Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2004, 15:30   #16
mez
God Member

Re: Chuch Kirk Early 1960s

yea i can i used to catch the 1/4 past seven to claytom le moors to work every morning if i missed that id to run to the top of henry st to catch the one all the way round, id be 5 mins late then, or if i was lucky id get a lift on a motor bike from one of the lads , he he he
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2004, 15:39   #17
God Member

Going back to the piccy's for a moment, is that Charlie Watts (Drummer with the Rolling Stones) in the second piccy?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 16:48   #18
Member.

Hi,

No not really Simon/Tealelf….No problem though.

The elder couple are my Grand Parents Rachel and Thomas Douglas. The house is the backroom of 15 Canal Street. My Nan suffered from severe ulcerations (Sores). Very painful and restricting, she would have been 52 then.

Tommy died in 1969 from the big one (Park Drive - red packet). Rachel died some time around 1974, she moved to a flat up Dill Hall after Tommy died. I last saw then in 1968. I still miss then and I will always regret not saying goodbye.

Atarah…now you understand why.

Hi Mez,

Who is your dad…my dads driving both buses, but not at the same time (Darby/Simon),…My Dad was Alan Douglas.

Do you remember milkshakes in the Copper kettle…?

Hello Tealeaf,

I use to take my dad a Billy can of tea (remember them) down to that bus stop over road from the Thorn…I always remember it as being there.

Your right Simon real people that is why I have allowed myself to post them, these are real people who lived and died though many hardships but always had time for others…A very Accrington attitude…

I hope everybody enjoys these pictures. Maybe it time for us to see some others from around the town. What say you Atarah…Lets see how all lived.

Last edited by Doug; 17-06-2004 at 19:55.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 05:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
ee doug my ex husband used to drive the old buses in the sixties, they used to come from church kirk to henry st, cross over to george st (passed our house) then down the tanpits rd, onto countess st & into accy, i know there was a hue & cry when they went onto O,MO, BUSES wot a laugh i can have now. memories.
Hey MEZ I didn't know you use to live in George Street!!!! I had a feeling your face was familiar, I'm trying to get the brain cells to remember, and look back to that era. Do you remember the Gudgeons??

Tealeaf - I can remember the bus stop at the Thorn as the buses use to go past the Thorn and turn round at the side of the Church. Bet you don't remember the Trams at Chuch Commercial though. The No. 46 was the Blackburn (stopping) bus and the No. 9 the Express, and we use to have to move out of teh road every hour for the Church Kirk bus....It use to play havoc with our football!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2004, 06:42   #20
mez
God Member

my dad was called bernard, but he didnt drive the buses doug, he went in tampits club a lot though. darby, yes i lived in george st, but we lived at 27, oswald st first , the lords used to live in george st first then my mum bought there house off them , i do remember the gudgeons, the websters , olwen & frank crawshaw, the scully, the fentons, the mcgollochlins veronica prendergast but to name a few, rosthorns, do you remember eddie peareson, raymond lowe. see i did live in church & yes i remember going to blackburn on the tram, wot a rickity ride that was ha ha ha (spelling )
Old 18-06-2004, 08:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
my dad was called bernard, but he didnt drive the buses doug, he went in tampits club a lot though. darby, yes i lived in george st, but we lived at 27, oswald st first , the lords used to live in george st first then my mum bought there house off them , i do remember the gudgeons, the websters , olwen & frank crawshaw, the scully, the fentons, the mcgollochlins veronica prendergast but to name a few, rosthorns, do you remember eddie peareson, raymond lowe. see i did live in church & yes i remember going to blackburn on the tram, wot a rickity ride that was ha ha ha (spelling )
Eddie Pearson! use to play cricket with him in the Accy league. He use to live in Exchange Street, but that was over 20 years ago. Haven't seen him for donkeys.

Scully, Frank Crawshaw I remember well. OK I now am sure you use to live in Church. I use to libve at 12 Oswald Street, but that was more than 55 years ago!!! Must be getting old now. Was due my bus pass earlier this month, but they don't give 'em in Germany!!!
Old 18-06-2004, 08:55   #22
Member.

Hi Mez,

Sorry, I ment who was your husband that drove the buses.

I remember gudgeons...

Last edited by Doug; 19-06-2004 at 00:14.
Old 18-06-2004, 09:39   #23

Do any of you remember Raymond Tatershall.

He lived either on Canal Street or the street opposite the shop next to the School (St. James in the direction of the Thorn). He became a Ladies hairdresser, and was quite a clever lad. His mum and dad were always very good to me (we 'ad now't in them days). He went to Church Kirk and then I think he went to Rhyddings School before starting work. I have never come across him for 40 years.

Any memories?
Old 18-06-2004, 10:39   #24
mez
God Member

darby if you played cricket with eddie then you quite possibly know my older brother bernard he has red hair, do you also remember barry schofield & his cousin iris, as for raymond tatt i cant recall him our kid might know ill ask him when i speak to him next,
Old 18-06-2004, 10:51   #25
Member.

Hi,

Anyone remember the chap in Canal Steet who only had one arm. He had lost the lower part from the elbow.

Also the Bradshaws or Hannans from Canal St.
Old 18-06-2004, 11:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
darby if you played cricket with eddie then you quite possibly know my older brother bernard he has red hair, do you also remember barry schofield & his cousin iris, as for raymond tatt i cant recall him our kid might know ill ask him when i speak to him next,
Yes I knew Bernard, I think it was when I played for the Cavaliers CC. I remember him from Chuch days. Barrie Schofield as well. But remember, I left Accy in 1959, came back in 1964, and left again in 1969. After that all is a blur (must be the Thwaites).
Old 19-06-2004, 20:06   #27
Junior Member+

Last edited by jess^; 21-06-2004 at 19:55.
jess^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 20:47   #28
Member.

Rheumatoid arthritis is treated in many way’s…the dark objects seen are ties and if you look closely you will see that it is a dressing cast that she is wearing.

However, I can assure you that my grandmother suffered for ulceration of the legs.
Old 19-06-2004, 20:56   #29
God Member

Excellent photo's Doug, thanks for sharing those with us.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 21:28   #30
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Excellent photos. Me and Grego are originally Church lasses, but I wasn't born until 1968 and Grego in 1970, so it's a bit before our time. I bet my dad remembers some of these scenes. He is also a bus driver, and has been since about 1966/7, so he may well remember your dad.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..