Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 17:22   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Chuch Kirk Early 1960s

I lived in Maden St from about '56 to '61, and then my wife Anne went back and lived with my mother when i got posted to Borneo - that was Dec '63 to Jan '64. My mother had the confectioner's shop facing the Clock Tower. The Ribble bus was often held up because my dog used to lie in the road and the driver would get out and tell him to move, which he always did. I didn't spend much social time in Church, but did frequent all the local hostelries frequently - i had discovered girls and nearly always they were foreigners from Haslingden and other foreign climes, but I still have fond memories - Thorn, Cross Guns, Queen's, Stag, Tanpits and Tanpits Club. Happy days.
holtsign likes this.
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2010, 19:44   #47

I lived next to the butchers on Church Street in the hardware shop this picture was taken round the back, I can remember the coal yard over the back, and all the power cuts we had. I also went to church Kirk school 1969.those were the days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D80.jpg (7.8 KB, 53 views)
holtsign likes this.
MOUSEUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:09   #48
God Member

wow, i've never seen this thread before, my mum was born on John street in 1945 and lived there for years, her aunt Vera lived on John street from the day she was born until 1996 when she sadly passed away, she lived at number 16, her name was Vera Heys, had sisters called Sheila and Eunice and i think a brother called Dougie, their mother (my great gran) was called Ursula Demaine (later Heys) lived to the ripe old age of 96 and died in 1986..... my dads cousin was the first woman bus driver in Lancashire
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:42   #49

Flashy I don’t remember allot as I was 4 when we moved away but my Dad remembers more, they used to live in a room if that what you call it I think it was called bank top in church I may be wrong. Before they bought the shop. I once got a photo taken in the park in the sand pit opposite the new fire station .It was called the odd one out.there were 4 of us with blonde hair,I was the odd one out as the other 3 were brothers.lol
MOUSEUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 21:01   #50
God Member

lol, i wasn't born until 1976 and i wasn't brought up in Church, we lived all over the place when i was growing up, Rishton (so i'm told) Peel Court in Ossy (parents worked there and we lived in one of the houses attached to the home) and then up Dill Hall Lane way
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 22:22   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I lived in Maden St from about '56 to '61, and then my wife Anne went back and lived with my mother when i got posted to Borneo - that was Dec '63 to Jan '64. My mother had the confectioner's shop facing the Clock Tower. The Ribble bus was often held up because my dog used to lie in the road and the driver would get out and tell him to move, which he always did. I didn't spend much social time in Church, but did frequent all the local hostelries frequently - i had discovered girls and nearly always they were foreigners from Haslingden and other foreign climes, but I still have fond memories - Thorn, Cross Guns, Queen's, Stag, Tanpits and Tanpits Club. Happy days.
what about the Bridge n Wellington Barrie? were ya barred?
Old 27-05-2010, 19:59   #52

Mick,
Thanks for the photos, I am a Church lad born and bred and still live around the corner from the Thorn Inn. It's good to see what it was like back in those days. If you have any more photos of the Church area then I would definately be interested.
Mark.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 20:04   #53

Doug
Thanks for the photos, I am a Church lad born and bred and still live around the corner from the Thorn Inn. It's good to see what it was like back in those days. If you have any more photos of the Church area then I would definately be interested.
Mark.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 06:07   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what about the Bridge n Wellington Barrie? were ya barred?
Never liked the Bridge, apologies for forgetting the Wellington the landlord was (Herbet Hall), a friend of the family - even had a lock-in the night my eldest was born - he was in QP and we were in the Wellington.
Old 28-05-2010, 11:19   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Gotta say the "Bridge" was never one of mine, used to do the welly disco late 70s early 80s.
Old 11-07-2010, 16:40   #56
Junior Member+

I also lived in George Street at number 2 the bus stop was right outside our house,got warned on numerous occasions by the police for playing footy in the street (the bus stop was one of the goal posts) also got plenty of stick off the greengrocer on the corner Mrs Price.
Peter Ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:25   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ashworth View Post
I also lived in George Street at number 2 the bus stop was right outside our house,got warned on numerous occasions by the police for playing footy in the street (the bus stop was one of the goal posts) also got plenty of stick off the greengrocer on the corner Mrs Price.
Was the greengrocers on the corner of Maden St?
Old 11-07-2010, 19:27   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Gotta say the "Bridge" was never one of mine, used to do the welly disco late 70s early 80s.
Is that why it isn't a pub anymore?
Old 15-11-2010, 05:51   #59

Re Church: Ive just spend the past couple of hours looking at the posts regarding Chrch. They certainly brought back happy memories. Although I left to live in Accrington in the earl 50s with my family I still have fond memories of the place, I was even in in the St James Church Choiur (until they found out what was wrong with the organ - still the Rev Stevens kept a lovely drop of wine)

Visited the old area in 1998 whilst on a nostalgia trip from Australia, was cetainly surprised to see that many of the streets and landmarks (Police Station, Church Kirk School etc) had been bulldozed down and the places were like bomb sites. Looking back I recall people like " Beryl Blackledge, Derek FaircloughJune Moreton, Sheila Broderick ' The Hammerton Brothers from down the Tanpits Way,Roy Fyshwick, Brian Yates, Johnny Hargreaves oh the list could go on and on if only my memory did'nt fail me. So please keep an old man happy and keep on posting.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:43   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The shop on the corner of John Street was Hamers...a general grocery store....opposite was Mrs Bushes fish and chip shop....other corner a toffee shop, can't remember the name (Smithies?) on the other corner opposite Church Kirk School was a grocer called John Holden...He had a daughter who took over the chip shop when Mrs Bush retired (Pat Holden)

I remember a mixture and fish was then 1 shilling and two pence.
in todays funny money that is 6p and no vat.

A mixture and a fish was fish chips and peas....in a basin which you provided.

Happy days
It was indeed Smithies sweet shop It was run by my mother Margaret. I was only little when we left there and moved to Stanley St so I can't remember the name of the people that bought the shop after us. We used to frequent Mrs Bush's chip shop too, pure nectar.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..