Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2022, 15:21   #31
Senior Member+

Re: 2021/22 Prediction League Game 46; v AFC Wimbledon (away)

Shurm Hangs On As Madness Descends On Plough Lane

The last recorded action on BBC live text was a corner to the Wombles on 90+5 - and if they'd scored from it, the Prediction League title would have headed off in Stevie R's direction. But they didn't , and so Shurm becomes the last winner of the Div3North/Chimer Prediction League (Invisible) Champions Cup - it's yours to keep matey!

You won't be surprised to learn that very few bonus points were earned as a result of this afternoon's goal-fest. Kiwi John's resulted in him being the only player to take home 4 points with his 4-0 prediction, while Lord Stiffupperlip and regular contrarian Valairian each got one for forecasting a 3-1 defeat. Nige B was the last person to see hopes of a maxi disappear when our fourth goal scuppered his 3-2 forecast. But with Shurm also forecasting a Stanley win, the countback rules meant even a maxi wouldn't have been enough for Nige. Like many others, they both took 3 points in the end.

I suspect Stevie, Ange B and Mike A were thinking tactically with two voting for a draw and Mike going for a loss, though Shurm left it late to show his hand. If he'd chosen to man-mark Stevie by going for a draw himself, that would have let Nige through the middle.

But as it was, Shurm finished up 2 points ahead of Nige who moved a further 2 ahead of Stevie R to claim second spot. Outside the (invisible) medals, Kiwi slid past Taypot into 7th, while Monkey Hanger went missing again and slipped from 9th to 12th, losing out to Stanley Josh, Valairian and Tommy McQueen. And in the lower reaches, a number of loyalists got ahead of a number of pragmatists/absenteees. Morecambe Red won the (invisible) Wooden Spoon and the (invisible) Visitor's Challenge Shield with 2 points from 2 goes. Kiwi John took the (invisible) International Award in 7th place

The points per game table was predictably "won" by Pifco with an average of 5.00, but if we only consider those who played more than once , Shurm comes out on top again with 2.14, with Nige and Stevie both on 2.00. Monkey Hanger also managed 2.00, but the person who might have done a whole heap better was LongLostSon, 17th overall with 69 from 34 guesses, a second-best average of 2.03. You gotta be in it (regularly ) to win it!

So it's roll on whoever wants to try their luck next season . The final final table is attached . I will be pulling together 12 years of meaningless statistics in another thread in a week or so ...... but it's goodbye from me , and it's goodbye from him .

Some people are on the pitch!

They Think We're All Over - We Are Now!
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2200430 - 30 Apr 22.doc (76.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 30-04-2022, 17:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Congrats to Shurm,well deserved.
Cheers mate it was close I even put some money on Wimbledon to draw with 10 mins left so at least if I lost I'd win some money haha.
Kiwi John and Stevie R like this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 17:47   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Shurm Hangs On As Madness Descends On Plough Lane

The last recorded action on BBC live text was a corner to the Wombles on 90+5 - and if they'd scored from it, the Prediction League title would have headed off in Stevie R's direction. But they didn't , and so Shurm becomes the last winner of the Div3North/Chimer Prediction League (Invisible) Champions Cup - it's yours to keep matey!

You won't be surprised to learn that very few bonus points were earned as a result of this afternoon's goal-fest. Kiwi John's resulted in him being the only player to take home 4 points with his 4-0 prediction, while Lord Stiffupperlip and regular contrarian Valairian each got one for forecasting a 3-1 defeat. Nige B was the last person to see hopes of a maxi disappear when our fourth goal scuppered his 3-2 forecast. But with Shurm also forecasting a Stanley win, the countback rules meant even a maxi wouldn't have been enough for Nige. Like many others, they both took 3 points in the end.

I suspect Stevie, Ange B and Mike A were thinking tactically with two voting for a draw and Mike going for a loss, though Shurm left it late to show his hand. If he'd chosen to man-mark Stevie by going for a draw himself, that would have let Nige through the middle.

But as it was, Shurm finished up 2 points ahead of Nige who moved a further 2 ahead of Stevie R to claim second spot. Outside the (invisible) medals, Kiwi slid past Taypot into 7th, while Monkey Hanger went missing again and slipped from 9th to 12th, losing out to Stanley Josh, Valairian and Tommy McQueen. And in the lower reaches, a number of loyalists got ahead of a number of pragmatists/absenteees. Morecambe Red won the (invisible) Wooden Spoon and the (invisible) Visitor's Challenge Shield with 2 points from 2 goes. Kiwi John took the (invisible) International Award in 7th place

The points per game table was predictably "won" by Pifco with an average of 5.00, but if we only consider those who played more than once , Shurm comes out on top again with 2.14, with Nige and Stevie both on 2.00. Monkey Hanger also managed 2.00, but the person who might have done a whole heap better was LongLostSon, 17th overall with 69 from 34 guesses, a second-best average of 2.03. You gotta be in it (regularly ) to win it!

So it's roll on whoever wants to try their luck next season . The final final table is attached . I will be pulling together 12 years of meaningless statistics in another thread in a week or so ...... but it's goodbye from me , and it's goodbye from him .

Some people are on the pitch!

They Think We're All Over - We Are Now!
Thanks, thanks and thanks again.............

DaveinGermany likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 18:51   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Gentlemen, I thank you, along with others on here for your dogged resolve every week to supply the participants with the fruits of your labours, another season done looking forward to the next.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 30-04-2022, 19:32   #36
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Gentlemen, I thank you, along with others on here for your dogged resolve every week to supply the participants with the fruits of your labours, another season done looking forward to the next.
Will second this, thankyou for all the time you put into running this it is much appreciated and very enjoyable! Enjoy your summer and see you next season!
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 21:18   #37
God Member

Great competition, intriguing previews. Congrats Shurm and many thanks Chimer.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:18   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
[B]The final final table is attached . It's goodbye from me , and it's goodbye from him .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Will second this, thankyou for all the time you put into running this it is much appreciated and very enjoyable! Enjoy your summer and see you next season!
You are very kind, but we both feel we've run out of words ........
Old 02-05-2022, 03:48   #39
Senior Member+

Thanks guys, another great season, what a Stanley family this is, fun both on and off the field, many congratulations to all involved.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:02   #40
God Member

Cheers looking forward to next season already you do a great job.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:35   #41

echo appreciation for our competition hosts and congrats to Shurm, who is obviously better at reading the tea leaves than rest of us. Have a great summer each.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..