Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2010, 18:40   #91
I am Banned

Re: OWL HALL and ACCRINGTON HOUSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ireland View Post
Can I ask a naive question is or was Accrington House at the top of sandy lane
thanks
Tony
At the top of Sandy Lane is Blue Slates Cottages.
Now if you mean the residential part of Sandy Lane, Barnfield area, there is a Broad Oak House.
Accrington House was 1/2 mile away, near Peel Park.
Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2010, 19:45   #92
Senior Member+

ACCRINGTON HOUSE was built by the first Jonathan Peel c1800 and demolished in 1889, when rows and rows of terraced properties were just springing up in our town. The house itself was situated on what is now OSWALD STREET and the grounds now built on by such streets as ...Washington, Bold, Cedar, Stanley and Avenue Parade. In its time, it was reputedly the largest and finest house in the district.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:39   #93

Thank you all once again
Tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:04   #94

Hi Kestrel,

I have just discovered your post. Lovely memory about Owl Hall. The lady you refer to was very likely the last of the Grimshaws that lived there and her name was Ivy. She was about 80 when she died in the hall in 1973. If you have an email address I can send you some clippings about Owl Hall. As I have just posted, I am currently working on a video with a local historian about Plantation Road and the properties in that area. You'll be pleased to learn the place hasd just been bought by someone from Haslingden who is having it restored to its former glory. Grerat news.

Lovin these posts about the area. Excellent. Thankyou everyone.
hilary halstead likes this.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:20   #95
Senior Member+

Owl hall

Is the new owner the gentleman who bought Stonefold Church and turned it into a house? Have recently heard that Planning Permission has been granted. I wonder what for? Would be interesting to know. You know Katex?
Hope the old cobbled road isnt touched in any way. This of course was the road which many clogs would have clattered down, on their way to work at Plantation Mill, the printworks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plantationroad.JPG (208.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 23-02-2011 at 16:23.
Old 23-02-2011, 17:27   #96
Senior Member+

Re: Owl hall

No he was the guy who has just sold it having struggled to get planning for what he wanted to do with it, and i think he may have gone bust.
Old 25-02-2011, 09:50   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Have recently heard that Planning Permission has been granted. I wonder what for? Would be interesting to know. You know Katex?
Havn't seen anything recently, Atarah. Maybe the new owner will carry on with the plans that were granted for the previous one ?

Pleased that it has been bought again though. The other owner seemed to have lots of controversial problems.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:00   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Havn't seen anything recently, Atarah. Maybe the new owner will carry on with the plans that were granted for the previous one ?

Pleased that it has been bought again though. The other owner seemed to have lots of controversial problems.
There's some work going on up there now Kate. Who the owner is now I'm not sure. Assume they're working to the original plans as you say. I'll have to make some enquires
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 17:26   #99
Senior Member+

Wonder if they will put the wall back like it was before.

IIRC 20+ yrs ago there where peacocks roaming the grounds?
Old 26-02-2011, 14:01   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Wonder if they will put the wall back like it was before.

IIRC 20+ yrs ago there where peacocks roaming the grounds?
Last time I saw it was 2002, it was an eyesore - the council should be ashamed for allowing them to destroy all the trees and bulldoze a mess from Ardenhall Lane to the house, through the wall. I wonder if they have put that back to what it was previously?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 10:48   #101

I have been producing a historical video on the plantation Road area for the past 3 months which has taken in the history of Arden Hall, Owl Hall and Plantation house. You should be able to see an article about it in this Friday's Accrington Observer. So, please allow me to correct a couple of errors in a previous post. I appreciate they were getting their information from someone else and so they too need correcting. If they are still around to do so.

Owl hall was the home of James Grimshaw around the 1840s who became the owner of Plantation Mill that was situated at the top end of Plantation road. His youngest son, William Denham Grimshaw had Plantation house built further along Plantation road from Owl Hall. The trees still line what was a driveway from Owl Hall to Plantation House. So, Plantation house was built long after Owl Hall.

Owl Hall may well have some ties with Plantation Mill when it was built, along with the Plantation Cottages nearby.

Another common mistake is with arden Hall, demolished in 1948 and originally built by Benjamin Hargreaves, after whom the primary school was named in his honour. The house at the rear of Arden Hall's grounds was the original coach house but has since adopted the name of Arden Hall.

Sorry if I sound pedantic I'm just a stickler for history being recorded correctly and this isn't the first time I've come across this error regarding Owl Hall.

BTW the rebuilding of Owl Hall is coming on great and true to their word they are using the original stone to restore it.

Last edited by Mikejoed; 19-04-2011 at 10:52.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 19:40   #102
Senior Member+

Ahh Mike you have been working with my Dad then!

Looking forward to seeing what you have been upto!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 19:32   #103
Senior Member+

Mike your pic's aint in the Observer this week.........must be next weeks
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 18:20   #104
Senior Member+

Hi, has anyone on here seen this fab video before? Love it!

ARCHIVE: Owl Hall Mansion, Accrington - NorthWest Exploration Forum
Old 26-04-2011, 06:01   #105

I'm reading with interest the fact that Owl Hall is being restored......gosh, what a mess to try and restore.....Thanks Atarah for your suggested website, saw some wonderful photographs.
My ancestors lived there in the 1870's, as Owl Hall was given as Henry Barnes's Address at the time of his brother's death 1879 (Robert Barnes).
As well, Jonathan Barnes and William Barnes resided with the Bridge family at Accrington House I believe......
If anyone has any history on this period I would be most interested.

Barnsie,
Australia
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..