really support one come on Lancashire.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..